Consortium Considerations: Request for Information from Libraries

  • maha
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2011
      LCCAOM Members,

      As part of our preparation for the upcoming meeting in Baltimore, we'd like to get a sense of what the needs are of smaller libraries (which most of us are) and how we can integrate those needs into a larger consortium framework.

      A consortium of participating libraries has the potential to enhance local access to a wide variety of print and electronic resources and services that would otherwise be beyond their individual means. This kind of sharing could allow collaboration toward development and standardization of many programs and systems that currently may be unwieldy, if offered at all, by smaller libraries with limited personnel.

      Some possibilities for sharing include:

      • Print resources sharing
      • Electronic resources sharing and licensing
      • Shared online catalogs
      • Online services such as information literacy modules
      • Enhanced interlibrary loan and document delivery systems
      • Standardized (or at least cooperative) cataloging structures
      • Eventual alliances with larger colleges and Universities with specialized collections
      • Mutual training programs

      Some issues that need to be addressed are how we will structure the consortial systems, programs, and organization, how many libraries will participate and how they will benefit,
      what the mission of the consortium will be, legal agreements, fee structures, and how long initial agreements will last. There are many options for all of the above, as to be determined by those libraries wishing to take part. Also to be determined will be most appropriate method of communication, decision making, and access to information (i.e., websites, daily e-lists, committees, etc). We also need to ascertain whether there are consortial options for small libraries that will be sustainable over time, both in human power and financial resources.

      Possibilities include informal or formal arrangements, and local or more extended networks, depending on the needs of participating libraries.

      I am writing today to recruit ideas from all individual libraries about the following four points:

      1. How you think your library can benefit from a consortial arrangement,
      2. What you think your library can offer a larger group and institutions, and
      3. How you see LCCAOM libraries participating together toward effective resource and services sharing.
      4. Please also include your thoughts on what challenges you see in becoming part of a consortium.

      I will consolidate all responses into a document for use at the meeting, so a timely response (by the end of March) would be appreciated.

      Thank you,

      Mahate Osborn, AIMC Berkeley Library Director
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2011
        Dear Maha,
        the ideas are worth discussing.  Shared catalogs is tough unless everyone switiches to one system.  We like ours CybertoolsforLibraries.

        However, we can certainly look each others catalogs if we share the URLs.
        Alliances with larger colleges would be good too, but I think its very expensive,

        Not sure I can go to Baltimore Meeting, no funds.
        Naomi Broering

        On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 5:09 AM, maha <mahateis@...> wrote:

[...]

        Ultimately I am writing today to recruit ideas from all individual libraries about the following four points:

        1. How you think your library can benefit from a consortial arrangement,
        2. What you think your library can offer a larger group and institutions, and
        3. How you see LCCAOM libraries participating together toward effective resource and services sharing.
        4. Please also include your thoughts on what challenges you see in becoming part of a consortium.

        I will consolidate all responses into a document for use at the meeting, so a timely response (by the end of March) would be appreciated.

        Thank you,

        Mahate Osborn, AIMC Berkeley Library Director

      • Jenn Hartman

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 18, 2011
            Hi Jenn,

            Thanks for sending a response to my post on ccaomlcaom. Unfortunately, I am unable to open the windat file that you attached. Is it possible to send it in a different format, either in a word document or just text in an email?

            Thank you!

            Mahate Osborn

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18, 2011
              I cannot open the file you sent.  Can you send it in another format?
              Naomi

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 18, 2011
                Hi all,

                Sorry - hit send before actually attaching my response! (not sure what that attached file was)

                - Electronic resource sharing would probably be the easiest and most helpful route for a potential consortium. Databases, info lit & training modules, and cataloging structures could all be shared online, with less cumbersome oversight necessary once the initial creation/subscription/set-up was completed.

                - The first two issues I can think of w/ trying to get a consortium subscription to electronic resources would be:
                1. Determining how costs would be shared. As long as it would bring down our current costs, we'd be fine carrying a larger fraction than some of the smaller schools.
                2. How access would be managed. Our patrons use usernames & passwords that we set up, and we're able to manage access to our resources ourselves (add/edit/delete accounts) and would want to retain that ability.

                - Catalog sharing would be inconvenient, as Naomi pointed out, at least for those of us who've already payed for &/or constructed catalogs. Not to mention that shared catalogs tend to imply shared resources, and sharing print resources may be difficult as it would have to involve mailing materials, which we, at least, are hesitant to do. I've worked in ILL in the past, and if you're talking about non-local print resource ILL, it takes time, resources, and good oversight to keep from losing items. Schools relatively close to one another should pursue the option, but LCAOM-wide item sharing seems unfeasible.

                - Our specialized collections could be helpful to larger institutions with programs that encompass integrative medicine or traditional medicine (med schools, anthro programs, etc.), but I'm not sure what kind of arrangement you're envisioning. Large institutions already have robust systems in place for resource sharing and it may be too resource/cost intensive for us to try and create partnerships w/ them. Of course, that impression may be influenced by our being located near Boston, where the large universities can be particularly reluctant to partner w/ smaller institutions.

                - Even if an actual LCAOM consortium fails to form, I think creating a formalized support system for cataloging, collection development, taking a lead in promoting info lit within our institutions, and general training is worth doing, especially to support the smaller libraries. NESA's fortunate to have support from the administration, a good sized staff, and a collection (both of resources and knowledge) that's been built up over decades, and we'd be happy to share some of our experience with smaller/newer libraries. Obviously a good deal of work would be required and we would need to confirm that enough of us were willing to put in the time and effort it would take to put together something like this, as well as keep it going. A wiki would likely be the simplest way to start.

                - Jenn

                Jennifer Hartman, MSLIS
                Director of Library Services, Kelly Library
                New England School of Acupuncture
                150 California Street
                Newton, MA 02458
                Phone: 617/969-3969 E-mail: jhartman@...
                Visit us @: http://www.nesa.edu/library/kelly_home.htm

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 30, 2011

                  Hello, Mahate and LCCAOM Members:

                  1. How you think your library can benefit from a consortial arrangement.

                  I believe we would most benefit from having access to a greater number of online resources (journal databases and e-books, for example), if cost-effective licensing agreements could be negotiated with vendors.  At present, our library is an affiliate member of SCELC (Statewide California Electronic Library Consortium, www.scelc.org ), which offers discounted subscriptions to a wide assortment of databases.  Perhaps it may be possible for LCCAOM libraries to negotiate with SCELC as a group (?)   I believe they have broadened their definition of “California libraries” to include libraries outside the state, and so perhaps it is worth investigating this possibility…

                  2. What do you think your library can offer a larger group and institutions.

                  We could consider offering ILL of journal articles and books on a reciprocal basis.  Since our library is small, however, we would need to develop guidelines in this regard in order to enable ready access to materials for our students.

                  3. How you see LCCAOM libraries participating together toward effective resource and services sharing.

                  As mentioned in question #1, negotiating discounts to databases would be the greatest benefit.

                  4. Please also include your thoughts on what challenges you see in becoming part of a consortium.

                  As you noted in your message, structuring the consortial systems and organization would have to be worked out.  My main concern as a part-time library manager is the time factor.  In other words, though I would love to offer ILL to member libraries, for example, my time is very limited for additional tasks.  But levels of involvement and membership are topics to explore further—and all in all I think being part of a consortium will have tremendous benefits.

                  Andrea Anzalone, MLIS

                  Library Manager

                  Yo San University