433RE: [ccaomlcaom] accreditation

  • Rick Severson
    Feb 24, 2012

      I agree with Bethyn.  To rely upon surveys for assessment is a step backwards in the accreditation arena I think.  We need outcomes that are more objectively measurable, but tied to the curricula, not to the old “input” statistics (how many books, etc.).  That is the direction that regional accreditors are moving toward, and libraries are expected to follow in that direction.  Rick Severson, National College of Natural Medicine

      From: ccaomlcaom@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ccaomlcaom@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Boni, Bethyn A. M.L.S.
      Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 5:37 AM
      To: ccaomlcaom@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [ccaomlcaom] accreditation

      number of physical texts relevant to the program

      I request that we try to educate the accreditors to stop requiring libraries to have “numbers” of volumes.  Just because a library has 100 or 1000 volumes doesn’t make them a good library- what if the items are old, out-dated, and no longer relate to current course work? Honestly, to make numbers, libraries could just buy anything and everything remotely related to TCM - but that won’t make the items relevant or of value to the education of our students.  For about $1500.00 I could get 100 paperbacks from Amazon related to TCM, but are they really what we need?

      To ask students if the library has enough “number of physical texts relevant to the program “ - it might be “no” every time if a library does not have a policy on whether or not textbooks are purchased by the library and the use of these materials (in-house reserve, limited circulation, etc.)

      I believe it is a quality vs. quantity issue.  It might be better to use language that addresses a library’s ability to provide access to all material needed on a timely basis, and that the materials support the current curriculum.  It would be be tter to show high use for materials that support the curriculum, than to have 1000 texts, of which only 10% circulate and the rest are just to “make numbers.”

      Thank you,

      Bethyn A. Boni, M.L.S., Library Director