318Re: [ccaomlcaom] Consortium Considerations: Request for Information from Libraries

    Mar 18, 2011
      I cannot open the file you sent.  Can you send it in another format?

      On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Jenn Hartman <jhartman@...> wrote:

      -----Original Message-----
      From: ccaomlcaom@yahoogroups.com on behalf of maha
      Sent: Tue 3/15/2011 8:12 AM
      To: ccaomlcaom@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ccaomlcaom] Consortium Considerations: Request for Information from Libraries

      LCCAOM Members,

      As part of our preparation for the upcoming  meeting in Baltimore, we'd
      like to get a sense of what the needs are of  smaller libraries (which
      most of us are) and how we can integrate those  needs into a larger
      consortium framework.

      A consortium of  participating libraries has the potential to enhance
      local access to a  wide variety of print and electronic resources and
      services that would  otherwise be beyond their individual means. This
      kind of sharing could  allow collaboration toward development and
      standardization of many  programs and systems that currently may be
      unwieldy, if offered at all,  by smaller libraries with limited

      Some possibilities for sharing include:

      . Print resources sharing
      . Electronic resources sharing and licensing
      . Shared online catalogs
      . Online services such as information literacy modules
      . Enhanced interlibrary loan and document delivery systems
      . Standardized (or at least cooperative) cataloging structures
      . Eventual alliances with larger colleges and Universities with
      specialized collections
      . Mutual training programs

      Some  issues that need to be addressed are how we will structure the
      consortial systems, programs, and organization, how many libraries will
      participate and how they will benefit,
      what the mission of the  consortium will be, legal agreements, fee
      structures, and how long  initial agreements will last. There are many
      options for all of the  above, as to be determined by those libraries
      wishing to take part. Also  to be determined will be most appropriate
      method of communication,  decision making, and access to information
      (i.e., websites, daily  e-lists, committees, etc). We also need to
      ascertain whether there are  consortial options for small libraries that
      will be sustainable over  time, both in human power and financial

      Possibilities  include informal or formal arrangements, and local or
      more extended  networks, depending on the needs of participating

      I am writing today to recruit ideas from all individual libraries about
      the following four points:

      1. How you think your library can benefit from a consortial arrangement,
      2. What you think your library can offer a larger group and
      institutions, and
      3. How you see LCCAOM libraries participating together toward effective
      resource and services sharing.
      4. Please also include your thoughts on what challenges you see in
      becoming part of a consortium.

      I  will consolidate all responses into a document for use at the
      meeting,  so a timely response (by the end of March) would be

      Thank you,

      Mahate Osborn, AIMC Berkeley Library Director