RE: [ccaomlcaom] Minutesof October meeting 2009 in Idaho

  • Rick Severson
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009

      Hi Jim,

      Regarding the library consortium idea, it makes sense to follow in the footsteps of the osteopathic and chiropractic librarians who created CAM library consortia in the 1980s.  They focused on subject headings and indexing (both library consortia created their own searchable literature index; here is the URL to the Index to Chiropractic Literature, which serves as the public face of CLIBCON, their library consortium: http://www.chiroindex.org/; an article about the history of CLIBCON and the index was published in 2008, and here is a link to the citation: http://www.chiroindex.org/?search_page=articles&action=&articleId=20410 ).

      Another area where librarians can contribute to the professional literature of their discipline is in creating a comprehensive retrospective bibliography.  Every subject discipline that has its own distinctive literature (whether it is chemistry, American history, etc.) has a mechanism for comprehensive bibliographic coverage of the field.  Typically, that involves monographic coverage of past publications and journal coverage of current publications.

      The idea of negotiating consortial prices with database vendors might be a valuable exercise for Chinese medicine librarians (I saw that many librarians expressed an interest in that), but my sense is that the need for that might have passed.  Ten years ago there were deals to be made for newly constructed buying groups, but both vendors and librarians have figured out the landscape now.  For example, we participate in regional buying groups brokered by the state of Oregon and the Orbis Cascade Alliance, among others.

      I also think that it might be worth the effort to look at grant opportunities to cover the cost of creating a viable consortium for Chinese medicine librarians and for jumpstarting the creation of the sorts of tools mentioned above.  It seems like a very fundable idea to me.  I think in person conferences and meetings will be essential in the beginning.

      A few naturopathic librarians have been discussing the issue of a consortium for the past five years or so.  Achievements to date in their field include:  (1) the creation of a rudimentary subject headings list, called NaSH (Naturopathic Subject Headings) by NCNM librarian Friedhelm Kirchfeld in the 1980s; (2) work on creating an index/bibliography for journals published by Benedict Lust, founder of naturopathy in America; (3) librarian contribution of a chapter in the Foundations of Naturopathic Medicine textbook project (the chapter outlines the sorts of things librarians could do to enhance the literature such as those mentioned above); (4) efforts by an NCNM librarian to create a working group to develop NaSH further.

      But the chiropractors and osteopaths have had the most success in creating CAM library consortia, and it makes sense to follow in their footsteps.

      All the best,

      Rick Severson, Library Director

      National College of Natural Medicine

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
        Dear Jim and LCAOM members,
        Some good news.  I am writing in regard to the continual discussion and furstration about Indexing terms and cataloging of Oriental Medicine topics listed below from the Idaho meeting minutes..

        1. Discussion of subject headings relevant to OM which are not systematically or consistently covered in standard cataloging sources. Examples: five elements; Medicine, Chinese-Tibet OR Medicine, Tibetan.

        Action: reminder of a file for LCAOM users in the group under "headings"

        Action: further survey of cataloging librarians to explore establishing recommended subject headings for unique OM topics.

        This weekend I had an opportunity to speak to the Director of the National Library of Medicine and to the head of the Medical Subject Headings at the NLM, about our concerns that the Cataloging subject headings do not meet the needs of Oriental Medicine topics.

        They are willing and interested in looking at our needs.  Dr. Stuart Nelson (MeSH) suggested we consider the Thesaurus of Chinese Medicine.  Dr Lindberg, Dir NLM, said if we organize and forward our needs they would be willing to look at incorporating these terms in the MeSH vocabulary.  This is a wonderful opportunity for us to make some progress with the National Library of Medicine.  I know that many of us use LC for cataloging, but we also add the MeSH terms in the bibliographic record.

        Dr. Nelson is going to send me the ISBN for the Thesaurus, so I can take a look at it.  I also ordered a copy of the International Nomenclature book.
         Of course,if anything is doen, it would not happen overnite, it would be incrementally handled.

        Another knowledgeable person I spoke to is Dr Kent Spackman,Director of Terminology for the International Health Terminology Standards Development Organization database.  When he was in China last year he became familiar with the issue we face.

        Everyone agreed that it is best to incorporate the terms into an existing national system rather than consider building our own. A national system such as the NLM MeSH would be maintained, and we, as a small group of librarians, do not have the resources or staff to do this. With NLM involved we would also have a chance to get cooperation or collaboration from the Library of Congress too.

        Let me know if I should continue to pursue this on behalf ot the LCAOM librarians.

        On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 8:47 PM, jimemdy <jimemdy@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Jim Emdy
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 18, 2009
          thank you for this wonderful information and opportunity.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 18, 2009
            Hi Jim,
            It may take a while to get action, but I will definitely keep you informed.
            Naomi Broering

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 8, 2009
              Hello Naomi and all,

              This is excellent news regarding NLM's willingness to consider Oriental medicine headings for inclusion in MeSH!  As different health care modalities become more integrated, MeSH mimics this trend and integrates more CAM terms with standard medical headings.  They've added several over the past few years, and MeSH seems like a good resting place for Oriental medicine headings.  It already includes several unique Chinese medicine terms; it does not seem outside of its scope to add some more.

              Two questions:

              1.  Where is the file for LCAOM users?  I wasn't able to find it at the Yahoo group site.

              2.  Do you have more information about the Thesaurus of Chinese Medicine?  I'd like to take a look at it.

              Ann Kempke

              Ann Kempke
              Technical Services Librarian, Assistant Professor
              Northwestern Health Sciences University
              2501 W. 84th St.
              Bloomington, MN 55431
              952-885-5419 x5
              akempke@...

> [...]

              There was consensus that it is time for libraries to become a more active part of the overall AOM mission and it is hoped that vigorous efforts by the group and subcommittees in cooperation with other elements of the teaching institutions will yield results.

              4. It has been the case for some time that a majority of library personnel cannot make it to the semiannual meetings, due primarily to coast considerations.  Some kind of conference call meeting or skype connection should be explored.

              Action: It was decided to develop some kind of conference call meeting to get wider participation regarding the pressing issues of OM instruction in these days.  The conference would be held at a time which would not discourage individuals from attending semiannual meetings in person.

            • David Sale
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 8, 2009

                Ann:

                           To access the various CCAOM Yahoo groups, including the very active one for LCAOM, see the links and information at http://www.ccaom.org/yahoogroup.asp.

                David

                David M. Sale, J.D., LL.M.

                600 Wyndhurst Avenue

                Suite 112

                Baltimore, MD 21210

                Telephone:  410.464.6041

                Fax:  410.464.6042

                E-mail: executivedirector@...

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 8, 2009
                  Ann, I also got a favorable reponse from Jim Endy.
                  Yes. I belevie the NLM help will go a long way for our cataloging and instructional needs.
                  Re, the thesaurus, I will get back to you as soon as I hear more from Dr Stuart Nelson.  I am currently looking at the nomenclature boo,.
                  Back to all later.
                  Naomi Broering

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 8, 2009
                    Thanks Stuart,
                    We really appreciate it.
                    I will share this information with the Oreintal Medicine librarians.
                    Hope your trip is great,

                    P.S. My sister just returned from China and Vietnam.  She love it, and said the weather was hot.  It has turned cold on the East Coast.
                    Naomi Broering

                    On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Nelson, Stuart (NIH/NLM) [E] <nelsonst@...> wrote:
                    Naomi,
                    Greetings from Beijing!  I apologize for not sending you the ISBN of the book.
                    Somehow, in these last few months, where I have been travelling frequently,
                    It slipped my mind.  I will return to Bethesda on the 18th.  I can send it to you shortly after that.
                    If you don't receive it before Christmas, remind me and I will send it to you.

                    I will be meeting today with the Director of the Instittute of Information on Traditional
                    Chinese Medicine, part of the China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences.  They are the producers of the Thesaurus of TCM and Chiense Materia Medica.
                    I hope to discuss with him the means by which we can make their thesaurus more available, including it in the UMLS, and possibly adding it as an extension to MeSH.
                    So the timing of your message is very appropriate.

                    Best wishes
                    Stuart

                  • Jim Emdy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 9, 2009
                      i am not sure which file you are looking for.  files currently available are under (i believe) "Files" on the leftside menu in the yahoo group site.