april meeting in san francisco

  • emd89bz
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 19, 2008
      Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
      Francisco in april:
      CCAOM Meeting Information
      The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
      April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco
      (Additional information will be posted to the schedule as it becomes
      available)

      DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
      Wednesday
      April 30
      1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

      Here is a suggested agenda:
      1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
      2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
      online?
      3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
      4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
      software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
      5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
      To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
      some basic information about the library:
      Number of titles
      Number of total physical volumes
      Software used to catalog and manage the collection
      number of staff
      Professional librarian: on site?
      number of students served

      Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

      Jim Emdy
    • Kanaley, Dan
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 19, 2008
        Message
        Hi Jim and members of CCAOMLCAOM,
        Here at NY Chiropractic College our AOM program has just been accredited.  We started the program in 2004.

        We want to participate in CCAOMLCAOM as much as possible, but we will be unable to attend the SF meeting, although traveling to SF for the meeting is very tempting.

        If there is any way to arrange a conference call with members who are unable to attend, we would be happy to pay for our telecom charges.  Do you think the hotel would have a conference calling "telephone"?  If they did and I called the assigned conference call number then I think we'd be charged for the call (?)  Just a thought...

        Anyway I will work on getting you the requested information. Thanks for your hard work on behalf of our AOM library mission.  Dan

        Daniel Kanaley MLS,MS,MA
        Library Director
        dkanaley@...

        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 19, 2008
          Thank you, Jim. I'm afraid that I won't be able to attend the meeting in San Francisco. I would really like to meet all of you, but I can't this year.

          I am happy to provide the information you requested, but I'm wondering if you want the stats for the whole collection and student body or just for the AOM materials and students?

          Thanks.

          Della Shupe

          Della Shupe
          Director of Library Services
          Greenawalt Library
          Northwestern Health Sciences University
          2501 West 84th Street
          Bloomington, MN 55431
          (952) 885-5417 dshupe@...

          >>> "emd89bz" <emd89bz@...> 3/19/2008 3:43 PM >>>
          Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
          Francisco in april:
          CCAOM Meeting Information
          The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
          April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco
          (Additional information will be posted to the schedule as it becomes
          available)

          DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
          Wednesday
          April 30
          1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

          Here is a suggested agenda:
          1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
          2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
          online?
          3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
          4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
          software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
          5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
          To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
          some basic information about the library:
          Number of titles
          Number of total physical volumes
          Software used to catalog and manage the collection
          number of staff
          Professional librarian: on site?
          number of students served

          Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

          Jim Emdy
        • David Sale
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 19, 2008

            Dear Dan:

                        Regarding the possibility of a conference call during the LCAOM meeting, I will check with the hotel about this and get back in touch with the group.  Typically, hotels can put a conference call phone on the table in the meeting room and calls can be made in and out during the meeting, but I think this would likely be an expense to the Council, rather than to an individual school, but I will check.  The cost may not be insignificant over a 3 ½ hour period.  FYI, there will be a representative from NYCC attending the Council’s workshop on Saturday (Jason Wright).

            David

            David M. Sale

            3909 National Drive

            Suite 125

            Burtonsville, MD 20866

            Telephone:  301-476-7791

            Fax:  301-476-7792

            E-mail: executivedirector@...

            dkanaley@nycc. edu

[...]

          • Boni, Bethyn A. M.L.S.
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 20, 2008

              In the now famous words of Emily Litella,

              “Nermind.”

              :-)

              Bethyn
              Bethyn A. Boni, M.L.S., Associate Librarian, Media

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 20, 2008

                Please forgive this post; I meant to forward it, not reply, in response to a question I had asked.

                Redfaced,

                Bethyn
                Bethyn A. Boni, M.L.S., Associate Librarian, Media

                In the now famous words of Emily Litella,

                “Nermind.”

                :-)

                Bethyn
                ____________ _________ _________ _________ ___
                Bethyn A. Boni, M.L.S., Associate Librarian, Media

                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 21, 2008
                  the entire collection

                  (952) 885-5417 dshupe@nwhealth. edu

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008

                    Dear LCAOM Members:

                                This will follow-up from a previous e-mail I recently sent to the committee in response to Dan’s query below about the possibility of having a conference call phone device in the LCAOM committee room in San Francisco.  After checking with the hotel, the charges for renting a conference phone device for the committee meeting, and particularly the long distance line charges that would have to be paid by the Council (billed by the hotel) for the length of the meeting, would be beyond what the Council has budgeted for this meeting.  The hotel advises that it would be necessary for the committee and each outside caller to dial-in to a conference call vendor with an assigned number and password.  The CCAOM Executive Committee does this periodically when it meets by conference call and the charges for only an hour or so can be substantial.  LCAOM is scheduled to meet for 3 ½ hours.

                    I am sorry that we cannot do this as I realize that many schools do not send their librarians to these meetings.   At the same time, the CCAOM Yahoo Group for LCAOM members is the most active of all the CCAOM Yahoo groups and perhaps through that forum committee members can move forward on the committee’s agenda.

                    David M. Sale

                    3909 National Drive

                    Suite 125

                    Burtonsville, MD 20866

                    Telephone:  301-476-7791

                    Fax:  301-476-7792

                    E-mail: executivedirector@...

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008
                      Message
                      Hello everyone:
                      I want to thank David Sale for checking into the conference call idea.  Between now and the meeting I will try to send any questions to the LCAOM discussion list, and then read the meeting notes.  I can also send any concerns with our representative, Jason Wright.

                      p.s. Jim I still need to send you answers to the earlier library questions.  Will send that info shortly.  Dan
                      Daniel Kanaley MLS,MS,MA
                      Library Director
                      dkanaley@...

                      E-mail: executivedirector@ ccaom.org

                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 28, 2008
                        Hi Jim,

                        It looks like I will likely be able to attend the library committe portion
                        of the CCAOM meeting, although I may have to leave 1/2 hour early.
                        Thank you for sending out all the helpful emails.

                        Here is the information you asked for about our library.
                        As you will see I have a couple questions concerning the first point.

                        Number of titles: We are in-process of collecting this information. Are you
                                    including journals? And, in differentiating between this question and #
                                    of physical volumes, are you asking about series sets, etc?
                        Number of total physical volumes, including books and AV: approximately 2300
                        Software used to catalog and manage the collection: LibraryWorld
                        number of staff: 4
                        Professional librarian: on site? Yes
                        number of students served: 142

                        Thank you,
                        Mahate Osborn
                        AIMC Berkeley Librarian

                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 31, 2008

                            Hello everyone-here is the information requested: number of total physical items: 4,916; number staff: 1 FT, 3 PT; professional staff on site; yes; number of students served: 225; software used to manage collection: FileMakerPro-I do the cataloging. We don’t have a listing of titles yet. I won’t be able to attend the meeting in San Francisco but I appreciate the email connection-thanks!

                            David York, MLIS, Librarian

                            The Academy of Oriental Medicine at Austin

                            2700 West Anderson Lane, Suite 204

                            Austin , Texas   78757

                            Direct Line - (512) 492-3032

                            Ma in number - (512) 454-1188 ext. 232

                            Fax - (512) 454-7001

                            dyork@...

                            www.aoma.edu

                            Transforming Lives and Communities Through Graduate Education in Oriental Medicine

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 1 9:13 AM
                              Hello to all,
                              I will not be able to attend the meeting. Any chance that a webinar
                              (for example) could be set up? There are several who will not be
                              able to attend but are still interested.

                              Thanks to Jim for the many postings. I have found them to be very
                              helpful.

                              As for the request info. - here goes.
                              1. We do not have a research program or doctoral program here. We
                              have a masters level acupuncture and massage therapy (both Chinese
                              and Western) program.

                              2. Online journal and resource materials: I found that Association
                              of Academic and Research Libraries (ACRL) has an extensive
                              collection of suggested internet resources posted for Complementary
                              and alternative medicine. I am wanting to set up a library website,
                              within the the school's website, that can include these suggested
                              links as additional resources.

                              3. I for one am benefiting from this group collaboration.

                              4. I prefer the idea of moving on into online catalog versus the
                              unionization method. I am still trying to get approval to post the
                              catalog online.

                              5. Collection: Covers all programs offered here.
                              Approx. 1,000 titles plus journals and a small AV collection.

                              6. Catolog software, currently, is ResourceMate 2.0 (I do not
                              recommend!!)

                              7. Staff: I am solo librarian (currently a MLIS student). I also
                              double as the school's admin. assistant.

                              8. Student enrollment is 200.

                              Hope that helps!

                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 1 10:14 AM
                                thank you for your response.  I don't think we can set up such a webcast. i understand that it may not even be possible to set up some kind of conference call arrangement for some other committee due to expense.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 1 12:29 PM
                                  Hi Rebecca, Where are you located?
                                  Naomi Broering, MLS, MA, FACMI
                                  Dean of Libraries,
                                  Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
                                  San Diego, CA

                                  On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:13 AM, thorns2go <rhawthorne@...> wrote:
> [...]

                                  > Here is a suggested agenda:
                                  > 1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                                  > 2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be
                                  done
                                  > online?
                                  > 3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                                  > 4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                                  > software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                                  > 5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.
                                  > To this end, I would like each member of the group to let me know
                                  > some basic information about the library:
                                  > Number of titles
                                  > Number of total physical volumes
                                  > Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                                  > number of staff
                                  > Professional librarian: on site?
                                  > number of students served
                                  >
                                  > Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                                • Dr. Amy Kahn
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 1 3:43 PM
                                    Hi all,

                                    I have a very brief question to ask in advance of the meeting as our librarian is need of the information ASAP.  At the meeting in Portland, the group discussed at length a computer program that many of the schools were using.  The cost and usefulness of the program seemed worthy of recording.  I however cannot find my notes from the meeting.  I would very much appreciate anybody's input on this.

                                    Regards,
                                    Amy
                                    _________________________________
                                    PIHMA College & Clinic
                                    Amy E. Kahn, PhD, MBA
                                    Director of Academic Affairs
                                    602-274-1885 x3104
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 1 5:21 PM
                                      two software packages are generally discussed:
                                      cybertools is a fullservice library management package which can be quite expensive

                                      some libraries (at least 3)_ are using Libraryworld from california; easy access relatively inexpensive (365 dollars a year)  with all library management modules; report capacity is limited at low end subscription

                                      ____________ _________ _________ ___

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 1 7:41 PM
                                        THANK YOU !!!  Yes it was libraryworld that was discussed !!

                                        I very much appreciate the help.

                                        Amy

                                        "Dr. Amy Kahn" <akahn@...> wrote:
[...]

                                      • Rebecca Stansbury
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 2 8:11 AM
                                          Sorry for the confusion. I posted my comment, then realized that my school info. didn't attach to it automatically. I still don't 'get' how this yahoo group site operates!!  Anyway, for those of you who don't know me, my yahoo ID is thorns2go and my school affiliation if below.

                                          Anyone think a wiki might be an easier to function as a group? Just a thought.

                                          Rebecca Stansbury
                                          Librarian / Administrative Assistant

                                          American Institute of Alternative Medicine
                                          Columbus, OH  43229
                                          Phone: 614-825-6255  ext. 231
                                          Fax:  614-825-6279

                                        • Aileen Huang
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 2 6:17 PM
                                            Hi, Jim,

                                            I'm sorry that we can't attend meeting in April. For our Doctoral Program the major issue for the library is to access Full text of journal articles off-campus.

                                            Here is the information you requested:

                                            Number of titles: 3,858
                                            Number of total physical volumes: 5,358
                                            Software used to catalog and manage the collection: CyberTools for Libraries
                                            number of staff: two
                                            Professional librarian: one on site
                                            number of students: about 300

                                            Wish you a successful meeting!

                                            Aileen Huang, MS, L.Ac

                                            Director of the Learning Center
                                            American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                                            555 De Haro St, Suite 210
                                            San Francisco, CA 94107
                                            Tel: 415-355-1601 ext. 19
                                            Fax: 415-355-0691

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 23 2:14 PM
                                              Here is the schedule for the library committee meeting in San
                                              Francisco in april:
                                              CCAOM Meeting Information
                                              The Spring Meeting of the Council will be held
                                              April 30 - May 3, 2008 at the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco

                                              DATE TIME EVENT LOCATION
                                              Wednesday
                                              April 30, in room Spring A
                                              1:30 pm - 5:00 pm Library Committee

                                              Here is a suggested agenda:
                                              1. Impact of doctoral program decisions on library resources.
                                              2. Current awareness journal/resource materials: Can it all be done
                                              online?
                                              3. Continued efforts at cooperation and mutual assistance.
                                              4. Internet vs "Union" connections: Libraries sharing the same
                                              software, e.g. Libraryworld, can share catalog records.
                                              5. Overview of library sizes, collection, etc.

                                              If you haven't yet done so, please let me know
                                              some basic information about the library:
                                              Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals
                                              Number of total physical volumes
                                              Software used to catalog and manage the collection
                                              number of staff
                                              Professional librarian: on site?
                                              number of students served

                                              If you have additional agenda items or suggests for altering the
                                              agenda, please let me know.

                                              Hope to see many of you in San Francisco in April.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 23 2:56 PM
                                                Jim, Thanks
                                                As I wrote previously, I will attend the meeting in SF.
                                                We have three campus libraries, so our details would be different than stand alone libraries.

                                                I am curious, why do you need this information?

                                                1  The library resources are well suited for the doctoral program.  We added many materials in the past two years.
                                                2  Each library has a librarian. Two are degreed medical librarians, one an graduate student
                                                3.  We have a website with over 200 internet based resources. www.pacificcollege.eduhttp://pacificcollege.edu/library/index.html
                                                4. We have an Internet based system.  Cybertoolsforlibraries, an integrated system that has multiple catalog capabilities for union access.
                                                5.Total Resources of the three libraries are generally between 25,000 to 30,000, titles of books, journals, media, software, research materials, etc.
                                                Library space and computer labs are sufficient, about 2500 sq ft. in SD, NY. I do not have sq ft of Chicago.

                                                I will bring some information about Cybertools and will be happy to address any union catalog questions the group may have.

                                                Naomi

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 24 5:18 PM
                                                    Thought I'd give some of the informatin for PIHMA...

                                                    Number of titles, all topics; includes A/V and periodicals:  3500
                                                    Number of total physical volumes:  2900
                                                    Software used to catalog and manage the collection: Surpass
                                                    number of staff: 2
                                                    Professional librarian: Yes on site? Part-time
                                                    number of students served:  125

[...]

                                                    602-274-1885 x104
                                                  • Linda Moore
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 25 2:31 PM

                                                      I won’t be able to make the San Francisco meeting.   Will there be minutes of the meeting available?

                                                      Thanks for your help!

                                                      Linda

                                                      Emperor’s College of T.O.M. Librarian

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Apr 25 2:51 PM

                                                        Forgot to mention, Emperor’s College has about 600 Serials (includes electronic and printed), 3,000 physical volumes of Books and 300 Audio-Visuals.   280 students are served, both Master’s and Doctoral Programs, and 1 part-time professional Librarian (20 hours per week) on site, 4 Student Assistants, 1 Bookstore/Library Manager.   Currently, LibraryThing is used as Library cataloging software, but we plan to move to LibraryWorld sometime this summer.

                                                        Linda