Thesaurus for cataloging TCM materials

  • Ann Kempke
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2009
      Hello all,

      When cataloging materials for your libraries, do you use a thesaurus that is TCM-specific?  For example, I am doing original cataloging of a book about collateral disease theory, and I find that both LC and MeSH headings fall woefully short of truly expressing the content of this book to our users.  Other examples of when a TCM thesaurus would come in handy is when cataloging materials about five element acupuncture (or other styles/theories of practice) or certain needling techniques.

      Or, alternately, is there a TCM-specific thesaurus that is used for indexing?  When cataloging chiropractic materials for my library or indexing for the Index to Chiropractic Literature, I use the Chiropractic Subject Headings, which is an LC-approved thesaurus for these purposes.  I checked http://www.loc.gov/marc/relators/relasour.html#rela655b to see if there is a similar resource for Chinese medicine, but didn't find one listed on this page.

      And if there isn't a thesaurus for TCM materials, what do you do when adding subject headings for the more unique items?  Our catalog is getting pretty full of the bland LC and MeSH offerings, such as "Medicine, Chinese," "Acupuncture," etc.

      Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

      Ann Kempke
      Technical Services Librarian, Assistant Professor
      Northwestern Health Sciences University
      2501 W. 84th St.
      Bloomington, MN 55431
      952-885-5419 x221
      akempke@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2009
        Ann,
        I agree that the LC and MESH headings are often not useful for TCM.
        Sometimes, I go to OCLC to see if the item has been previously cataloged. Or, I go to a Chinese University to see if I can copy catalog.  University of Hong Kong ot Taiwan are possible sites.

        Regarding Original cataloging, If I believe the subject is important  I will enter it myself and then it is search able under subject or keyword.
        Another possibility is to put in MARC data Tag 505 contents.  Then it is search able by Keyword.

        Regarding a Thesaurus, There are some books that we could consider using as an index, something like the Materia Medica for herbs.
        Maybe we should explore developing a thesaurus.

        San Diego, CA
        On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Ann Kempke <akempke@...> wrote:

[...]

      • jimemdy
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 15, 2009
          i use LC, MeSH, Pubmed etc as well as OCLC; i have also improvised several headings, including Five Elements, etc. i think this should be a topic at the october meeting in idaho and we might work toward developing a common subject authority listing for topic areas inadequately covered elsewhere.

          jim emdy
          fivebranchesuniversity

          --- In ccaomlcaom@yahoogroups.com, Naomi Broering <NBROERING@...>