Re: [ccaomlcaom] History of Medicine database

  • Daniele Perez-Venero
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
      Have you seen this?
      ·        Medicine in the Americas – NLM digitized versions of American books dating back to 1610
            http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/americas/introduction.html

      Daniele Perez-Venero, MLIS
      Health Sciences Librarian
      Acupuncture & Massage College
      10506 N. Kendall Drive
      Miami, FL 33176
      Tel.: 305-595-9500
      www.amcollege.edu

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
          look at this one
          Public Library of Science
          http://www.plos.org/
          The Public Library of Science is a nonprofit organization that publishes freely available open access journals covering all aspects of life science and medicine. PLoS publishes peer-reviewed scientific and medical journals that include original research as well as timely feature articles.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
            Another idea! You may want to read a bibliographic essay found in "Choice":

            A History of Healing Therapies: Western, Eastern, and Alternative Approaches
            Clair G Wood
            Choice; Oct 2010; 48, 2; General Interest Module
            pg.219

            For example, it lists some online resources like MedHist: The Guide to History of Medicine Resources on the Internet, and more. Most of it are books though.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
              these titles may be useful. part of five branches university collection

              R602 ASIAN HISTORY UNSCHULD Main Entry-Personal Name :Unschuld, Paul U. (Paul Ulrich), 1943- Title Statement :Medicine in China : a history of ideas / Paul U. Unschuld. Publication Distribution Data :Berkeley : University of California Press, c1985. Physical Description :xi, 423 p. ; 24 cm. Series Statement/Added Entry-Title :Comparative studies of health systems and medical care General Note :Some copies gift of Lela Carney. General Note :Santa Barbara Collection. Bibliography, Etc. Note :Bibliography: p. 391-404. Subject-Topical Term :Medicine, Chinese Philosophy. Subject-Topical Term :Medicine, Oriental traditional History China. Subject-Topical Term :History of medicine China.

              R733 HOL. GROSSINGER Main Entry-Personal Name :Grossinger, Richard, 1944- Title Statement :Planet medicine : from Stone Age shamanism to post-industrial healing / by Richard Grossinger. Edition Statement :Rev. ed., 1st Shambhala ed. Publication Distribution Data :Boulder : Shambhala ; [New York] : Distributed by Random House, 1982. Physical Description :xviii, 436 p. ; 21 cm. General Note :Includes index. General Note :Santa Barbara collection. Bibliography, Etc. Note :Bibliography: p. [419]-424. Subject-Topical Term :Alternative medicine History. Subject-Topical Term :Healing History.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011
                Try Pub Med, Search History of Medicine. There ishttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=history%20of%20medicine You can then limit it to History of Medicine, English or number of years, etc.

                Naomi

                On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Candise Branum <cbranum@...> wrote:

                I am looking into subscribing to a database that focuses more on the history of medicine – does anyone have any suggestions? The History of Science, Technology and Medicine Database looks promising, but I HATE the interface for OCLC databases…

                Candise Branum, MLIS

                College Librarian

                Oregon College of Oriental Medicine< /o:p>