Re: [ccaomlcaom] Minutes of meeting in Sacramento, April 23rd.

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2009

      Thanks Jim, One comment.
      There is a Natioanl Network for interlibrary loans already called DOCLine.  I do not understand why we need to set up our own.
      Naomi

      On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:08 PM, jimemdy <jimemdy@...> wrote:
      Here are the minutes of the Library Committee of April 23rd, Sacramento meeting.

      In attendance: Jim Emdy(Five Branches University) Chair; Lana Thelen, OCOM; Scott Ahn, SCUSOMA; Shen Ping Liang, ACAOM.

      1. Role of libraries in educating researchers in finding current awareness resources: Several online tutorials from an email from Mark Seem will be added to the OPAC catalog page of Five Branches University.  Research literacy is a foundation of competencies of an AOM graduate, and traditionally librarians have a leading role in this effort.

      2. A brief discussion on collection development was held. Materials from previous meetings was made available for assistance in this matter.

      3. We discussed briefly the possibility and usefulness of cooperation between AOM schools in the United States and China.

      4.  Use of webcam/interactive video-audio connectivity for widening participation for those who cannot attend the committee meetings in person was discussed.  Several attendees will do more research in this matter.

      5.  In regard to formation a consortium of AOM libraries, the results of a recent survey of library shared resources and interest in forming a consortium indicate a good number of institutions which are willing to share resources via interlibrary loan.  It was decided that as a first step toward formal chartering of am AOM library consortium, the Yahoo usergroup listserv would be a vehicle to place and fill ILL requests, with Five Branches University library maintaining an online accessible database for tracking transactions.  Some institutions will begin the process by offering some material for ILL transactions.  Sample contracts and protocols in relation to ILL transactions will be submitted later.  The survey results will be sent as an attachment in a later email.  If your library has not responded to the survey, please do so.

      Jim Emdy
      Chair
      Five Branches University

      4/27/09