Draft minutes of Idaho meetimg May 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2013
      PLEASE NOTE: THIS WILL BE THE LAST MAJOR DOCUMENT SUBMITTED TO THE YAHOO GROUP (SEE ITEM ON CCAOM.NET). PLEASE LET ME KNOW OF ANY CORRECTIONS, OMMISIONS, ETC CONTAINED IN THESE MINUTES.

      Draft minutes of Library Committee of AOM, Idaho 2013
      Attendance at LCAOM meeting in Coeur d'Alene, May 16, 2013
      Chair: Jim Emdy, Librarian, Five Branches University,librarian@...
      Paul Karsten, President, SIOM, pkarsten@...
      Vladimir O'brigida, Director, CSTCM, director@...
      Jim Bare, Administrative dean, NYCTCM, admin_dean@...
      By telephone:
      Anne Mackereth, Assistaant Professor, Greenawalt Library, Northwest Health Sciences University, amackereth@...
      Naomi Broering, Dean of Libraries, PCOM, nbroering@...
      Sara Wang, Director of Learning Center, ACTCM,Aileenhuang@...
      Andi Houston, Library Coordinator, Academy for Five Elements Acupuncture, andi.houston@...
      Lisa Wood, Librarian, Southwest Acupuncture School, lwood@...
      Bethyn Boni, Library Director, New York Chiropractic College, bboni@...
      Item one: Migration to CCAOM.NET.
      The CCAOM.NET site offers many features not available in the current Yahoo group. Moving the LCAOM yahoo group to CCAOM.NET brings the committee in line with other committees which are using this site. It was decided to complete the move to the new site within six months. New documents and files will appear only at CCAOM.NET. Please sign up for the new site. You will be approved as soon as possible. Please note the following requirement:
      The e-mail should end in the name of the school; e.g., fivebranches.edu. In this way, we can establish some integrity to the site if someone leaves a school and is no longer eligible to participate.
      Item Two (Agenda item Five): Live meetings or virtual?
      A discussion about format of LCAOM meetings resulted in a decision to do the following:
      **One meeting using web virtual applications such as Gotomeeting or Google Plus hangout.
      **One meeting a year face to face; no telephone assistance will be provided.
      A majority of respondents favored Gotomeeting as a vehicle for contact. Members are encouraged to examine various meeting applications and come to a consensus on which to choose.
      I suggest we decide whether the next meeting should be face-to-face in Salem, MA in November, or to use the virtual mode. Since we just met live in Idaho, I suggest we use the virtual mode next time, assuming we can work out the details. I also suggest we hold this meeting before the next CCAOM meeting. This will allow for some communication to the Counsel at large.
      Item three (not on the Agenda): Informal group to provide ILL.
      After some discussion, we recommended that those institutions which are willing to share journals and other physical materials such as books or DVDs to develop an informal working arrangement. One College has already signed up. We would have to establish some general guidelines such as who pays postage, what happens if an item gets lost, etc. If your institution is interested, please email the chair.
      Item four (Agenda item 2-3): Adding eBooks to the collection.
      Most libraries now offer access to electronic books and media. It would appear that at the moment few OM libraries have this service. We discussed various aspects of the issue. Two vendors, Ovid from Elsevier, and Thieme, a German company, were mentioned. Costs vary according to which database is selected and size of the institution. It was suggested that interested libraries join the Southern California Electronic Library Consortium as affiliate members. As a group working through SCELC, it might be possible to get discounted rates. Each member would be responsible for payment, etc.
      eBook services typically provide unlimited access to digitally stored materials, limited by a time limit, e.g. two weeks, after which the item would be unavailable unless renewed. It is similar to borrowing physical material from a library. Updated texts are purchased at discounted rates and might appear before hard copy is available.
      If we wish to move forward on this, we will need to
      *create a list of interested libraries
      **determine which vendors and collections are desired.
      ***determine whether we can achieve savings through SCELC.
      A representative from OVID suggested savings could be realized through informal group affiliations.
      If interested, please email the chair.
      Item five (Agenda item 4): Increased demand on libraries for research assistance.
      With changes in decisions from the Department of Education and requirements for accreditation based on competency, it is evident that libraries will be asked to provide more services such as electronic databases and research tools to support these requirements. This could provide more integration between libraries and instruction, advocacy of literature awareness, etc. A good first step is to join the DocLine program offered by PubMed. It is free and very useful for getting full text articles not otherwise available. Libraries can take the lead in this new environment.
      Item six (not on Agenda): Case Report Research Repository.
      Members are encouraged to examine a new resource for case reporting in integrative medicine. The website is www.casere3.org. You may also contact Martha Menard at Martha@... for more information.
      NEXT MEETING OF THE CCAOM WILL BE NOVEMBER 4-8 IN SALEM MA.