interim report from library chair to execuetive CCAOM

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2013
    • 28 KB

    Iinterim report on selected issues for distribution  to chairpeople before the Salem meeting in November.  Compiled by committe chair Jim Emdy, with comments from committee members.:

    .

    1. Rejoining internal ccaom.net

    CCAOM.NET has been reactivated; we will have to rebuild memberships, documents etc. I recommend we go to the new NET; please send your e-mail address to David Sale <executivedirector@...>, ensuring that the e-mail address ends in the name of their school (e.g., fivebranches.edu). In this way, David  can maintain the continuing security and integrity of the site for all CCAOM members going forward.

    2. Standards for First Professional Doctorate and implications for libraries

    Criterion 9-2: Library Resources and Access

    A. The sponsoring institution's library must include adequate space and access time appropriate to the numbers of learners enrolled in the program.

    Who defines “adequate space” and “access time?”  Does access online count?

    Chair comments: these terms are probably defined in terms of the mission and teaching methods of any given institution.

    I might at that in general libraries will be expected to enhance research and literacy requirements, meaning the library should have in-house or in conosrt with other institutions a robust set of onlight resources.

    Criterion 9-3: Professional Librarian

    A. The institution must employ one or more professional librarians with expertise in library development, acquisitions, cataloging, management, and on-line research.

    What is the definition of “professional librarian?”  MLS?

    Bethyn A. Boni, M.L.S., Library Director

    Professional Librarian really means a Degreed Librarian, which is an MLS degree from an accredited University Library & Information Science School.

    Naomi Broering

     3. Any further action on consortium issues.

    In these tight economic times, a concerted effort for CCAOM libraries to support a consortial program is vital.

    I have suggested considering consortial subscriptions to save money.  Membership in SCLEC for reduced fees, and/or arrangements with OVID E Books on TCM, and others such as CINAHL and ALTHealthwatch databases, because these cover topics of interest to us.  (From Naomi)

     First off, It makes sense to pool schools, alumni and NCCAOM (people and resources) to offer access to articles from subscription databases. Especially if abstracts point to an article per se that is 30$ .  Do the 53 college libraries have interlibrary loan? I am about half way through looking at all the websites and have even virtually gone to Austrailia and found a good acupuncture libguide there.

    DOAJ and Acutrials are good.  Though the latter only (free for now) includes two kinds of studies, not case studies which is more realistic than  protocol ...

    Later,
    Doreen O'Sullivan LAc.

    Action items for meeting in May 2014 in San Antonio:

    **Bring committee members into new CCAOM.NET

    **Form active committee on consortium issues.

    **eBook possibilies

    **Library role in relation to FPD.

  • Andi Houston
    Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2013