ALUMNI LIBRARY BORROWING PRIVILEGES/LIBRARY SOFTWARE/SECURITY SYSTEMS

  • lindaamoore7777
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
      Thanks to everyone who responded to my question! I really appreciate
      it and there were many good ideas!

      I think for the present, I shall continue to let Alumni use the
      Library, but not be able to check out materials, since our Library is
      small and we would run the risk of losing materials and not be able to
      replace them. The final decision will be decided by our Library
      Committee, but this would be my recommendation.

      I have one more question for you. I am in the process of deciding
      which Library Software system would be best for us at Emperors. We
      have about 3,000 items in our collection, some AVs, and I've been
      looking at LibraryWorld and Cybertools. I'm not sure if I can justify
      the expense of Cybertools right now, although I do like it very much.
      Which system would be the best to have, if we have a Union Catalog
      together eventually? Also, is there a Security system that you could
      recommend that might complement one of the Library software systems.

      Thanks for all of your wonderful advice!

      Linda Moore, M.L.S.
      Emperors College of Traditional Oriental Medicine
      linda@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
        at fivebranches university we use libraryworld.net, an internet based software provider.  the system is adequate for cateloging, serials and circulations modules, has limited report capability(we have the low end price at 365 per year). more expensive versions have more report facility.  other libraries are using a more expensive system called cyberworld.. you can look at both of these systems by googling these system terms.

        jim emd

        lindaamoore7777 <linda@...> wrote:
[...]

        linda@emperors. edu

      • Linda Moore
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008

          Thanks Jim!   Those are the 2 we are looking at and LibraryWorld seems to meet our needs too.   May I ask you how large your collection is?   I have about 3,000 volumes in Emperors.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008

            We also use libraryworld.com also and we have been very happy with it. For the price you can’t beat it.

            If anyone else is using library world, you can add our catalog to your union by going to Settings, Union List, and adding “EWC Library” for the East West College of Natural Medicine.

            Marcia Boland

            Librarian/Academic Assistant

            East West College of Natural Medicine

            3803 N. Tamiami Trail

            Sarasota, FL 34234

            (941) 355-9080 Ext.104

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
              HI Linda,
              I looked at several systems years ago and concluded that Cybertools was the best because it gave us so many advantages and their services are excellent.  Some of the tiny Libraries of oriental medicine are opting for the "el cheapo" appraoch, but when it come stoyour acatalog and circualtion system you should really go for the best.  Cybetools follows all the library accepted standards of cractice.  You can do online cataloging and import records from LC, NLM and OCLC into yur catalog, besides it is all internet based and people can access it from anywhere.

              If you have the money for CINAHL which I believe is around $8,000 per year,(is this ture), I woulld thinkyour insitutuion can give you the money for Cybertools, which is ocnsiderably less and a solid investment in doing it the correct way at your library.  There are of course, other bigger systems like SirSi and INnovative whihc hospitals get, but that is out of our league budget wise.

              I did speak ot someone who abandoned Libraryworld and went with Cybertools because it just wasn't giving them what the needed.

              That is all I know about the less expensive systems.Hope this helps.

              Incidentaly, with the internet capabilities, CCAOM libraries do not need a Union Catalog.  All we need to do is put the libraries and the links ot their catalogs on our Library webpage.
              A Union Catalog is passe, it went out with the hoola hoop.  The group needs to realize that.  None of the Big Medical Libraries go that route any longer.  That was the way it was done in the 1980s and we are in 2008 now.  I do not know who has been preaching this but the person needs some update information.

              Naomi

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
                the collection contains approximately 3600 individual titles and around 5600 total physical volumes or items.