Re: [ccaomlcaom] Re: april meeting in san francisco

    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1 12:29 PM
      Hi Rebecca, Where are you located?
      Naomi Broering, MLS, MA, FACMI
      Dean of Libraries,
      Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
      San Diego, CA

      On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:13 AM, thorns2go <rhawthorne@...> wrote:
      Hello to all,
      I will not be able to attend the meeting. Any chance that a webinar
      (for example) could be set up? There are several who will not be
      able to attend but are still interested.

      Thanks to Jim for the many postings. I have found them to be very
      helpful.

      As for the request info. - here goes.
      1. We do not have a research program or doctoral program here. We
      have a masters level acupuncture and massage therapy (both Chinese
      and Western) program.

      2. Online journal and resource materials: I found that Association
      of Academic and Research Libraries (ACRL) has an extensive
      collection of suggested internet resources posted for Complementary
      and alternative medicine. I am wanting to set up a library website,
      within the the school's website, that can include these suggested
      links as additional resources.

      3. I for one am benefiting from this group collaboration.

      4. I prefer the idea of moving on into online catalog versus the
      unionization method. I am still trying to get approval to post the
      catalog online.

      5. Collection: Covers all programs offered here.
      Approx. 1,000 titles plus journals and a small AV collection.

      6. Catolog software, currently, is ResourceMate 2.0 (I do not
      recommend!!)

      7. Staff: I am solo librarian (currently a MLIS student). I also
      double as the school's admin. assistant.

      8. Student enrollment is 200.

      Hope that helps!

      --- In ccaomlcaom@yahoogroups.com, "emd89bz" <emd89bz@...> wrote:

      > Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
      > Francisco in april:
      > CCAOM Meeting Information
      > The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
      > April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco
      > (Additional information will be posted to the schedule as it
      becomes
      > available)
      >
      > DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
      > Wednesday
      > April 30
      > 1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee
      >
      > Here is a suggested agenda:
      > 1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
      > 2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be
      done
      > online?
      > 3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
      > 4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
      > software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
      > 5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
      > To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
      > some basic information about the library:
      > Number of titles
      > Number of total physical volumes
      > Software used to catalog and manage the collection
      > number of staff
      > Professional librarian: on site?
      > number of students served
      >
      > Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.
      >
      > Jim Emdy

    • Dr. Amy Kahn
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1 3:43 PM
        Hi all,

        I have a very brief question to ask in advance of the meeting as our librarian is need of the information ASAP.  At the meeting in Portland, the group discussed at length a computer program that many of the schools were using.  The cost and usefulness of the program seemed worthy of recording.  I however cannot find my notes from the meeting.  I would very much appreciate anybody's input on this.

        Regards,
        Amy
        _________________________________
        PIHMA College & Clinic
        Amy E. Kahn, PhD, MBA
        Director of Academic Affairs
        602-274-1885 x3104
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1 5:21 PM
          two software packages are generally discussed:
          cybertools is a fullservice library management package which can be quite expensive

          some libraries (at least 3)_ are using Libraryworld from california; easy access relatively inexpensive (365 dollars a year)  with all library management modules; report capacity is limited at low end subscription

          ____________ _________ _________ ___

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1 7:41 PM
            THANK YOU !!!  Yes it was libraryworld that was discussed !!

            I very much appreciate the help.

            Amy

            "Dr. Amy Kahn" <akahn@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Rebecca Stansbury
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 2 8:11 AM
              Sorry for the confusion. I posted my comment, then realized that my school info. didn't attach to it automatically. I still don't 'get' how this yahoo group site operates!!  Anyway, for those of you who don't know me, my yahoo ID is thorns2go and my school affiliation if below.

              Anyone think a wiki might be an easier to function as a group? Just a thought.

              Rebecca Stansbury
              Librarian / Administrative Assistant

              American Institute of Alternative Medicine
              Columbus, OH  43229
              Phone: 614-825-6255  ext. 231
              Fax:  614-825-6279

            • Aileen Huang
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 2 6:17 PM
                Hi, Jim,

                I'm sorry that we can't attend meeting in April. For our Doctoral Program the major issue for the library is to access Full text of journal articles off-campus.

                Here is the information you requested:

                Number of titles: 3,858
                Number of total physical volumes: 5,358
                Software used to catalog and manage the collection: CyberTools for Libraries
                number of staff: two
                Professional librarian: one on site
                number of students: about 300

                Wish you a successful meeting!

                Aileen Huang, MS, L.Ac

                Director of the Learning Center
                American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                555 De Haro St, Suite 210
                San Francisco, CA 94107
                Tel: 415-355-1601 ext. 19
                Fax: 415-355-0691

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 23 2:14 PM
                  Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
                  Francisco in april:
                  CCAOM Meeting Information
                  The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
                  April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco

                  DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
                  Wednesday
                  April 30, in room Spring A
                  1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

                  Here is a suggested agenda:
                  1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                  2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
                  online?
                  3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                  4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                  software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                  5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.

                  If you haven't yet done so, please let me know
                  some basic information about the library:
                  Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals
                  Number of total physical volumes
                  Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                  number of staff
                  Professional librarian: on site?
                  number of students served

                  If you have additional agenda items or suggests for altering the
                  agenda, please let me know.

                  Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 23 2:56 PM
                    Jim, Thanks
                    As I wrote previously, I will attend the meeting in SF.
                    We have three campus libraries, so our details would be different than stand alone libraries.

                    I am curious, why do you need this information?

                    1  The library resources are well suited for the doctoral program.  We added many materials in the past two years.
                    2  Each library has a librarian. Two are degreed medical librarians, one an graduate student
                    3.  We have a website with over 200 internet based resources. www.pacificcollege.eduhttp://pacificcollege.edu/library/index.html
                    4. We have an Internet based system.  Cybertoolsforlibraries, an integrated system that has multiple catalog capabilities for union access.
                    5.Total Resources of the three libraries are generally between 25,000 to 30,000, titles of books, journals, media, software, research materials, etc.
                    Library space and computer labs are sufficient, about 2500 sq ft. in SD, NY. I do not have sq ft of Chicago.

                    I will bring some information about Cybertools and will be happy to address any union catalog questions the group may have.

                    Naomi

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 24 5:18 PM
                        Thought I'd give some of the informatin for PIHMA...

                        Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals:  3500
                        Number of total physical volumes:  2900
                        Software used to catalog and manage the collection: Surpass
                        number of staff: 2
                        Professional librarian: Yes on site? Part-time
                        number of students served:  125

[...]

                        602-274-1885 x104
                      • Linda Moore
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 25 2:31 PM

                          I won’t be able to make the San Francisco meeting.   Will there be minutes of the meeting available?

                          Thanks for your help!

                          Linda

                          Emperor’s College of T.O.M. Librarian

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 25 2:51 PM

                            Forgot to mention, Emperor’s College has about 600 Serials (includes electronic and printed), 3,000 physical volumes of Books and 300 Audio-Visuals.   280 students are served, both Master’s and Doctoral Programs, and 1 part-time professional Librarian (20 hours per week) on site, 4 Student Assistants, 1 Bookstore/Library Manager.   Currently, LibraryThing is used as Library cataloging software, but we plan to move to LibraryWorld sometime this summer.

                            Linda