Article on ICD-11

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 23 1:37 PM
      An excellent summary article on the ICD-11 is available from the current edition of "Acupuncture Today Student Edition" (September 2011, Volume 12, Number 9). It is "Information standards for TCM hit the web" by Brenda Duran. The article may be available from the online edition.

      Included in the article are the following useful ICD links:
      classification page: http://www.who.int/classifications/en
      ICD-II page: http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/revision/en/index.html (here is where there is a link to the browser).

      Reminder that the fall meeting of the library committee is on Thursday November 10th in Safety Harbor FL; meeting time is 6:30pm. I assume we will have telephone facilities.
    • mahate rose
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26 8:21 PM

        Hi All,

        Our college is having discussions regarding the degree to which to allow non-student and staff members to use our library. Historically we have allowed community (public) users to have access to library resources, but not to be able to check out books or have off-campus database privileges. We do not have a consumer resource section to our library, though we hope to develop one in the future. Since our library is up in the corner of a professional building, the only users from  the public we generally see are those in medical or affiliated fields doing research or prospective students. With the question arising now of potentially changing our current policy to restrict library use to only students and staff, I'm curious about how other OM college libraries handle this issue. What are the current policies and thinking out there regarding community library use? Any responses would be much appreciated. I'm happy to compile and share responses for any interested parties.

        Thanks,

        Mahate Osborn
        AIMC Berkeley
        2550 Shattuck Ave.
        Berkeley, CA 94703

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27 8:49 AM
          We give privileges to alumni.  All others patients and public can use the library materials, but not check them out. They ar enot issued library cards, nor can they purchase them.
          Naomi Broering
          Pac Coll of Oriental Med.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 29 10:00 AM

              We are open to the public, and allow local practitioners to apply for a library card ($35/year) which gives them the ability to check out print materials. But anyone is allowed to come in and use the library in person – we don’t check IDs or monitor anyone. We are going to be moving to downtown Portland, and I’ve also been thinking about this issue (and the issue of safety in general), so I’m super interested in hearing what you decide to do and what your reasons are for changing policy.

              Candise Branum, MLIS

              College Librarian

              Oregon College of Oriental Medicine

              10525 SE Cherry Blossom Drive

              Portland, OR 97216

              503-253-3443 ext.134 | www.library.ocom.edu

              Transforming healthcare by educating highly skilled
              and compassionate practitioners, providing exemplary
              patient care, and engaging in innovative research
              within a community of service and healing.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 29 10:13 AM
                Anyone can come in to use the library, though we don't generally advertise that fact.  We're also on the 3rd floor of a professional building, so we don't get casual foot traffic, but occasionally patients from our clinic or a local practitioner or medical student will come in.

                Only students, staff, faculty, and alum can check out materials, but we are considering letting local practitioners apply for a library membership (also $35/yr), which would allow them to check out print and A/V materials.

                Unless outside patrons begin to disrupt our students ability to study and use our resources, we will likely keep our open policy.

                Jennifer Hartman, MSLIS
                Director of Library Services, Kelly Library
                New England School of Acupuncture
                150 California Street
                Newton, MA 02458
                Phone: 617/969-3969  E-mail: jhartman@...

                CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 29 1:18 PM

                  Hello everyone; we allow currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff to circulate items without fee; members of the general public may purchase annual privileges for $25.00. Alumni have free privileges for a year after graduation and then they become members of the general public. We are a public reading room so we do have some folks coming in to utilize resources “in-house”. The biggest problem we’re having is deciding rather or not to extend privileges to out-of-town/out-of-state alumni and all the issues concerning responsibilities and payments.

                    AOMA

                  Transforming Lives and Communities through
                   Graduate Education in Oriental Medicine.

                  This message, including attachments, contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. Any use by others is strictly prohibited. Do not disseminate, distribute or copy this email without permission. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake, and delete this email from your system.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 30 2:27 PM

                    The library of American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine  allows only our students, faculty, staff and alumni to check out the library items. But anyone can come and use the library.  I think it’s a great idea to keep a credit card on file for alumni who need to check out library items.  I’m wondering if  there are any legal issues regarding keeping copy of a credit card.

                    Aileen Huang

                    Shuji Goto Library, ACTCM

                    555 De Haro St. Suite 210

                    San Francisco, CA 94107