RE: [ccaomlcaom] ALUMNI LIBRARY BORROWING PRIVILEGES/LIBRARY SOFTWARE/SECURITY SYSTEMS

  • Marcia Boland
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008

      We also use libraryworld.com also and we have been very happy with it. For the price you can’t beat it.

      If anyone else is using library world, you can add our catalog to your union by going to Settings, Union List, and adding “EWC Library” for the East West College of Natural Medicine.

      Marcia Boland

      Librarian/Academic Assistant

      East West College of Natural Medicine

      3803 N. Tamiami Trail

      Sarasota, FL 34234

      (941) 355-9080 Ext.104

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
        HI Linda,
        I looked at several systems years ago and concluded that Cybertools was the best because it gave us so many advantages and their services are excellent.  Some of the tiny Libraries of oriental medicine are opting for the "el cheapo" appraoch, but when it come stoyour acatalog and circualtion system you should really go for the best.  Cybetools follows all the library accepted standards of cractice.  You can do online cataloging and import records from LC, NLM and OCLC into yur catalog, besides it is all internet based and people can access it from anywhere.

        If you have the money for CINAHL which I believe is around $8,000 per year,(is this ture), I woulld thinkyour insitutuion can give you the money for Cybertools, which is ocnsiderably less and a solid investment in doing it the correct way at your library.  There are of course, other bigger systems like SirSi and INnovative whihc hospitals get, but that is out of our league budget wise.

        I did speak ot someone who abandoned Libraryworld and went with Cybertools because it just wasn't giving them what the needed.

        That is all I know about the less expensive systems.Hope this helps.

        Incidentaly, with the internet capabilities, CCAOM libraries do not need a Union Catalog.  All we need to do is put the libraries and the links ot their catalogs on our Library webpage.
        A Union Catalog is passe, it went out with the hoola hoop.  The group needs to realize that.  None of the Big Medical Libraries go that route any longer.  That was the way it was done in the 1980s and we are in 2008 now.  I do not know who has been preaching this but the person needs some update information.

        Naomi

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
          the collection contains approximately 3600 individual titles and around 5600 total physical volumes or items.