54009Re: Is a backyard observatory worth it?

  • carl_creamer_2000
    Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Gordon:
      You have a very interesting and ingenious set-up.
      Can you supply any details on the observatory building itself(not the
      latice work)?
      Like plans, did you make or buy or anything else that describes the
      details of the building.
      Thanks

      Carl

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "mandellgl" <gmandell@...> wrote:

      > Friends:
      >
      > Even though my suburban skys are at best mag 4.5, I'm glad that I
      > have a "backyard" (its really 10' off the ground on an extension of
      > my back deck) observatory.
      >
      > I also had to deal with my neighborhood community association. My
      > solution was to put a wooden lattice enclosure around the Tele-
      > Station that matches the deck. Most people in the neighborhood
      think
      > there's a hot tub behind the enclosure.
      >
      > He is a picture of my observatory during the Winter.
      >
      > http://mandellgl.smugmug.com/gallery/858342/1/38685978
      >
      > Gordon Mandell
      > Pittsburgh, USA
      >
      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Wodaski - Yahoo <yahoo@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Speaking as someone who set up a C14 on a Paramount mount out in
      my
      > > front yard for three years (!!!), and now has an observatory, I
      can
      > say
      > > that I vastly prefer the observatory. <G>
      > >
      > > I would go so far as to say if you image at all, it's worth
      > considering
      > > an observatory just to avoid the hassles of setting up and
      tearing
      > down
      > > - even if your setup isn't as heavy as mine was.
      > >
      > > In your case, a roll-off observatory would probably work well
      with
      > the
      > > HOA rules. It can be made to look quite ordinary and need not be
      > very large.
      > >
      > > Ten years is a lot of setting up and taking down.
      > >
      > > Ron Wodaski
      > >
      > > eja24601 wrote:
      > > > Greetings all,
      > > >
      > > > We had an unusual spell of five clear nights a row where we
      live.
      > > > Over those five nights, I only managed to go out imaging over
      one
      > of
      > > > those nights. Since it was a weeknight, I was not out very late.
      > > >
      > > > I set up and tear down each session, which is one of the
      various
      > > > reasons why I'm not out shooting every clear night.
      > > >
      > > > My wife has given the green light for us to at least explore
      the
      > > > possibility of building us a backyard observatory. The biggest
      > > > advantage this would give would be that on nights like last
      week
      > > > can pretty much just open the roof and start shooting.
      > > >
      > > > There are a lot of challenges in the way of this becoming a
      > reality
      > > > for us (HOA rules, though I believe they have been amended to
      > allow
      > > > an external building within certain guidelines, etc.). One that
      > I'm
      > > > somewhat concerned about is light pollution.
      > > >
      > > > We don't exactly live in a dark area (typical suburban skies).
      > I've
> [...]
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic