RE: [ccaomlcaom] april meeting in san francisco

  • Boni, Bethyn A. M.L.S.
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 20, 2008

      Please forgive this post; I meant to forward it, not reply, in response to a question I had asked.

      Redfaced,

      Bethyn
      Bethyn A. Boni, M.L.S., Associate Librarian, Media

      In the now famous words of Emily Litella,

      “Nermind.”

      :-)

      Bethyn
      ____________ _________ _________ _________ ___
      Bethyn A. Boni, M.L.S., Associate Librarian, Media

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 21, 2008
        the entire collection

        Della Shupe <dshupe@...> wrote:
        Thank you, Jim. I'm afraid that I won't be able to attend the meeting in San Francisco. I would really like to meet all of you, but I can't this year.

        I am happy to provide the information you requested, but I'm wondering if you want the stats for the whole collection and student body or just for the AOM materials and students?

        Thanks.

        Della Shupe

        Della Shupe
        Director of Library Services
        Greenawalt Library
        Northwestern Health Sciences University
        2501 West 84th Street
        Bloomington, MN 55431
        (952) 885-5417 dshupe@nwhealth. edu

        >>> "emd89bz" <emd89bz@yahoo. com> 3/19/2008 3:43 PM >>>
        Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
        Francisco in april:
        CCAOM Meeting Information
        The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
        April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco
        (Additional information will be posted to the schedule as it becomes
        available)

        DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
        Wednesday
        April 30
        1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

        Here is a suggested agenda:
        1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
        2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
        online?
        3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
        4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
        software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
        5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
        To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
        some basic information about the library:
        Number of titles
        Number of total physical volumes
        Software used to catalog and manage the collection
        number of staff
        Professional librarian: on site?
        number of students served

        Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

      • David Sale
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008

          Dear LCAOM Members:

                      This will follow-up from a previous e-mail I recently sent to the committee in response to Dan’s query below about the possibility of having a conference call phone device in the LCAOM committee room in San Francisco.  After checking with the hotel, the charges for renting a conference phone device for the committee meeting, and particularly the long distance line charges that would have to be paid by the Council (billed by the hotel) for the length of the meeting, would be beyond what the Council has budgeted for this meeting.  The hotel advises that it would be necessary for the committee and each outside caller to dial-in to a conference call vendor with an assigned number and password.  The CCAOM Executive Committee does this periodically when it meets by conference call and the charges for only an hour or so can be substantial.  LCAOM is scheduled to meet for 3 ½ hours.

          I am sorry that we cannot do this as I realize that many schools do not send their librarians to these meetings.   At the same time, the CCAOM Yahoo Group for LCAOM members is the most active of all the CCAOM Yahoo groups and perhaps through that forum committee members can move forward on the committee’s agenda.

          David M. Sale

          3909 National Drive

          Suite 125

          Burtonsville, MD 20866

          Telephone:  301-476-7791

          Fax:  301-476-7792

          E-mail: executivedirector@...

          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008
            Message
            Hello everyone:
            I want to thank David Sale for checking into the conference call idea.  Between now and the meeting I will try to send any questions to the LCAOM discussion list, and then read the meeting notes.  I can also send any concerns with our representative, Jason Wright.

            p.s. Jim I still need to send you answers to the earlier library questions.  Will send that info shortly.  Dan
            Daniel Kanaley MLS,MS,MA
            Library Director
            dkanaley@...

            E-mail: executivedirector@ ccaom.org

[...]

            Jim Emdy

          • mahate rose
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008
              Hi Jim,

              It looks like I will likely be able to attend the library committe portion
              of the CCAOM meeting, although I may have to leave 1/2 hour early.
              Thank you for sending out all the helpful emails.

              Here is the information you asked for about our library.
              As you will see I have a couple questions concerning the first point.

              Number of titles: We are in-process of collecting this information. Are you
                          including journals? And, in differentiating between this question and #
                          of physical volumes, are you asking about series sets, etc?
              Number of total physical volumes, including books and AV: approximately 2300
              Software used to catalog and manage the collection: LibraryWorld
              number of staff: 4
              Professional librarian: on site? Yes
              number of students served: 142

              Thank you,
              Mahate Osborn
              AIMC Berkeley Librarian

                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 31, 2008

                  Hello everyone-here is the information requested: number of total physical items: 4,916; number staff: 1 FT, 3 PT; professional staff on site; yes; number of students served: 225; software used to manage collection: FileMakerPro-I do the cataloging. We don’t have a listing of titles yet. I won’t be able to attend the meeting in San Francisco but I appreciate the email connection-thanks!

                  David York, MLIS, Librarian

                  The Academy of Oriental Medicine at Austin

                  2700 West Anderson Lane, Suite 204

                  Austin , Texas   78757

                  Direct Line - (512) 492-3032

                  Ma in number - (512) 454-1188 ext. 232

                  Fax - (512) 454-7001

                  dyork@...

                  www.aoma.edu

                  Transforming Lives and Communities Through Graduate Education in Oriental Medicine

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Hello to all,
                    I will not be able to attend the meeting. Any chance that a webinar
                    (for example) could be set up? There are several who will not be
                    able to attend but are still interested.

                    Thanks to Jim for the many postings. I have found them to be very
                    helpful.

                    As for the request info. - here goes.
                    1. We do not have a research program or doctoral program here. We
                    have a masters level acupuncture and massage therapy (both Chinese
                    and Western) program.

                    2. Online journal and resource materials: I found that Association
                    of Academic and Research Libraries (ACRL) has an extensive
                    collection of suggested internet resources posted for Complementary
                    and alternative medicine. I am wanting to set up a library website,
                    within the the school's website, that can include these suggested
                    links as additional resources.

                    3. I for one am benefiting from this group collaboration.

                    4. I prefer the idea of moving on into online catalog versus the
                    unionization method. I am still trying to get approval to post the
                    catalog online.

                    5. Collection: Covers all programs offered here.
                    Approx. 1,000 titles plus journals and a small AV collection.

                    6. Catolog software, currently, is ResourceMate 2.0 (I do not
                    recommend!!)

                    7. Staff: I am solo librarian (currently a MLIS student). I also
                    double as the school's admin. assistant.

                    8. Student enrollment is 200.

                    Hope that helps!

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                      thank you for your response.  I don't think we can set up such a webcast. i understand that it may not even be possible to set up some kind of conference call arrangement for some other committee due to expense.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                        Hi Rebecca, Where are you located?
                        Naomi Broering, MLS, MA, FACMI
                        Dean of Libraries,
                        Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
                        San Diego, CA

                        On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:13 AM, thorns2go <rhawthorne@...> wrote:
> [...]

                        > Here is a suggested agenda:
                        > 1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                        > 2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be
                        done
                        > online?
                        > 3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                        > 4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                        > software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                        > 5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
                        > To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
                        > some basic information about the library:
                        > Number of titles
                        > Number of total physical volumes
                        > Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                        > number of staff
                        > Professional librarian: on site?
                        > number of students served
                        >
                        > Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                      • Dr. Amy Kahn
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                          Hi all,

                          I have a very brief question to ask in advance of the meeting as our librarian is need of the information ASAP.  At the meeting in Portland, the group discussed at length a computer program that many of the schools were using.  The cost and usefulness of the program seemed worthy of recording.  I however cannot find my notes from the meeting.  I would very much appreciate anybody's input on this.

                          Regards,
                          Amy
                          _________________________________
                          PIHMA College & Clinic
                          Amy E. Kahn, PhD, MBA
                          Director of Academic Affairs
                          602-274-1885 x3104
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                            two software packages are generally discussed:
                            cybertools is a fullservice library management package which can be quite expensive

                            some libraries (at least 3)_ are using Libraryworld from california; easy access relatively inexpensive (365 dollars a year)  with all library management modules; report capacity is limited at low end subscription

                            ____________ _________ _________ ___

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 1, 2008
                              THANK YOU !!!  Yes it was libraryworld that was discussed !!

                              I very much appreciate the help.

                              Amy

                              "Dr. Amy Kahn" <akahn@...> wrote:
[...]

                            • Rebecca Stansbury
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
                                Sorry for the confusion. I posted my comment, then realized that my school info. didn't attach to it automatically. I still don't 'get' how this yahoo group site operates!!  Anyway, for those of you who don't know me, my yahoo ID is thorns2go and my school affiliation if below.

                                Anyone think a wiki might be an easier to function as a group? Just a thought.

                                Rebecca Stansbury
                                Librarian / Administrative Assistant

                                American Institute of Alternative Medicine
                                Columbus, OH  43229
                                Phone: 614-825-6255  ext. 231
                                Fax:  614-825-6279

                              • Aileen Huang
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
                                  Hi, Jim,

                                  I'm sorry that we can't attend meeting in April. For our Doctoral Program the major issue for the library is to access Full text of journal articles off-campus.

                                  Here is the information you requested:

                                  Number of titles: 3,858
                                  Number of total physical volumes: 5,358
                                  Software used to catalog and manage the collection: CyberTools for Libraries
                                  number of staff: two
                                  Professional librarian: one on site
                                  number of students: about 300

                                  Wish you a successful meeting!

                                  Aileen Huang, MS, L.Ac

                                  Director of the Learning Center
                                  American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                                  555 De Haro St, Suite 210
                                  San Francisco, CA 94107
                                  Tel: 415-355-1601 ext. 19
                                  Fax: 415-355-0691

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                                    Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
                                    Francisco in april:
                                    CCAOM Meeting Information
                                    The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
                                    April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco

                                    DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
                                    Wednesday
                                    April 30, in room Spring A
                                    1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

                                    Here is a suggested agenda:
                                    1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                                    2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
                                    online?
                                    3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                                    4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                                    software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                                    5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.

                                    If you haven't yet done so, please let me know
                                    some basic information about the library:
                                    Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals
                                    Number of total physical volumes
                                    Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                                    number of staff
                                    Professional librarian: on site?
                                    number of students served

                                    If you have additional agenda items or suggests for altering the
                                    agenda, please let me know.

                                    Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 23, 2008
                                      Jim, Thanks
                                      As I wrote previously, I will attend the meeting in SF.
                                      We have three campus libraries, so our details would be different than stand alone libraries.

                                      I am curious, why do you need this information?

                                      1  The library resources are well suited for the doctoral program.  We added many materials in the past two years.
                                      2  Each library has a librarian. Two are degreed medical librarians, one an graduate student
                                      3.  We have a website with over 200 internet based resources. www.pacificcollege.eduhttp://pacificcollege.edu/library/index.html
                                      4. We have an Internet based system.  Cybertoolsforlibraries, an integrated system that has multiple catalog capabilities for union access.
                                      5.Total Resources of the three libraries are generally between 25,000 to 30,000, titles of books, journals, media, software, research materials, etc.
                                      Library space and computer labs are sufficient, about 2500 sq ft. in SD, NY. I do not have sq ft of Chicago.

                                      I will bring some information about Cybertools and will be happy to address any union catalog questions the group may have.

                                      Naomi

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
                                          Thought I'd give some of the informatin for PIHMA...

                                          Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals:  3500
                                          Number of total physical volumes:  2900
                                          Software used to catalog and manage the collection: Surpass
                                          number of staff: 2
                                          Professional librarian: Yes on site? Part-time
                                          number of students served:  125

[...]

                                          602-274-1885 x104
                                        • Linda Moore
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                                            I won’t be able to make the San Francisco meeting.   Will there be minutes of the meeting available?

                                            Thanks for your help!

                                            Linda

                                            Emperor’s College of T.O.M. Librarian

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 25, 2008

                                              Forgot to mention, Emperor’s College has about 600 Serials (includes electronic and printed), 3,000 physical volumes of Books and 300 Audio-Visuals.   280 students are served, both Master’s and Doctoral Programs, and 1 part-time professional Librarian (20 hours per week) on site, 4 Student Assistants, 1 Bookstore/Library Manager.   Currently, LibraryThing is used as Library cataloging software, but we plan to move to LibraryWorld sometime this summer.

                                              Linda