Re: [ccaomlcaom] Minutesof October meeting 2009 in Idaho

  • Jim Emdy
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 18, 2009
      thank you for this wonderful information and opportunity.

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 18, 2009
        Hi Jim,
        It may take a while to get action, but I will definitely keep you informed.
        Naomi Broering

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 8, 2009
          Hello Naomi and all,

          This is excellent news regarding NLM's willingness to consider Oriental medicine headings for inclusion in MeSH!  As different health care modalities become more integrated, MeSH mimics this trend and integrates more CAM terms with standard medical headings.  They've added several over the past few years, and MeSH seems like a good resting place for Oriental medicine headings.  It already includes several unique Chinese medicine terms; it does not seem outside of its scope to add some more.

          Two questions:

          1.  Where is the file for LCAOM users?  I wasn't able to find it at the Yahoo group site.

          2.  Do you have more information about the Thesaurus of Chinese Medicine?  I'd like to take a look at it.

          Ann Kempke

          Ann Kempke
          Technical Services Librarian, Assistant Professor
          Northwestern Health Sciences University
          2501 W. 84th St.
          Bloomington, MN 55431
          952-885-5419 x5
          akempke@...

> [...]

          There was consensus that it is time for libraries to become a more active part of the overall AOM mission and it is hoped that vigorous efforts by the group and subcommittees in cooperation with other elements of the teaching institutions will yield results.

          4. It has been the case for some time that a majority of library personnel cannot make it to the semiannual meetings, due primarily to coast considerations.  Some kind of conference call meeting or skype connection should be explored.

          Action: It was decided to develop some kind of conference call meeting to get wider participation regarding the pressing issues of OM instruction in these days.  The conference would be held at a time which would not discourage individuals from attending semiannual meetings in person.

        • David Sale
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 8, 2009

            Ann:

                       To access the various CCAOM Yahoo groups, including the very active one for LCAOM, see the links and information at http://www.ccaom.org/yahoogroup.asp.

            David

            David M. Sale, J.D., LL.M.

            600 Wyndhurst Avenue

            Suite 112

            Baltimore, MD 21210

            Telephone:  410.464.6041

            Fax:  410.464.6042

            E-mail: executivedirector@...

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 8, 2009
              Ann, I also got a favorable reponse from Jim Endy.
              Yes. I belevie the NLM help will go a long way for our cataloging and instructional needs.
              Re, the thesaurus, I will get back to you as soon as I hear more from Dr Stuart Nelson.  I am currently looking at the nomenclature boo,.
              Back to all later.
              Naomi Broering

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 8, 2009
                Thanks Stuart,
                We really appreciate it.
                I will share this information with the Oreintal Medicine librarians.
                Hope your trip is great,

                P.S. My sister just returned from China and Vietnam.  She love it, and said the weather was hot.  It has turned cold on the East Coast.
                Naomi Broering

                On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Nelson, Stuart (NIH/NLM) [E] <nelsonst@...> wrote:
                Naomi,
                Greetings from Beijing!  I apologize for not sending you the ISBN of the book.
                Somehow, in these last few months, where I have been travelling frequently,
                It slipped my mind.  I will return to Bethesda on the 18th.  I can send it to you shortly after that.
                If you don't receive it before Christmas, remind me and I will send it to you.

                I will be meeting today with the Director of the Instittute of Information on Traditional
                Chinese Medicine, part of the China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences.  They are the producers of the Thesaurus of TCM and Chiense Materia Medica.
                I hope to discuss with him the means by which we can make their thesaurus more available, including it in the UMLS, and possibly adding it as an extension to MeSH.
                So the timing of your message is very appropriate.

                Best wishes
                Stuart

              • Jim Emdy
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 9, 2009
                  i am not sure which file you are looking for.  files currently available are under (i believe) "Files" on the leftside menu in the yahoo group site.