RE: [ccaomlcaom] Library Visitors from the Public Community

  • Candise Branum
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2011

      We are open to the public, and allow local practitioners to apply for a library card ($35/year) which gives them the ability to check out print materials. But anyone is allowed to come in and use the library in person – we don’t check IDs or monitor anyone. We are going to be moving to downtown Portland, and I’ve also been thinking about this issue (and the issue of safety in general), so I’m super interested in hearing what you decide to do and what your reasons are for changing policy.

      Candise Branum, MLIS

      College Librarian

      Oregon College of Oriental Medicine

      10525 SE Cherry Blossom Drive

      Portland, OR 97216

      503-253-3443 ext.134 | www.library.ocom.edu

      Transforming healthcare by educating highly skilled
      and compassionate practitioners, providing exemplary
      patient care, and engaging in innovative research
      within a community of service and healing.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29, 2011
        Anyone can come in to use the library, though we don't generally advertise that fact.  We're also on the 3rd floor of a professional building, so we don't get casual foot traffic, but occasionally patients from our clinic or a local practitioner or medical student will come in.

        Only students, staff, faculty, and alum can check out materials, but we are considering letting local practitioners apply for a library membership (also $35/yr), which would allow them to check out print and A/V materials.

        Unless outside patrons begin to disrupt our students ability to study and use our resources, we will likely keep our open policy.

        Jennifer Hartman, MSLIS
        Director of Library Services, Kelly Library
        New England School of Acupuncture
        150 California Street
        Newton, MA 02458
        Phone: 617/969-3969  E-mail: jhartman@...

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2011

          Hello everyone; we allow currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff to circulate items without fee; members of the general public may purchase annual privileges for $25.00. Alumni have free privileges for a year after graduation and then they become members of the general public. We are a public reading room so we do have some folks coming in to utilize resources “in-house”. The biggest problem we’re having is deciding rather or not to extend privileges to out-of-town/out-of-state alumni and all the issues concerning responsibilities and payments.

            AOMA

          Transforming Lives and Communities through
           Graduate Education in Oriental Medicine.

          This message, including attachments, contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. Any use by others is strictly prohibited. Do not disseminate, distribute or copy this email without permission. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake, and delete this email from your system.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 30, 2011

            The library of American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine  allows only our students, faculty, staff and alumni to check out the library items. But anyone can come and use the library.  I think it’s a great idea to keep a credit card on file for alumni who need to check out library items.  I’m wondering if  there are any legal issues regarding keeping copy of a credit card.

            Aileen Huang

            Shuji Goto Library, ACTCM

            555 De Haro St. Suite 210

            San Francisco, CA 94107