RE: [ccaomlcaom] History of Medicine database

  • Candise Branum
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5 12:47 PM

      I have – it looks very cool! Unfortunately, a lot of the historical work students do is about Europe or Asia, not the Americas…

      I also know about the History of Medicine subset in PubMed, but if anyone has any other suggestions as well, it would be much appreciated!

      Candise Branum, MLIS

      College Librarian

      Oregon College of Oriental Medicine

      10525 SE Cherry Blossom Drive

      Portland, OR 97216

      503-253-3443 ext.134 | www.library.ocom.edu

      Transforming healthcare by educating highly skilled
      and compassionate practitioners, providing exemplary
      patient care, and engaging in innovative research
      within a community of service and healing.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5 12:53 PM
        look at this one
        Public Library of Science
        http://www.plos.org/
        The Public Library of Science is a nonprofit organization that publishes freely available open access journals covering all aspects of life science and medicine. PLoS publishes peer-reviewed scientific and medical journals that include original research as well as timely feature articles.

        On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Candise Branum <cbranum@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Daniele Perez-Venero
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5 2:23 PM
          Another idea! You may want to read a bibliographic essay found in "Choice":

          A History of Healing Therapies: Western, Eastern, and Alternative Approaches
          Clair G Wood
          Choice; Oct 2010; 48, 2; General Interest Module
          pg.219

          For example, it lists some online resources like MedHist: The Guide to History of Medicine Resources on the Internet, and more. Most of it are books though.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5 2:42 PM
            these titles may be useful. part of five branches university collection

            R602 ASIAN HISTORY UNSCHULD Main Entry-Personal Name :Unschuld, Paul U. (Paul Ulrich), 1943- Title Statement :Medicine in China : a history of ideas / Paul U. Unschuld. Publication Distribution Data :Berkeley : University of California Press, c1985. Physical Description :xi, 423 p. ; 24 cm. Series Statement/Added Entry-Title :Comparative studies of health systems and medical care General Note :Some copies gift of Lela Carney. General Note :Santa Barbara Collection. Bibliography, Etc. Note :Bibliography: p. 391-404. Subject-Topical Term :Medicine, Chinese Philosophy. Subject-Topical Term :Medicine, Oriental traditional History China. Subject-Topical Term :History of medicine China.

            R733 HOL. GROSSINGER Main Entry-Personal Name :Grossinger, Richard, 1944- Title Statement :Planet medicine : from Stone Age shamanism to post-industrial healing / by Richard Grossinger. Edition Statement :Rev. ed., 1st Shambhala ed. Publication Distribution Data :Boulder : Shambhala ; [New York] : Distributed by Random House, 1982. Physical Description :xviii, 436 p. ; 21 cm. General Note :Includes index. General Note :Santa Barbara collection. Bibliography, Etc. Note :Bibliography: p. [419]-424. Subject-Topical Term :Alternative medicine History. Subject-Topical Term :Healing History.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6 2:34 PM
              Try Pub Med, Search History of Medicine. There ishttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=history%20of%20medicine You can then limit it to History of Medicine, English or number of years, etc.

              Naomi

              On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Candise Branum <cbranum@...> wrote:

              I am looking into subscribing to a database that focuses more on the history of medicine – does anyone have any suggestions? The History of Science, Technology and Medicine Database looks promising, but I HATE the interface for OCLC databases…

              Candise Branum, MLIS

              College Librarian

              Oregon College of Oriental Medicine< /o:p>