Re: [ccaomlcaom] april meeting in san francisco

  • mahate rose
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008

      Oops sorry for sending my note to Jim across the airwaves to everyone!

      Thanks,
      Mahate Osborn

      emd89bz <emd89bz@...> wrote:
      Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
      Francisco in april:
      CCAOM Meeting Information
      The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
      April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco
      (Additional information will be posted to the schedule as it becomes
      available)

      DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
      Wednesday
      April 30
      1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

      Here is a suggested agenda:
      1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
      2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
      online?
      3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
      4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
      software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
      5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
      To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
      some basic information about the library:
      Number of titles
      Number of total physical volumes
      Software used to catalog and manage the collection
      number of staff
      Professional librarian: on site?
      number of students served

      Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 31, 2008

        Hello everyone-here is the information requested: number of total physical items: 4,916; number staff: 1 FT, 3 PT; professional staff on site; yes; number of students served: 225; software used to manage collection: FileMakerPro-I do the cataloging. We don’t have a listing of titles yet. I won’t be able to attend the meeting in San Francisco but I appreciate the email connection-thanks!

        David York, MLIS, Librarian

        The Academy of Oriental Medicine at Austin

        2700 West Anderson Lane, Suite 204

        Austin , Texas   78757

        Direct Line - (512) 492-3032

        Ma in number - (512) 454-1188 ext. 232

        Fax - (512) 454-7001

        dyork@...

        www.aoma.edu

        Transforming Lives and Communities Through Graduate Education in Oriental Medicine

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
          Hello to all,
          I will not be able to attend the meeting. Any chance that a webinar
          (for example) could be set up? There are several who will not be
          able to attend but are still interested.

          Thanks to Jim for the many postings. I have found them to be very
          helpful.

          As for the request info. - here goes.
          1. We do not have a research program or doctoral program here. We
          have a masters level acupuncture and massage therapy (both Chinese
          and Western) program.

          2. Online journal and resource materials: I found that Association
          of Academic and Research Libraries (ACRL) has an extensive
          collection of suggested internet resources posted for Complementary
          and alternative medicine. I am wanting to set up a library website,
          within the the school's website, that can include these suggested
          links as additional resources.

          3. I for one am benefiting from this group collaboration.

          4. I prefer the idea of moving on into online catalog versus the
          unionization method. I am still trying to get approval to post the
          catalog online.

          5. Collection: Covers all programs offered here.
          Approx. 1,000 titles plus journals and a small AV collection.

          6. Catolog software, currently, is ResourceMate 2.0 (I do not
          recommend!!)

          7. Staff: I am solo librarian (currently a MLIS student). I also
          double as the school's admin. assistant.

          8. Student enrollment is 200.

          Hope that helps!

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
            thank you for your response.  I don't think we can set up such a webcast. i understand that it may not even be possible to set up some kind of conference call arrangement for some other committee due to expense.

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
              Hi Rebecca, Where are you located?
              Naomi Broering, MLS, MA, FACMI
              Dean of Libraries,
              Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
              San Diego, CA

              On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:13 AM, thorns2go <rhawthorne@...> wrote:
> [...]

              > Here is a suggested agenda:
              > 1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
              > 2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be
              done
              > online?
              > 3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
              > 4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
              > software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
              > 5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
              > To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
              > some basic information about the library:
              > Number of titles
              > Number of total physical volumes
              > Software used to catalog and manage the collection
              > number of staff
              > Professional librarian: on site?
              > number of students served
              >
              > Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

            • Dr. Amy Kahn
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                Hi all,

                I have a very brief question to ask in advance of the meeting as our librarian is need of the information ASAP.  At the meeting in Portland, the group discussed at length a computer program that many of the schools were using.  The cost and usefulness of the program seemed worthy of recording.  I however cannot find my notes from the meeting.  I would very much appreciate anybody's input on this.

                Regards,
                Amy
                _________________________________
                PIHMA College & Clinic
                Amy E. Kahn, PhD, MBA
                Director of Academic Affairs
                602-274-1885 x3104
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                  two software packages are generally discussed:
                  cybertools is a fullservice library management package which can be quite expensive

                  some libraries (at least 3)_ are using Libraryworld from california; easy access relatively inexpensive (365 dollars a year)  with all library management modules; report capacity is limited at low end subscription

                  ____________ _________ _________ ___

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                    THANK YOU !!!  Yes it was libraryworld that was discussed !!

                    I very much appreciate the help.

                    Amy

                    "Dr. Amy Kahn" <akahn@...> wrote:
[...]

                  • Rebecca Stansbury
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Sorry for the confusion. I posted my comment, then realized that my school info. didn't attach to it automatically. I still don't 'get' how this yahoo group site operates!!  Anyway, for those of you who don't know me, my yahoo ID is thorns2go and my school affiliation if below.

                      Anyone think a wiki might be an easier to function as a group? Just a thought.

                      Rebecca Stansbury
                      Librarian / Administrative Assistant

                      American Institute of Alternative Medicine
                      Columbus, OH  43229
                      Phone: 614-825-6255  ext. 231
                      Fax:  614-825-6279

                    • Aileen Huang
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
                        Hi, Jim,

                        I'm sorry that we can't attend meeting in April. For our Doctoral Program the major issue for the library is to access Full text of journal articles off-campus.

                        Here is the information you requested:

                        Number of titles: 3,858
                        Number of total physical volumes: 5,358
                        Software used to catalog and manage the collection: CyberTools for Libraries
                        number of staff: two
                        Professional librarian: one on site
                        number of students: about 300

                        Wish you a successful meeting!

                        Aileen Huang, MS, L.Ac

                        Director of the Learning Center
                        American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                        555 De Haro St, Suite 210
                        San Francisco, CA 94107
                        Tel: 415-355-1601 ext. 19
                        Fax: 415-355-0691

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                          Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
                          Francisco in april:
                          CCAOM Meeting Information
                          The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
                          April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco

                          DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
                          Wednesday
                          April 30, in room Spring A
                          1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

                          Here is a suggested agenda:
                          1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                          2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
                          online?
                          3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                          4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                          software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                          5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.

                          If you haven't yet done so, please let me know
                          some basic information about the library:
                          Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals
                          Number of total physical volumes
                          Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                          number of staff
                          Professional librarian: on site?
                          number of students served

                          If you have additional agenda items or suggests for altering the
                          agenda, please let me know.

                          Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                            Jim, Thanks
                            As I wrote previously, I will attend the meeting in SF.
                            We have three campus libraries, so our details would be different than stand alone libraries.

                            I am curious, why do you need this information?

                            1  The library resources are well suited for the doctoral program.  We added many materials in the past two years.
                            2  Each library has a librarian. Two are degreed medical librarians, one an graduate student
                            3.  We have a website with over 200 internet based resources. www.pacificcollege.eduhttp://pacificcollege.edu/library/index.html
                            4. We have an Internet based system.  Cybertoolsforlibraries, an integrated system that has multiple catalog capabilities for union access.
                            5.Total Resources of the three libraries are generally between 25,000 to 30,000, titles of books, journals, media, software, research materials, etc.
                            Library space and computer labs are sufficient, about 2500 sq ft. in SD, NY. I do not have sq ft of Chicago.

                            I will bring some information about Cybertools and will be happy to address any union catalog questions the group may have.

                            Naomi

                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
                                Thought I'd give some of the informatin for PIHMA...

                                Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals:  3500
                                Number of total physical volumes:  2900
                                Software used to catalog and manage the collection: Surpass
                                number of staff: 2
                                Professional librarian: Yes on site? Part-time
                                number of students served:  125

[...]

                                602-274-1885 x104
                              • Linda Moore
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                                  I won’t be able to make the San Francisco meeting.   Will there be minutes of the meeting available?

                                  Thanks for your help!

                                  Linda

                                  Emperor’s College of T.O.M. Librarian

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                                    Forgot to mention, Emperor’s College has about 600 Serials (includes electronic and printed), 3,000 physical volumes of Books and 300 Audio-Visuals.   280 students are served, both Master’s and Doctoral Programs, and 1 part-time professional Librarian (20 hours per week) on site, 4 Student Assistants, 1 Bookstore/Library Manager.   Currently, LibraryThing is used as Library cataloging software, but we plan to move to LibraryWorld sometime this summer.

                                    Linda