Top Five recommended databases?

  • andi.houston
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      I am a brand-new member of the list, library coordinator for Academy for Five Element Acupuncture in Gainesville, FL.

      We are interested in offering medical research databases to our students but not sure where to start. I have read the Overview of 45 published CAM databases paper in the files area, which was a huge help. If you had to choose only five databases to offer, which five would you choose? Which do your students get the most use out of?

      I appreciate any help you all are willing to offer.

      acupuncturist.edu
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
        Andi,
        Here are the top databases we use At Pacific College of Oriental Medicine.

        MedlinePlus- Free NLM
        PubMed- Free NLM
        AltHealthWatch- EBSCO subscription
        Medline with Full Text- EBSCO subscription
        EJS online journals,  selected titles only- EBSCO subscription

        Considering CINAHL, but many titles are duplicated in many of the above databases.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
          go to five branches university website. select current students; select libraryand research; cliick on link to online catalog,. many databases will show up under "research"; checkout: acubriefs.com; pubmed; cochrane database; at bottom of page click on plane tree library and look at their databases

          On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 9:13 AM, andi.houston <andi.houston@...> wrote:

          I am a brand-new member of the list, library coordinator for Academy for Five Element Acupuncture in Gainesville, FL.

          We are interested in offering medical research databases to our students but not sure where to start. I have read the Overview of 45 published CAM databases paper in the files area, which was a huge help. If you had to choose only five databases to offer, which five would you choose? Which do your students get the most use out of?

          I appreciate any help you all are willing to offer.

          acupuncturist.edu

        • Daniele Perez-Venero
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2011
            I also use the "Health Reference Center Academic" from Gale.
            It has a lot of good full text journals that are free to you if you access the database through a Florida Public Library or from the "Florida Electronic Library" site.

            Daniele Perez-Venero, MLIS
            Acupuncture & Massage College
            Miami, FL