Re: [ccaomloom] booklist

  • Ewa Hammer
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 13, 2007
      Naomi,

      I agree completely with what you say. However, in my opinion, there is great value in having some baseline for a young program with limited resources to justify its basic collection. I agree it should not be called 'Best Books' as that is a highly subjective judgment, but perhaps 100 Basic Books that can provide a foundation to build upon. Again, that is not to say a different 100 could not with equal validity be selected by a college, but this is a sample or model list that can be used as is or as a template/guide.

      Ewa
      On Apr 11, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Naomi Broering wrote:

      Jim,

      I need to know on who’s authority were the top “100 ACAOM best books” selected?  Are they degreed MLS librarians, and faculty?

      I think what people consider the best books is highly subjective and depends on what the various college faculty choose to use for their classes.

      We should avoid this best label unless we are absolutely certain.

      I think a list of 100 selected books In OM might be more suitable.  We do not want to label it the Best Books if only one person selected them.  Would this require review by a special ACAOM faculty.

      Besides this will change constantly.

      nbroering@pacificcollege.edu

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 13, 2007
        Message
        Thanks Jim - I assume that the titles in bold are "core" title??  Dan
        i am attaching a copy of the ACAOM best 100 book list.  the current list i am working on will have most of these titles but will also show additional information.

        I'm very interested in the book list. Will not be able to attend the
        meeting. What other items are on the agenda?

        Rebecca

        --- In ccaomloom@yahoogrou ps.com, "emd89bz" <emd89bz@... > wrote:

        > A reminder that the Library subcommittee will meet on Wednesday,
        May
        > 9th from 1:30 to 5:00 pm. I hope that many of our members will
        > attend. Some items for the agenda might include basic book lists(a
        > work in progress I will finish soon), journal and periodical
        sources,
        > online catalog possibities and finding material support and
        resouces
        > for the libraries. If you have an item you would like to discuss,
        > please email me through this yahoo group or directly to
        > library@...
        >
        > I look forward to seeing many of you in New Orleans in May.
        >
        > Jim Emdy

        TV dinner still cooling?

      • thorns2go
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2007
          I'm not able to view your booklist attachment. When I go to the
          message (below - from the group site) it says that the attachment
          did not attach. Can you help me out. Responces sound like others are
          able to view it.
          thanks

          _______________

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2007
            i will work on it today.
            jim

            ____________ ___
            > Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
            > http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_tools. html

            Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
          • David Bowles
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 17, 2007
              Another good source of information in compiling a booklist is from the Institute of Traditional Medicine in Oregon.
              C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\ICAOM\Library\Assessment\Resources for the Study of Chinese Medicine I_ Books and Journals.htm
              Look forward to seeing a good list.

              i couldn't find the original email giving the source.  i will continue looking. i am working on a booklist of OM and indicating which agencies or entities are using or recommending them, e.g. California Acupuncture Board, Nationals, etc.  it will not be a "best book list" but should show what is out there and who recommends or uses the items.

              I need to know on who’s authority were the top “100 ACAOM best books” selected?  Are they degreed MLS librarians, and faculty?

              I think what people consider the best books is highly subjective and depends on what the various college faculty choose to use for their classes.

              We should avoid this best label unless we are absolutely certain.

              I think a list of 100 selected books In OM might be more suitable.  We do not want to label it the Best Books if only one person selected them.  Would this require review by a special ACAOM faculty.

              Besides this will change constantly.

              Naomi

              Naomi C. Broering, MLS , MA . FACMI
              San Diego , CA 92108-4407
              nbroering@pacificco llege.edu

              i am attaching a copy of the ACAOM best 100 book list.  the current list i am working on will have most of these titles but will also show additional information.

              I'm very interested in the book list. Will not be able to attend the
              meeting. What other items are on the agenda?

              Rebecca

              --- In ccaomloom@yahoogrou ps.com, "emd89bz" <emd89bz@... > wrote:

              > A reminder that the Library subcommittee will meet on Wednesday,
              May
              > 9th from 1:30 to 5:00 pm. I hope that many of our members will
              > attend. Some items for the agenda might include basic book lists(a
              > work in progress I will finish soon), journal and periodical
              sources,
              > online catalog possibities and finding material support and
              resouces
              > for the libraries. If you have an item you would like to discuss,
              > please email me through this yahoo group or directly to
              > library@...
              >
              > I look forward to seeing many of you in New Orleans in May.
              >
              > Jim Emdy

              TV dinner still cooling?

              with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.