item for chicago meeting: mixed method research

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2012
      Here are two articles on using quantitative and qualitative research methods in tandom. item for agenda in chicago april

      http://mmr.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/1/1/77
      Mixed Methods Sampling: A Typology With Examples.

      From Journal of Mixed Methods Research 2007; 1; 77, by
      Charles Teddlie and FenYu
      http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/early/2008/11/13/ptj.20070236.full.pdf
      Advancements in physical therapy research:use of mixed methods

      From Physical Therapy, Online publication November 2008, by Lauren Rauscher and Bruce Greenfield

      In PubMed, "mixed methods" is keyword only; qualitative research is a MeSH term. I believe mixed method research is a promising approach to examining the efficacy of OM.
    • Daniele Perez-Venero
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2012
        Here are two very  recent articles about Mixed Methods Research found in PubMed:

        1.Comput Inform Nurs. 2012 Mar 9. [Epub ahead of print]

        Criteria for Quantitative and Qualitative Data Integration: Mixed-Methods Research Methodology.

        Lee S, Smith CA.

        Source

        Author Affiliations: School of Nursing, Adelphi University, Garden City, NY (Dr Lee); and College of Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago (Dr Smith).

        Abstract

        Many studies have emphasized the need and importance of a mixed-methods approach for evaluation of clinical information systems. However, those studies had no criteria to guide integration of multiple data sets. Integrating different data sets serves to actualize the paradigm that a mixed-methods approach argues; thus, we require criteria that provide the right direction to integrate quantitative and qualitative data. The first author used a set of criteria organized from a literature search for integration of multiple data sets from mixed-methods research. The purpose of this article was to reorganize the identified criteria. Through critical appraisal of the reasons for designing mixed-methods research, three criteria resulted: validation, complementarity, and discrepancy. In applying the criteria to empirical data of a previous mixed methods study, integration of quantitative and qualitative data was achieved in a systematic manner. It helped us obtain a better organized understanding of the results. The criteria of this article offer the potential to produce insightful analyses of mixed-methods evaluations of health information systems.

        PMID: 22411415 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

        Related citations

        Click here to read

        2.Man Ther. 2012 Mar 7. [Epub ahead of print]

        Mixed methods research - So far easier said than done?

        Mengshoel AM.

        Source

        Department of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Box 1089 Blindern, Oslo, Norway.

        Abstract

        Mixed methods research (MMR) involves the application of both quantitative and qualitative approaches in a single study, and has been advocated for physiotherapy research. MMR studies are considered to be useful in cases where several different but related research questions are examined or when the purpose is to triangulate quantitative and qualitative data addressing one research question. Few MMR studies have been published in physiotherapy journals, and no papers are found to discuss the actual experience of conducting an MMR study. In this paper an MMR study is used to exemplify how a study applying a concurrent triangulation design was performed, and some aspects related to performing MMR are discussed. Some challenges are identified, and questions are raised about how to incorporate the findings of the two data sets and which skills are needed for doing MMR.
        Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

        PMID: 22405885 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

        Related citations

        Click here to read

        Daniele Perez-Venero, MLIS
        Health Sciences Librarian
        Acupuncture & Massage College
        10506 N. Kendall Drive
        Miami, FL 33176
        Tel.: 305-595-9500
        www.amcollege.edu

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2012

        Attached is an article from Drexel University regarding the paradigm shift in accreditation and assessment of libraries, from the old model of attending to “inputs” (how many books, hours of operation, staffing, etc.) to the new model of attending to “outputs” (how well does the library contribute to student success regarding learning outcomes in the curricula, particularly in the areas of critical thinking and information literacy?).  All the best,  Rick Severson, NCNM library

[...]

        Error! Filename not specified.

[...]

        From Journal of Mixed Methods Research 2007; 1; 77, by
        Charles Teddlie and FenYu
        http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/early/2008/11/13/ptj.20070236.full.pdf
        Advancements in physical therapy research:use of mixed methods

        From Physical Therapy, Online publication November 2008, by Lauren Rauscher and Bruce Greenfield

        In PubMed, "mixed methods" is keyword only; qualitative research is a MeSH term. I believe mixed method research is a promising approach to examining the efficacy of OM.

      • Boni, Bethyn A. M.L.S.
        Message 4 of 6 , Mar 26, 2012

          What is the agenda item?  Why are we looking at these two research methods?  Are we looking to compare the two methods to evaluate a library?  Is the discussion just to educate us on the types of survey methods we could/should use? I would not think it to our advantage to have an accrediting body tell us which type of survey to use. :-)

          Bethyn

          Bethyn A. Boni, M.L.S., Library Director

          Message 5 of 6 , Mar 26, 2012
            the item on research methods is intended to be informational only.  it has nothing to do with specific requirements for survey methods.

            Message 6 of 6 , Mar 26, 2012

              I found the links and references very informative.  The article re: Drexel libraries was of particular interest.

              Thank you.