question

  • tscalibrary
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hello All,

      I am Warner Seem's assistant at TSCA. We wanted to invite our library
      consultant to the LOOM group, any ideas on how to do that?

      Thank you!
      Emilie Unterweger

      Tri-State College of Acupuncture
      80 Eighth Avenue, Suite 400
      New York, NY 10011
    • David Sale
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        Emilie:

        Could you please get in touch with Della Lawhon at NESA
        (dlawhon@...) concerning this issue. I am also copying Della on this
        e-mail. Della recently asked about the possibility of persons who are
        not affiliated with any Council member college being part of the LOOM Yahoo
        Group, such as librarians and acupuncturists not from AOM schools,
        researchers, or just any interested person. Per your e-mail query, outside
        consultants to AOM school libraries might be another category.

        I mentioned to Della that in general, participation in Council
        committee activities (including those of LOOM) is a benefit of membership in
        the Council. Thus, only representatives from the Council's member colleges
        participate in committee work and meetings. However, in view of the fact
        that this issue is of first impression, and partly because LOOM could be
        viewed a little differently in some respects than other committees because
        of its interdependency with non-AOM library networks, Della and I were
        inclined to let LOOM have a discussion concerning the matter at the Chicago
        LOOM meeting.

        One issue is whether there may be different categories of persons
        who could rightfully participate in LOOM meetings and/or the LOOM Yahoo
        Group. For example, is there a valid distinction between someone who is
        actively working with a member school library as a consultant and other
        outside persons? Suppose LOOM wanted to invite an outside consultant to
        address its meeting...that would not seem to be a problem inasmuch as the
        Council has brought in outside persons to assist with weekend workshops and
        with plenary panel presentations on certain subjects, such as technology in
        the classroom. Certainly, it would be in the interest of the Council to
        assist LOOM in its work, but consistent with what I believe is a valid
        principle that participation in Council activities and committees is a
        benefit for members only. These are some of the issues that could be
        discussed at the LOOM meeting and perhaps form the basis of a recommendation
        by LOOM.

        Because of the importance of this issue for LOOM and the general
        principle of participation in Council activities as a member benefit, I have
        also copied Council President Lixin Huang on this e-mail.

        Thank you,

        David

        David M. Sale
        3909 National Drive