liaison between library and herbal committees

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23 4:07 PM
      I invited Jason Wright, Chair of the Herbal Committee, to address the library committee. here is his response:
      Hi Jim,

      Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the Library Committee meeting in Chicago, as I need to attend the ACAOM public hearing on the first professional doctorate.

      The issue with prepared medicine information that has recently arisen has nothing to do with libraries and their related resources. The issue is that herb vendors cannot provide information to the general public that relates their products to clinical conditions, as this violates FDA regulations. Schools can, and should, be the primary resource for instructional material related to clinical use of formulas and prepared products.

      This issue is a challenging one for the herbal products industry, and as access to information from companies is limited, it should result in more practitioners using library resources. Basic guidance for libraries is to be sure resources related to prepared products are available, including contacting vendor companies to request any printed product literature they may have available.

      I will be working with Skye Sturgeon of Mayway to explore additional possibilities, and as I uncover more information, I can let you know. The Herbal Committee meeting is Thursday morning. If we discuss this topic, you are more than welcome to attend.

      Jason
      This will be an agenda item for Chicago in April