Re: [ccaomlcaom] April meeting in san francisco

    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 21, 2008
      the entire collection

      Della Shupe <dshupe@...> wrote:
      Thank you, Jim. I'm afraid that I won't be able to attend the meeting in San Francisco. I would really like to meet all of you, but I can't this year.

      I am happy to provide the information you requested, but I'm wondering if you want the stats for the whole collection and student body or just for the AOM materials and students?

      Thanks.

      Della Shupe

      Della Shupe
      Director of Library Services
      Greenawalt Library
      Northwestern Health Sciences University
      2501 West 84th Street
      Bloomington, MN 55431
      (952) 885-5417 dshupe@nwhealth. edu

      >>> "emd89bz" <emd89bz@yahoo. com> 3/19/2008 3:43 PM >>>
      Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
      Francisco in april:
      CCAOM Meeting Information
      The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
      April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco
      (Additional information will be posted to the schedule as it becomes
      available)

      DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
      Wednesday
      April 30
      1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

      Here is a suggested agenda:
      1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
      2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
      online?
      3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
      4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
      software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
      5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
      To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
      some basic information about the library:
      Number of titles
      Number of total physical volumes
      Software used to catalog and manage the collection
      number of staff
      Professional librarian: on site?
      number of students served

      Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

    • David Sale
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008

        Dear LCAOM Members:

                    This will follow-up from a previous e-mail I recently sent to the committee in response to Dan’s query below about the possibility of having a conference call phone device in the LCAOM committee room in San Francisco.  After checking with the hotel, the charges for renting a conference phone device for the committee meeting, and particularly the long distance line charges that would have to be paid by the Council (billed by the hotel) for the length of the meeting, would be beyond what the Council has budgeted for this meeting.  The hotel advises that it would be necessary for the committee and each outside caller to dial-in to a conference call vendor with an assigned number and password.  The CCAOM Executive Committee does this periodically when it meets by conference call and the charges for only an hour or so can be substantial.  LCAOM is scheduled to meet for 3 ½ hours.

        I am sorry that we cannot do this as I realize that many schools do not send their librarians to these meetings.   At the same time, the CCAOM Yahoo Group for LCAOM members is the most active of all the CCAOM Yahoo groups and perhaps through that forum committee members can move forward on the committee’s agenda.

        David M. Sale

        3909 National Drive

        Suite 125

        Burtonsville, MD 20866

        Telephone:  301-476-7791

        Fax:  301-476-7792

        E-mail: executivedirector@...

        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008
          Message
          Hello everyone:
          I want to thank David Sale for checking into the conference call idea.  Between now and the meeting I will try to send any questions to the LCAOM discussion list, and then read the meeting notes.  I can also send any concerns with our representative, Jason Wright.

          p.s. Jim I still need to send you answers to the earlier library questions.  Will send that info shortly.  Dan
          Daniel Kanaley MLS,MS,MA
          Library Director
          dkanaley@...

          E-mail: executivedirector@ ccaom.org

[...]

          Jim Emdy

        • mahate rose
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008
            Hi Jim,

            It looks like I will likely be able to attend the library committe portion
            of the CCAOM meeting, although I may have to leave 1/2 hour early.
            Thank you for sending out all the helpful emails.

            Here is the information you asked for about our library.
            As you will see I have a couple questions concerning the first point.

            Number of titles: We are in-process of collecting this information. Are you
                        including journals? And, in differentiating between this question and #
                        of physical volumes, are you asking about series sets, etc?
            Number of total physical volumes, including books and AV: approximately 2300
            Software used to catalog and manage the collection: LibraryWorld
            number of staff: 4
            Professional librarian: on site? Yes
            number of students served: 142

            Thank you,
            Mahate Osborn
            AIMC Berkeley Librarian

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 31, 2008

                Hello everyone-here is the information requested: number of total physical items: 4,916; number staff: 1 FT, 3 PT; professional staff on site; yes; number of students served: 225; software used to manage collection: FileMakerPro-I do the cataloging. We don’t have a listing of titles yet. I won’t be able to attend the meeting in San Francisco but I appreciate the email connection-thanks!

                David York, MLIS, Librarian

                The Academy of Oriental Medicine at Austin

                2700 West Anderson Lane, Suite 204

                Austin , Texas   78757

                Direct Line - (512) 492-3032

                Ma in number - (512) 454-1188 ext. 232

                Fax - (512) 454-7001

                dyork@...

                www.aoma.edu

                Transforming Lives and Communities Through Graduate Education in Oriental Medicine

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Hello to all,
                  I will not be able to attend the meeting. Any chance that a webinar
                  (for example) could be set up? There are several who will not be
                  able to attend but are still interested.

                  Thanks to Jim for the many postings. I have found them to be very
                  helpful.

                  As for the request info. - here goes.
                  1. We do not have a research program or doctoral program here. We
                  have a masters level acupuncture and massage therapy (both Chinese
                  and Western) program.

                  2. Online journal and resource materials: I found that Association
                  of Academic and Research Libraries (ACRL) has an extensive
                  collection of suggested internet resources posted for Complementary
                  and alternative medicine. I am wanting to set up a library website,
                  within the the school's website, that can include these suggested
                  links as additional resources.

                  3. I for one am benefiting from this group collaboration.

                  4. I prefer the idea of moving on into online catalog versus the
                  unionization method. I am still trying to get approval to post the
                  catalog online.

                  5. Collection: Covers all programs offered here.
                  Approx. 1,000 titles plus journals and a small AV collection.

                  6. Catolog software, currently, is ResourceMate 2.0 (I do not
                  recommend!!)

                  7. Staff: I am solo librarian (currently a MLIS student). I also
                  double as the school's admin. assistant.

                  8. Student enrollment is 200.

                  Hope that helps!

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                    thank you for your response.  I don't think we can set up such a webcast. i understand that it may not even be possible to set up some kind of conference call arrangement for some other committee due to expense.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                      Hi Rebecca, Where are you located?
                      Naomi Broering, MLS, MA, FACMI
                      Dean of Libraries,
                      Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
                      San Diego, CA

                      On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:13 AM, thorns2go <rhawthorne@...> wrote:
> [...]

                      > Here is a suggested agenda:
                      > 1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                      > 2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be
                      done
                      > online?
                      > 3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                      > 4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                      > software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                      > 5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
                      > To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
                      > some basic information about the library:
                      > Number of titles
                      > Number of total physical volumes
                      > Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                      > number of staff
                      > Professional librarian: on site?
                      > number of students served
                      >
                      > Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                    • Dr. Amy Kahn
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                        Hi all,

                        I have a very brief question to ask in advance of the meeting as our librarian is need of the information ASAP.  At the meeting in Portland, the group discussed at length a computer program that many of the schools were using.  The cost and usefulness of the program seemed worthy of recording.  I however cannot find my notes from the meeting.  I would very much appreciate anybody's input on this.

                        Regards,
                        Amy
                        _________________________________
                        PIHMA College & Clinic
                        Amy E. Kahn, PhD, MBA
                        Director of Academic Affairs
                        602-274-1885 x3104
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                          two software packages are generally discussed:
                          cybertools is a fullservice library management package which can be quite expensive

                          some libraries (at least 3)_ are using Libraryworld from california; easy access relatively inexpensive (365 dollars a year)  with all library management modules; report capacity is limited at low end subscription

                          ____________ _________ _________ ___

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                            THANK YOU !!!  Yes it was libraryworld that was discussed !!

                            I very much appreciate the help.

                            Amy

                            "Dr. Amy Kahn" <akahn@...> wrote:
[...]

                          • Rebecca Stansbury
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
                              Sorry for the confusion. I posted my comment, then realized that my school info. didn't attach to it automatically. I still don't 'get' how this yahoo group site operates!!  Anyway, for those of you who don't know me, my yahoo ID is thorns2go and my school affiliation if below.

                              Anyone think a wiki might be an easier to function as a group? Just a thought.

                              Rebecca Stansbury
                              Librarian / Administrative Assistant

                              American Institute of Alternative Medicine
                              Columbus, OH  43229
                              Phone: 614-825-6255  ext. 231
                              Fax:  614-825-6279

                            • Aileen Huang
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
                                Hi, Jim,

                                I'm sorry that we can't attend meeting in April. For our Doctoral Program the major issue for the library is to access Full text of journal articles off-campus.

                                Here is the information you requested:

                                Number of titles: 3,858
                                Number of total physical volumes: 5,358
                                Software used to catalog and manage the collection: CyberTools for Libraries
                                number of staff: two
                                Professional librarian: one on site
                                number of students: about 300

                                Wish you a successful meeting!

                                Aileen Huang, MS, L.Ac

                                Director of the Learning Center
                                American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                                555 De Haro St, Suite 210
                                San Francisco, CA 94107
                                Tel: 415-355-1601 ext. 19
                                Fax: 415-355-0691

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                                  Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
                                  Francisco in april:
                                  CCAOM Meeting Information
                                  The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
                                  April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco

                                  DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
                                  Wednesday
                                  April 30, in room Spring A
                                  1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

                                  Here is a suggested agenda:
                                  1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                                  2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
                                  online?
                                  3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                                  4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                                  software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                                  5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.

                                  If you haven't yet done so, please let me know
                                  some basic information about the library:
                                  Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals
                                  Number of total physical volumes
                                  Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                                  number of staff
                                  Professional librarian: on site?
                                  number of students served

                                  If you have additional agenda items or suggests for altering the
                                  agenda, please let me know.

                                  Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                                    Jim, Thanks
                                    As I wrote previously, I will attend the meeting in SF.
                                    We have three campus libraries, so our details would be different than stand alone libraries.

                                    I am curious, why do you need this information?

                                    1  The library resources are well suited for the doctoral program.  We added many materials in the past two years.
                                    2  Each library has a librarian. Two are degreed medical librarians, one an graduate student
                                    3.  We have a website with over 200 internet based resources. www.pacificcollege.eduhttp://pacificcollege.edu/library/index.html
                                    4. We have an Internet based system.  Cybertoolsforlibraries, an integrated system that has multiple catalog capabilities for union access.
                                    5.Total Resources of the three libraries are generally between 25,000 to 30,000, titles of books, journals, media, software, research materials, etc.
                                    Library space and computer labs are sufficient, about 2500 sq ft. in SD, NY. I do not have sq ft of Chicago.

                                    I will bring some information about Cybertools and will be happy to address any union catalog questions the group may have.

                                    Naomi

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
                                        Thought I'd give some of the informatin for PIHMA...

                                        Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals:  3500
                                        Number of total physical volumes:  2900
                                        Software used to catalog and manage the collection: Surpass
                                        number of staff: 2
                                        Professional librarian: Yes on site? Part-time
                                        number of students served:  125

[...]

                                        602-274-1885 x104
                                      • Linda Moore
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                                          I won’t be able to make the San Francisco meeting.   Will there be minutes of the meeting available?

                                          Thanks for your help!

                                          Linda

                                          Emperor’s College of T.O.M. Librarian

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                                            Forgot to mention, Emperor’s College has about 600 Serials (includes electronic and printed), 3,000 physical volumes of Books and 300 Audio-Visuals.   280 students are served, both Master’s and Doctoral Programs, and 1 part-time professional Librarian (20 hours per week) on site, 4 Student Assistants, 1 Bookstore/Library Manager.   Currently, LibraryThing is used as Library cataloging software, but we plan to move to LibraryWorld sometime this summer.

                                            Linda