RE: [ccaomlcaom] april meeting in san francisco

    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 31 12:58 PM

      Hello everyone-here is the information requested: number of total physical items: 4,916; number staff: 1 FT, 3 PT; professional staff on site; yes; number of students served: 225; software used to manage collection: FileMakerPro-I do the cataloging. We don’t have a listing of titles yet. I won’t be able to attend the meeting in San Francisco but I appreciate the email connection-thanks!

      David York, MLIS, Librarian

      The Academy of Oriental Medicine at Austin

      2700 West Anderson Lane, Suite 204

      Austin , Texas   78757

      Direct Line - (512) 492-3032

      Ma in number - (512) 454-1188 ext. 232

      Fax - (512) 454-7001

      dyork@...

      www.aoma.edu

      Transforming Lives and Communities Through Graduate Education in Oriental Medicine

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hello to all,
        I will not be able to attend the meeting. Any chance that a webinar
        (for example) could be set up? There are several who will not be
        able to attend but are still interested.

        Thanks to Jim for the many postings. I have found them to be very
        helpful.

        As for the request info. - here goes.
        1. We do not have a research program or doctoral program here. We
        have a masters level acupuncture and massage therapy (both Chinese
        and Western) program.

        2. Online journal and resource materials: I found that Association
        of Academic and Research Libraries (ACRL) has an extensive
        collection of suggested internet resources posted for Complementary
        and alternative medicine. I am wanting to set up a library website,
        within the the school's website, that can include these suggested
        links as additional resources.

        3. I for one am benefiting from this group collaboration.

        4. I prefer the idea of moving on into online catalog versus the
        unionization method. I am still trying to get approval to post the
        catalog online.

        5. Collection: Covers all programs offered here.
        Approx. 1,000 titles plus journals and a small AV collection.

        6. Catolog software, currently, is ResourceMate 2.0 (I do not
        recommend!!)

        7. Staff: I am solo librarian (currently a MLIS student). I also
        double as the school's admin. assistant.

        8. Student enrollment is 200.

        Hope that helps!

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
          thank you for your response.  I don't think we can set up such a webcast. i understand that it may not even be possible to set up some kind of conference call arrangement for some other committee due to expense.

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
            Hi Rebecca, Where are you located?
            Naomi Broering, MLS, MA, FACMI
            Dean of Libraries,
            Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
            San Diego, CA

            On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:13 AM, thorns2go <rhawthorne@...> wrote:
> [...]

            > Here is a suggested agenda:
            > 1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
            > 2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be
            done
            > online?
            > 3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
            > 4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
            > software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
            > 5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
            > To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
            > some basic information about the library:
            > Number of titles
            > Number of total physical volumes
            > Software used to catalog and manage the collection
            > number of staff
            > Professional librarian: on site?
            > number of students served
            >
            > Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

          • Dr. Amy Kahn
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
              Hi all,

              I have a very brief question to ask in advance of the meeting as our librarian is need of the information ASAP.  At the meeting in Portland, the group discussed at length a computer program that many of the schools were using.  The cost and usefulness of the program seemed worthy of recording.  I however cannot find my notes from the meeting.  I would very much appreciate anybody's input on this.

              Regards,
              Amy
              _________________________________
              PIHMA College & Clinic
              Amy E. Kahn, PhD, MBA
              Director of Academic Affairs
              602-274-1885 x3104
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                two software packages are generally discussed:
                cybertools is a fullservice library management package which can be quite expensive

                some libraries (at least 3)_ are using Libraryworld from california; easy access relatively inexpensive (365 dollars a year)  with all library management modules; report capacity is limited at low end subscription

                ____________ _________ _________ ___

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                  THANK YOU !!!  Yes it was libraryworld that was discussed !!

                  I very much appreciate the help.

                  Amy

                  "Dr. Amy Kahn" <akahn@...> wrote:
[...]

                • Rebecca Stansbury
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
                    Sorry for the confusion. I posted my comment, then realized that my school info. didn't attach to it automatically. I still don't 'get' how this yahoo group site operates!!  Anyway, for those of you who don't know me, my yahoo ID is thorns2go and my school affiliation if below.

                    Anyone think a wiki might be an easier to function as a group? Just a thought.

                    Rebecca Stansbury
                    Librarian / Administrative Assistant

                    American Institute of Alternative Medicine
                    Columbus, OH  43229
                    Phone: 614-825-6255  ext. 231
                    Fax:  614-825-6279

                  • Aileen Huang
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Hi, Jim,

                      I'm sorry that we can't attend meeting in April. For our Doctoral Program the major issue for the library is to access Full text of journal articles off-campus.

                      Here is the information you requested:

                      Number of titles: 3,858
                      Number of total physical volumes: 5,358
                      Software used to catalog and manage the collection: CyberTools for Libraries
                      number of staff: two
                      Professional librarian: one on site
                      number of students: about 300

                      Wish you a successful meeting!

                      Aileen Huang, MS, L.Ac

                      Director of the Learning Center
                      American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                      555 De Haro St, Suite 210
                      San Francisco, CA 94107
                      Tel: 415-355-1601 ext. 19
                      Fax: 415-355-0691

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                        Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
                        Francisco in april:
                        CCAOM Meeting Information
                        The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
                        April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco

                        DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
                        Wednesday
                        April 30, in room Spring A
                        1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

                        Here is a suggested agenda:
                        1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                        2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
                        online?
                        3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                        4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                        software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                        5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.

                        If you haven't yet done so, please let me know
                        some basic information about the library:
                        Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals
                        Number of total physical volumes
                        Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                        number of staff
                        Professional librarian: on site?
                        number of students served

                        If you have additional agenda items or suggests for altering the
                        agenda, please let me know.

                        Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                          Jim, Thanks
                          As I wrote previously, I will attend the meeting in SF.
                          We have three campus libraries, so our details would be different than stand alone libraries.

                          I am curious, why do you need this information?

                          1  The library resources are well suited for the doctoral program.  We added many materials in the past two years.
                          2  Each library has a librarian. Two are degreed medical librarians, one an graduate student
                          3.  We have a website with over 200 internet based resources. www.pacificcollege.eduhttp://pacificcollege.edu/library/index.html
                          4. We have an Internet based system.  Cybertoolsforlibraries, an integrated system that has multiple catalog capabilities for union access.
                          5.Total Resources of the three libraries are generally between 25,000 to 30,000, titles of books, journals, media, software, research materials, etc.
                          Library space and computer labs are sufficient, about 2500 sq ft. in SD, NY. I do not have sq ft of Chicago.

                          I will bring some information about Cybertools and will be happy to address any union catalog questions the group may have.

                          Naomi

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
                              Thought I'd give some of the informatin for PIHMA...

                              Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals:  3500
                              Number of total physical volumes:  2900
                              Software used to catalog and manage the collection: Surpass
                              number of staff: 2
                              Professional librarian: Yes on site? Part-time
                              number of students served:  125

[...]

                              602-274-1885 x104
                            • Linda Moore
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                                I won’t be able to make the San Francisco meeting.   Will there be minutes of the meeting available?

                                Thanks for your help!

                                Linda

                                Emperor’s College of T.O.M. Librarian

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                                  Forgot to mention, Emperor’s College has about 600 Serials (includes electronic and printed), 3,000 physical volumes of Books and 300 Audio-Visuals.   280 students are served, both Master’s and Doctoral Programs, and 1 part-time professional Librarian (20 hours per week) on site, 4 Student Assistants, 1 Bookstore/Library Manager.   Currently, LibraryThing is used as Library cataloging software, but we plan to move to LibraryWorld sometime this summer.

                                  Linda