Re: april meeting in san francisco

  • thorns2go
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hello to all,
      I will not be able to attend the meeting. Any chance that a webinar
      (for example) could be set up? There are several who will not be
      able to attend but are still interested.

      Thanks to Jim for the many postings. I have found them to be very
      helpful.

      As for the request info. - here goes.
      1. We do not have a research program or doctoral program here. We
      have a masters level acupuncture and massage therapy (both Chinese
      and Western) program.

      2. Online journal and resource materials: I found that Association
      of Academic and Research Libraries (ACRL) has an extensive
      collection of suggested internet resources posted for Complementary
      and alternative medicine. I am wanting to set up a library website,
      within the the school's website, that can include these suggested
      links as additional resources.

      3. I for one am benefiting from this group collaboration.

      4. I prefer the idea of moving on into online catalog versus the
      unionization method. I am still trying to get approval to post the
      catalog online.

      5. Collection: Covers all programs offered here.
      Approx. 1,000 titles plus journals and a small AV collection.

      6. Catolog software, currently, is ResourceMate 2.0 (I do not
      recommend!!)

      7. Staff: I am solo librarian (currently a MLIS student). I also
      double as the school's admin. assistant.

      8. Student enrollment is 200.

      Hope that helps!

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
        thank you for your response.  I don't think we can set up such a webcast. i understand that it may not even be possible to set up some kind of conference call arrangement for some other committee due to expense.

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
          Hi Rebecca, Where are you located?
          Naomi Broering, MLS, MA, FACMI
          Dean of Libraries,
          Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
          San Diego, CA

          On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:13 AM, thorns2go <rhawthorne@...> wrote:
> [...]

          > Here is a suggested agenda:
          > 1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
          > 2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be
          done
          > online?
          > 3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
          > 4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
          > software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
          > 5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
          > To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
          > some basic information about the library:
          > Number of titles
          > Number of total physical volumes
          > Software used to catalog and manage the collection
          > number of staff
          > Professional librarian: on site?
          > number of students served
          >
          > Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

        • Dr. Amy Kahn
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
            Hi all,

            I have a very brief question to ask in advance of the meeting as our librarian is need of the information ASAP.  At the meeting in Portland, the group discussed at length a computer program that many of the schools were using.  The cost and usefulness of the program seemed worthy of recording.  I however cannot find my notes from the meeting.  I would very much appreciate anybody's input on this.

            Regards,
            Amy
            _________________________________
            PIHMA College & Clinic
            Amy E. Kahn, PhD, MBA
            Director of Academic Affairs
            602-274-1885 x3104
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
              two software packages are generally discussed:
              cybertools is a fullservice library management package which can be quite expensive

              some libraries (at least 3)_ are using Libraryworld from california; easy access relatively inexpensive (365 dollars a year)  with all library management modules; report capacity is limited at low end subscription

              ____________ _________ _________ ___

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                THANK YOU !!!  Yes it was libraryworld that was discussed !!

                I very much appreciate the help.

                Amy

                "Dr. Amy Kahn" <akahn@...> wrote:
[...]

              • Rebecca Stansbury
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Sorry for the confusion. I posted my comment, then realized that my school info. didn't attach to it automatically. I still don't 'get' how this yahoo group site operates!!  Anyway, for those of you who don't know me, my yahoo ID is thorns2go and my school affiliation if below.

                  Anyone think a wiki might be an easier to function as a group? Just a thought.

                  Rebecca Stansbury
                  Librarian / Administrative Assistant

                  American Institute of Alternative Medicine
                  Columbus, OH  43229
                  Phone: 614-825-6255  ext. 231
                  Fax:  614-825-6279

                • Aileen Huang
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
                    Hi, Jim,

                    I'm sorry that we can't attend meeting in April. For our Doctoral Program the major issue for the library is to access Full text of journal articles off-campus.

                    Here is the information you requested:

                    Number of titles: 3,858
                    Number of total physical volumes: 5,358
                    Software used to catalog and manage the collection: CyberTools for Libraries
                    number of staff: two
                    Professional librarian: one on site
                    number of students: about 300

                    Wish you a successful meeting!

                    Aileen Huang, MS, L.Ac

                    Director of the Learning Center
                    American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                    555 De Haro St, Suite 210
                    San Francisco, CA 94107
                    Tel: 415-355-1601 ext. 19
                    Fax: 415-355-0691

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                      Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
                      Francisco in april:
                      CCAOM Meeting Information
                      The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
                      April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco

                      DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
                      Wednesday
                      April 30, in room Spring A
                      1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

                      Here is a suggested agenda:
                      1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                      2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
                      online?
                      3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                      4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                      software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                      5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.

                      If you haven't yet done so, please let me know
                      some basic information about the library:
                      Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals
                      Number of total physical volumes
                      Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                      number of staff
                      Professional librarian: on site?
                      number of students served

                      If you have additional agenda items or suggests for altering the
                      agenda, please let me know.

                      Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                        Jim, Thanks
                        As I wrote previously, I will attend the meeting in SF.
                        We have three campus libraries, so our details would be different than stand alone libraries.

                        I am curious, why do you need this information?

                        1  The library resources are well suited for the doctoral program.  We added many materials in the past two years.
                        2  Each library has a librarian. Two are degreed medical librarians, one an graduate student
                        3.  We have a website with over 200 internet based resources. www.pacificcollege.eduhttp://pacificcollege.edu/library/index.html
                        4. We have an Internet based system.  Cybertoolsforlibraries, an integrated system that has multiple catalog capabilities for union access.
                        5.Total Resources of the three libraries are generally between 25,000 to 30,000, titles of books, journals, media, software, research materials, etc.
                        Library space and computer labs are sufficient, about 2500 sq ft. in SD, NY. I do not have sq ft of Chicago.

                        I will bring some information about Cybertools and will be happy to address any union catalog questions the group may have.

                        Naomi

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
                            Thought I'd give some of the informatin for PIHMA...

                            Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals:  3500
                            Number of total physical volumes:  2900
                            Software used to catalog and manage the collection: Surpass
                            number of staff: 2
                            Professional librarian: Yes on site? Part-time
                            number of students served:  125

[...]

                            602-274-1885 x104
                          • Linda Moore
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                              I won’t be able to make the San Francisco meeting.   Will there be minutes of the meeting available?

                              Thanks for your help!

                              Linda

                              Emperor’s College of T.O.M. Librarian

                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                                Forgot to mention, Emperor’s College has about 600 Serials (includes electronic and printed), 3,000 physical volumes of Books and 300 Audio-Visuals.   280 students are served, both Master’s and Doctoral Programs, and 1 part-time professional Librarian (20 hours per week) on site, 4 Student Assistants, 1 Bookstore/Library Manager.   Currently, LibraryThing is used as Library cataloging software, but we plan to move to LibraryWorld sometime this summer.

                                Linda