RE: [ccaomlcaom] april meeting in san francisco

  • David Sale
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 19, 2008

      Dear Dan:

                  Regarding the possibility of a conference call during the LCAOM meeting, I will check with the hotel about this and get back in touch with the group.  Typically, hotels can put a conference call phone on the table in the meeting room and calls can be made in and out during the meeting, but I think this would likely be an expense to the Council, rather than to an individual school, but I will check.  The cost may not be insignificant over a 3 ½ hour period.  FYI, there will be a representative from NYCC attending the Council’s workshop on Saturday (Jason Wright).

      David

      David M. Sale

      3909 National Drive

      Suite 125

      Burtonsville, MD 20866

      Telephone:  301-476-7791

      Fax:  301-476-7792

      E-mail: executivedirector@...

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 20, 2008

        In the now famous words of Emily Litella,

        “Nermind.”

        :-)

        Bethyn
        Bethyn A. Boni, M.L.S., Associate Librarian, Media

        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 20, 2008

          Please forgive this post; I meant to forward it, not reply, in response to a question I had asked.

          Redfaced,

          Bethyn
          Bethyn A. Boni, M.L.S., Associate Librarian, Media

          In the now famous words of Emily Litella,

          “Nermind.”

          :-)

          Bethyn
          ____________ _________ _________ _________ ___
          Bethyn A. Boni, M.L.S., Associate Librarian, Media

          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 21, 2008
            the entire collection

            Della Shupe <dshupe@...> wrote:
            Thank you, Jim. I'm afraid that I won't be able to attend the meeting in San Francisco. I would really like to meet all of you, but I can't this year.

            I am happy to provide the information you requested, but I'm wondering if you want the stats for the whole collection and student body or just for the AOM materials and students?

            Thanks.

            Della Shupe

            Della Shupe
            Director of Library Services
            Greenawalt Library
            Northwestern Health Sciences University
            2501 West 84th Street
            Bloomington, MN 55431
            (952) 885-5417 dshupe@nwhealth. edu

            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008

              Dear LCAOM Members:

                          This will follow-up from a previous e-mail I recently sent to the committee in response to Dan’s query below about the possibility of having a conference call phone device in the LCAOM committee room in San Francisco.  After checking with the hotel, the charges for renting a conference phone device for the committee meeting, and particularly the long distance line charges that would have to be paid by the Council (billed by the hotel) for the length of the meeting, would be beyond what the Council has budgeted for this meeting.  The hotel advises that it would be necessary for the committee and each outside caller to dial-in to a conference call vendor with an assigned number and password.  The CCAOM Executive Committee does this periodically when it meets by conference call and the charges for only an hour or so can be substantial.  LCAOM is scheduled to meet for 3 ½ hours.

              I am sorry that we cannot do this as I realize that many schools do not send their librarians to these meetings.   At the same time, the CCAOM Yahoo Group for LCAOM members is the most active of all the CCAOM Yahoo groups and perhaps through that forum committee members can move forward on the committee’s agenda.

              David M. Sale

              3909 National Drive

              Suite 125

              Burtonsville, MD 20866

              Telephone:  301-476-7791

              Fax:  301-476-7792

              E-mail: executivedirector@...

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008
                Message
                Hello everyone:
                I want to thank David Sale for checking into the conference call idea.  Between now and the meeting I will try to send any questions to the LCAOM discussion list, and then read the meeting notes.  I can also send any concerns with our representative, Jason Wright.

                p.s. Jim I still need to send you answers to the earlier library questions.  Will send that info shortly.  Dan
                Daniel Kanaley MLS,MS,MA
                Library Director
                dkanaley@...

                E-mail: executivedirector@ ccaom.org

                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008
                  Hi Jim,

                  It looks like I will likely be able to attend the library committe portion
                  of the CCAOM meeting, although I may have to leave 1/2 hour early.
                  Thank you for sending out all the helpful emails.

                  Here is the information you asked for about our library.
                  As you will see I have a couple questions concerning the first point.

                  Number of titles: We are in-process of collecting this information. Are you
                              including journals? And, in differentiating between this question and #
                              of physical volumes, are you asking about series sets, etc?
                  Number of total physical volumes, including books and AV: approximately 2300
                  Software used to catalog and manage the collection: LibraryWorld
                  number of staff: 4
                  Professional librarian: on site? Yes
                  number of students served: 142

                  Thank you,
                  Mahate Osborn
                  AIMC Berkeley Librarian

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 31, 2008

                      Hello everyone-here is the information requested: number of total physical items: 4,916; number staff: 1 FT, 3 PT; professional staff on site; yes; number of students served: 225; software used to manage collection: FileMakerPro-I do the cataloging. We don’t have a listing of titles yet. I won’t be able to attend the meeting in San Francisco but I appreciate the email connection-thanks!

                      David York, MLIS, Librarian

                      The Academy of Oriental Medicine at Austin

                      2700 West Anderson Lane, Suite 204

                      Austin , Texas   78757

                      Direct Line - (512) 492-3032

                      Ma in number - (512) 454-1188 ext. 232

                      Fax - (512) 454-7001

                      dyork@...

                      www.aoma.edu

                      Transforming Lives and Communities Through Graduate Education in Oriental Medicine

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 1 9:13 AM
                        Hello to all,
                        I will not be able to attend the meeting. Any chance that a webinar
                        (for example) could be set up? There are several who will not be
                        able to attend but are still interested.

                        Thanks to Jim for the many postings. I have found them to be very
                        helpful.

                        As for the request info. - here goes.
                        1. We do not have a research program or doctoral program here. We
                        have a masters level acupuncture and massage therapy (both Chinese
                        and Western) program.

                        2. Online journal and resource materials: I found that Association
                        of Academic and Research Libraries (ACRL) has an extensive
                        collection of suggested internet resources posted for Complementary
                        and alternative medicine. I am wanting to set up a library website,
                        within the the school's website, that can include these suggested
                        links as additional resources.

                        3. I for one am benefiting from this group collaboration.

                        4. I prefer the idea of moving on into online catalog versus the
                        unionization method. I am still trying to get approval to post the
                        catalog online.

                        5. Collection: Covers all programs offered here.
                        Approx. 1,000 titles plus journals and a small AV collection.

                        6. Catolog software, currently, is ResourceMate 2.0 (I do not
                        recommend!!)

                        7. Staff: I am solo librarian (currently a MLIS student). I also
                        double as the school's admin. assistant.

                        8. Student enrollment is 200.

                        Hope that helps!

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 1 10:14 AM
                          thank you for your response.  I don't think we can set up such a webcast. i understand that it may not even be possible to set up some kind of conference call arrangement for some other committee due to expense.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 1 12:29 PM
                            Hi Rebecca, Where are you located?
                            Naomi Broering, MLS, MA, FACMI
                            Dean of Libraries,
                            Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
                            San Diego, CA

                            On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:13 AM, thorns2go <rhawthorne@...> wrote:
> [...]

                            > Here is a suggested agenda:
                            > 1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                            > 2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be
                            done
                            > online?
                            > 3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                            > 4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                            > software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                            > 5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
                            > To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
                            > some basic information about the library:
                            > Number of titles
                            > Number of total physical volumes
                            > Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                            > number of staff
                            > Professional librarian: on site?
                            > number of students served
                            >
                            > Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                          • Dr. Amy Kahn
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 1 3:43 PM
                              Hi all,

                              I have a very brief question to ask in advance of the meeting as our librarian is need of the information ASAP.  At the meeting in Portland, the group discussed at length a computer program that many of the schools were using.  The cost and usefulness of the program seemed worthy of recording.  I however cannot find my notes from the meeting.  I would very much appreciate anybody's input on this.

                              Regards,
                              Amy
                              _________________________________
                              PIHMA College & Clinic
                              Amy E. Kahn, PhD, MBA
                              Director of Academic Affairs
                              602-274-1885 x3104
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 1 5:21 PM
                                two software packages are generally discussed:
                                cybertools is a fullservice library management package which can be quite expensive

                                some libraries (at least 3)_ are using Libraryworld from california; easy access relatively inexpensive (365 dollars a year)  with all library management modules; report capacity is limited at low end subscription

                                ____________ _________ _________ ___

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 1 7:41 PM
                                  THANK YOU !!!  Yes it was libraryworld that was discussed !!

                                  I very much appreciate the help.

                                  Amy

                                  "Dr. Amy Kahn" <akahn@...> wrote:
[...]

                                • Rebecca Stansbury
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 2 8:11 AM
                                    Sorry for the confusion. I posted my comment, then realized that my school info. didn't attach to it automatically. I still don't 'get' how this yahoo group site operates!!  Anyway, for those of you who don't know me, my yahoo ID is thorns2go and my school affiliation if below.

                                    Anyone think a wiki might be an easier to function as a group? Just a thought.

                                    Rebecca Stansbury
                                    Librarian / Administrative Assistant

                                    American Institute of Alternative Medicine
                                    Columbus, OH  43229
                                    Phone: 614-825-6255  ext. 231
                                    Fax:  614-825-6279

                                  • Aileen Huang
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 2 6:17 PM
                                      Hi, Jim,

                                      I'm sorry that we can't attend meeting in April. For our Doctoral Program the major issue for the library is to access Full text of journal articles off-campus.

                                      Here is the information you requested:

                                      Number of titles: 3,858
                                      Number of total physical volumes: 5,358
                                      Software used to catalog and manage the collection: CyberTools for Libraries
                                      number of staff: two
                                      Professional librarian: one on site
                                      number of students: about 300

                                      Wish you a successful meeting!

                                      Aileen Huang, MS, L.Ac

                                      Director of the Learning Center
                                      American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                                      555 De Haro St, Suite 210
                                      San Francisco, CA 94107
                                      Tel: 415-355-1601 ext. 19
                                      Fax: 415-355-0691

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 23 2:14 PM
                                        Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
                                        Francisco in april:
                                        CCAOM Meeting Information
                                        The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
                                        April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco

                                        DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
                                        Wednesday
                                        April 30, in room Spring A
                                        1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

                                        Here is a suggested agenda:
                                        1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                                        2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
                                        online?
                                        3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                                        4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                                        software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                                        5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.

                                        If you haven't yet done so, please let me know
                                        some basic information about the library:
                                        Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals
                                        Number of total physical volumes
                                        Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                                        number of staff
                                        Professional librarian: on site?
                                        number of students served

                                        If you have additional agenda items or suggests for altering the
                                        agenda, please let me know.

                                        Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 23 2:56 PM
                                          Jim, Thanks
                                          As I wrote previously, I will attend the meeting in SF.
                                          We have three campus libraries, so our details would be different than stand alone libraries.

                                          I am curious, why do you need this information?

                                          1  The library resources are well suited for the doctoral program.  We added many materials in the past two years.
                                          2  Each library has a librarian. Two are degreed medical librarians, one an graduate student
                                          3.  We have a website with over 200 internet based resources. www.pacificcollege.eduhttp://pacificcollege.edu/library/index.html
                                          4. We have an Internet based system.  Cybertoolsforlibraries, an integrated system that has multiple catalog capabilities for union access.
                                          5.Total Resources of the three libraries are generally between 25,000 to 30,000, titles of books, journals, media, software, research materials, etc.
                                          Library space and computer labs are sufficient, about 2500 sq ft. in SD, NY. I do not have sq ft of Chicago.

                                          I will bring some information about Cybertools and will be happy to address any union catalog questions the group may have.

                                          Naomi

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 24 5:18 PM
                                              Thought I'd give some of the informatin for PIHMA...

                                              Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals:  3500
                                              Number of total physical volumes:  2900
                                              Software used to catalog and manage the collection: Surpass
                                              number of staff: 2
                                              Professional librarian: Yes on site? Part-time
                                              number of students served:  125

[...]

                                              602-274-1885 x104
                                            • Linda Moore
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 25 2:31 PM

                                                I won’t be able to make the San Francisco meeting.   Will there be minutes of the meeting available?

                                                Thanks for your help!

                                                Linda

                                                Emperor’s College of T.O.M. Librarian

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 25 2:51 PM

                                                  Forgot to mention, Emperor’s College has about 600 Serials (includes electronic and printed), 3,000 physical volumes of Books and 300 Audio-Visuals.   280 students are served, both Master’s and Doctoral Programs, and 1 part-time professional Librarian (20 hours per week) on site, 4 Student Assistants, 1 Bookstore/Library Manager.   Currently, LibraryThing is used as Library cataloging software, but we plan to move to LibraryWorld sometime this summer.

                                                  Linda