History of Medicine database

  • Candise Branum
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011

      I am looking into subscribing to a database that focuses more on the history of medicine – does anyone have any suggestions? The History of Science, Technology and Medicine Database looks promising, but I HATE the interface for OCLC databases…

      Candise Branum, MLIS

      College Librarian

      Oregon College of Oriental Medicine

      10525 SE Cherry Blossom Drive

      Portland, OR 97216

      503-253-3443 ext.134 | www.library.ocom.edu

      Transforming healthcare by educating highly skilled
      and compassionate practitioners, providing exemplary
      patient care, and engaging in innovative research
      within a community of service and healing.

    • Daniele Perez-Venero
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
        Have you seen this?
        ·        Medicine in the Americas – NLM digitized versions of American books dating back to 1610
              http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/americas/introduction.html

        Daniele Perez-Venero, MLIS
        Health Sciences Librarian
        Acupuncture & Massage College
        10506 N. Kendall Drive
        Miami, FL 33176
        Tel.: 305-595-9500
        www.amcollege.edu

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
            look at this one
            Public Library of Science
            http://www.plos.org/
            The Public Library of Science is a nonprofit organization that publishes freely available open access journals covering all aspects of life science and medicine. PLoS publishes peer-reviewed scientific and medical journals that include original research as well as timely feature articles.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
              Another idea! You may want to read a bibliographic essay found in "Choice":

              A History of Healing Therapies: Western, Eastern, and Alternative Approaches
              Clair G Wood
              Choice; Oct 2010; 48, 2; General Interest Module
              pg.219

              For example, it lists some online resources like MedHist: The Guide to History of Medicine Resources on the Internet, and more. Most of it are books though.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
                these titles may be useful. part of five branches university collection

                R602 ASIAN HISTORY UNSCHULD Main Entry-Personal Name :Unschuld, Paul U. (Paul Ulrich), 1943- Title Statement :Medicine in China : a history of ideas / Paul U. Unschuld. Publication Distribution Data :Berkeley : University of California Press, c1985. Physical Description :xi, 423 p. ; 24 cm. Series Statement/Added Entry-Title :Comparative studies of health systems and medical care General Note :Some copies gift of Lela Carney. General Note :Santa Barbara Collection. Bibliography, Etc. Note :Bibliography: p. 391-404. Subject-Topical Term :Medicine, Chinese Philosophy. Subject-Topical Term :Medicine, Oriental traditional History China. Subject-Topical Term :History of medicine China.

                R733 HOL. GROSSINGER Main Entry-Personal Name :Grossinger, Richard, 1944- Title Statement :Planet medicine : from Stone Age shamanism to post-industrial healing / by Richard Grossinger. Edition Statement :Rev. ed., 1st Shambhala ed. Publication Distribution Data :Boulder : Shambhala ; [New York] : Distributed by Random House, 1982. Physical Description :xviii, 436 p. ; 21 cm. General Note :Includes index. General Note :Santa Barbara collection. Bibliography, Etc. Note :Bibliography: p. [419]-424. Subject-Topical Term :Alternative medicine History. Subject-Topical Term :Healing History.

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011
                  Try Pub Med, Search History of Medicine. There ishttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=history%20of%20medicine You can then limit it to History of Medicine, English or number of years, etc.

                  Naomi

                  On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Candise Branum <cbranum@...> wrote:

                  I am looking into subscribing to a database that focuses more on the history of medicine – does anyone have any suggestions? The History of Science, Technology and Medicine Database looks promising, but I HATE the interface for OCLC databases…

                  Candise Branum, MLIS

                  College Librarian

                  Oregon College of Oriental Medicine< /o:p>