meeting in Chicago October 15th.

  • emd89bz
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
      This is a reminder that the Library Committee will meet on Wednesday,
      October 15th in Chicago at 1:30 p.m. Room at the hotel to be
      announced. Please submit items for the agenda through this group.
      Here are a couple suggestions:
      1. implications of the new ACAOM library evaluation format.

      2. Possibility of forming local consortia to jointly purchase more
      expenseive databases.

      3. Procedures for providing materials to faculty--purchase or loan
      from the collection?

      Jim Emdy
      Chair
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
        Hi Jim,
        I am uncertain if I can attend the October 15th ccaom meeting, however, please keep me posted.

        Re: Agenda discussion on Consortia:
        I suggested a consortia for databases, especially full text years ago, but the group never followed up on it. they were not energized to work on it.  It's an old idea but worth trying.  We have pursued our own  arrangements with vendors in the meantime.

        BTW:
        EBSCO AltHealthWatch is the best for All full text and inexpensive.  there are numerous peer reviewed titles in this database.

        CINAHL is too expensive. $6,655 for 4 simultaneous users, I did an intensive research study and found there are not much in OM journal titles and very few titles are full text. You need to check what is full text.  not much that's worth it.

        AMED, British Medical Library database is good for citations only, no full text. Reasonable price

        Medline Full Text, My study shows its good, not much in OM titles, but it is ALL Full Text. This looks like the best winner for us to add now.

        None of the databases have JAMA, Academic Medicine, and only one has NEJM but delay in full text. Of course if you want to pay for higher priced databases you can get these titles

        Natural Standard, we rejected it because MEDLINEPLUS has most of the database in the Drugs Supplement a& Herbs Section. If you can get a deal on this one, we would consider it.
        They wanted around $1,850.

        Don't forget that the NLM is now indexing all articles that have been sponsored through a federal government grant into the Free Pub Med Central Database, and also Bio Med Central has free full text articles.

        Hope these findings help. Keep me posted.

        On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:38 AM, emd89bz <emd89bz@...> wrote:
        This is a reminder that the Library Committee will meet on Wednesday,
        October 15th in Chicago at 1:30 p.m.  Room at the hotel to be
        announced.  Please submit items for the agenda through this group.
        Here are a couple suggestions:
        1. implications of the new ACAOM library evaluation format.

        2. Possibility of forming local consortia to jointly purchase more
        expenseive databases.

        3. Procedures for providing materials to faculty--purchase or loan
        from the collection?

        Jim Emdy
        Chair

      • Kanaley, Dan
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
          Message
          Hi Jim and everyone,
          1. Is the ACAOM library evaluation format a document that is accessible somewhere?  Can a copy be sent to the list?

          2. It would be great if somehow virtual meetings could be arranged.  A simple conference telephone call comes to mind initially.  We can call multiple numbers and put everyone on hold and then have a multi-party conversation.  This would get more libraries involved and lessen travel costs.  (Not that I don't like Chicago!)
          Just my 2 cents...Dan
          Daniel Kanaley
          Library Director
          Seneca Falls, NY 13148
          315-568-3246; fax 315-568-3119

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
            thanks for the information; generally althealthwatch is available from public library sources and accessible with a library card and pin number.

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
              I will unfortunately be unable to attend the Chicago meeting. I am very interested in
              the topics you mentioned will be discussed however, especially the ACAOM evaluation
              format and forming local consortia for joint journal subscriptions. If I can be sent the minutes
              from the meeting I would much appreciate it.
              Mahate Osborn
              AIMC Berkeley