Re: [ccaomlcaom] Re: april meeting in san francisco

  • Dr. Amy Kahn
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi all,

      I have a very brief question to ask in advance of the meeting as our librarian is need of the information ASAP.  At the meeting in Portland, the group discussed at length a computer program that many of the schools were using.  The cost and usefulness of the program seemed worthy of recording.  I however cannot find my notes from the meeting.  I would very much appreciate anybody's input on this.

      Regards,
      Amy
      _________________________________
      PIHMA College & Clinic
      Amy E. Kahn, PhD, MBA
      Director of Academic Affairs
      602-274-1885 x3104
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
        two software packages are generally discussed:
        cybertools is a fullservice library management package which can be quite expensive

        some libraries (at least 3)_ are using Libraryworld from california; easy access relatively inexpensive (365 dollars a year)  with all library management modules; report capacity is limited at low end subscription

        ____________ _________ _________ ___

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
          THANK YOU !!!  Yes it was libraryworld that was discussed !!

          I very much appreciate the help.

          Amy

          "Dr. Amy Kahn" <akahn@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Rebecca Stansbury
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
            Sorry for the confusion. I posted my comment, then realized that my school info. didn't attach to it automatically. I still don't 'get' how this yahoo group site operates!!  Anyway, for those of you who don't know me, my yahoo ID is thorns2go and my school affiliation if below.

            Anyone think a wiki might be an easier to function as a group? Just a thought.

            Rebecca Stansbury
            Librarian / Administrative Assistant

            American Institute of Alternative Medicine
            Columbus, OH  43229
            Phone: 614-825-6255  ext. 231
            Fax:  614-825-6279

          • Aileen Huang
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
              Hi, Jim,

              I'm sorry that we can't attend meeting in April. For our Doctoral Program the major issue for the library is to access Full text of journal articles off-campus.

              Here is the information you requested:

              Number of titles: 3,858
              Number of total physical volumes: 5,358
              Software used to catalog and manage the collection: CyberTools for Libraries
              number of staff: two
              Professional librarian: one on site
              number of students: about 300

              Wish you a successful meeting!

              Aileen Huang, MS, L.Ac

              Director of the Learning Center
              American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
              555 De Haro St, Suite 210
              San Francisco, CA 94107
              Tel: 415-355-1601 ext. 19
              Fax: 415-355-0691

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
                Francisco in april:
                CCAOM Meeting Information
                The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
                April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco

                DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
                Wednesday
                April 30, in room Spring A
                1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

                Here is a suggested agenda:
                1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
                online?
                3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.

                If you haven't yet done so, please let me know
                some basic information about the library:
                Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals
                Number of total physical volumes
                Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                number of staff
                Professional librarian: on site?
                number of students served

                If you have additional agenda items or suggests for altering the
                agenda, please let me know.

                Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                  Jim, Thanks
                  As I wrote previously, I will attend the meeting in SF.
                  We have three campus libraries, so our details would be different than stand alone libraries.

                  I am curious, why do you need this information?

                  1  The library resources are well suited for the doctoral program.  We added many materials in the past two years.
                  2  Each library has a librarian. Two are degreed medical librarians, one an graduate student
                  3.  We have a website with over 200 internet based resources. www.pacificcollege.eduhttp://pacificcollege.edu/library/index.html
                  4. We have an Internet based system.  Cybertoolsforlibraries, an integrated system that has multiple catalog capabilities for union access.
                  5.Total Resources of the three libraries are generally between 25,000 to 30,000, titles of books, journals, media, software, research materials, etc.
                  Library space and computer labs are sufficient, about 2500 sq ft. in SD, NY. I do not have sq ft of Chicago.

                  I will bring some information about Cybertools and will be happy to address any union catalog questions the group may have.

                  Naomi

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
                      Thought I'd give some of the informatin for PIHMA...

                      Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals:  3500
                      Number of total physical volumes:  2900
                      Software used to catalog and manage the collection: Surpass
                      number of staff: 2
                      Professional librarian: Yes on site? Part-time
                      number of students served:  125

[...]

                      602-274-1885 x104
                    • Linda Moore
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                        Jim,

                        I won’t be able to make the San Francisco meeting.   Will there be minutes of the meeting available?

                        Thanks for your help!

                        Linda

                        Emperor’s College of T.O.M. Librarian

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                          Jim,

                          Forgot to mention, Emperor’s College has about 600 Serials (includes electronic and printed), 3,000 physical volumes of Books and 300 Audio-Visuals.   280 students are served, both Master’s and Doctoral Programs, and 1 part-time professional Librarian (20 hours per week) on site, 4 Student Assistants, 1 Bookstore/Library Manager.   Currently, LibraryThing is used as Library cataloging software, but we plan to move to LibraryWorld sometime this summer.

                          Linda