Library Visitors from the Public Community

  • mahate rose
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2011

      Hi All,

      Our college is having discussions regarding the degree to which to allow non-student and staff members to use our library. Historically we have allowed community (public) users to have access to library resources, but not to be able to check out books or have off-campus database privileges. We do not have a consumer resource section to our library, though we hope to develop one in the future. Since our library is up in the corner of a professional building, the only users from  the public we generally see are those in medical or affiliated fields doing research or prospective students. With the question arising now of potentially changing our current policy to restrict library use to only students and staff, I'm curious about how other OM college libraries handle this issue. What are the current policies and thinking out there regarding community library use? Any responses would be much appreciated. I'm happy to compile and share responses for any interested parties.

      Thanks,

      Mahate Osborn
      AIMC Berkeley
      2550 Shattuck Ave.
      Berkeley, CA 94703

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2011
        We give privileges to alumni.  All others patients and public can use the library materials, but not check them out. They ar enot issued library cards, nor can they purchase them.
        Naomi Broering
        Pac Coll of Oriental Med.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 29, 2011

            We are open to the public, and allow local practitioners to apply for a library card ($35/year) which gives them the ability to check out print materials. But anyone is allowed to come in and use the library in person – we don’t check IDs or monitor anyone. We are going to be moving to downtown Portland, and I’ve also been thinking about this issue (and the issue of safety in general), so I’m super interested in hearing what you decide to do and what your reasons are for changing policy.

            Candise Branum, MLIS

            College Librarian

            Oregon College of Oriental Medicine

            10525 SE Cherry Blossom Drive

            Portland, OR 97216

            503-253-3443 ext.134 | www.library.ocom.edu

            Transforming healthcare by educating highly skilled
            and compassionate practitioners, providing exemplary
            patient care, and engaging in innovative research
            within a community of service and healing.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 29, 2011
              Anyone can come in to use the library, though we don't generally advertise that fact.  We're also on the 3rd floor of a professional building, so we don't get casual foot traffic, but occasionally patients from our clinic or a local practitioner or medical student will come in.

              Only students, staff, faculty, and alum can check out materials, but we are considering letting local practitioners apply for a library membership (also $35/yr), which would allow them to check out print and A/V materials.

              Unless outside patrons begin to disrupt our students ability to study and use our resources, we will likely keep our open policy.

              Jennifer Hartman, MSLIS
              Director of Library Services, Kelly Library
              New England School of Acupuncture
              150 California Street
              Newton, MA 02458
              Phone: 617/969-3969  E-mail: jhartman@...

              CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 29, 2011

                Hello everyone; we allow currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff to circulate items without fee; members of the general public may purchase annual privileges for $25.00. Alumni have free privileges for a year after graduation and then they become members of the general public. We are a public reading room so we do have some folks coming in to utilize resources “in-house”. The biggest problem we’re having is deciding rather or not to extend privileges to out-of-town/out-of-state alumni and all the issues concerning responsibilities and payments.

                  AOMA

                Transforming Lives and Communities through
                 Graduate Education in Oriental Medicine.

                This message, including attachments, contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. Any use by others is strictly prohibited. Do not disseminate, distribute or copy this email without permission. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake, and delete this email from your system.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 30, 2011

                  The library of American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine  allows only our students, faculty, staff and alumni to check out the library items. But anyone can come and use the library.  I think it’s a great idea to keep a credit card on file for alumni who need to check out library items.  I’m wondering if  there are any legal issues regarding keeping copy of a credit card.

                  Aileen Huang

                  Shuji Goto Library, ACTCM

                  555 De Haro St. Suite 210

                  San Francisco, CA 94107