230Re: [ccaomlcaom] Minutesof October meeting 2009 in Idaho

    Nov 17, 2009
      Dear Jim and LCAOM members,
      Some good news.  I am writing in regard to the continual discussion and furstration about Indexing terms and cataloging of Oriental Medicine topics listed below from the Idaho meeting minutes..

      1. Discussion of subject headings relevant to OM which are not systematically or consistently covered in standard cataloging sources. Examples: five elements; Medicine, Chinese-Tibet OR Medicine, Tibetan.

      Action: reminder of a file for LCAOM users in the group under "headings"

      Action: further survey of cataloging librarians to explore establishing recommended subject headings for unique OM topics.

      This weekend I had an opportunity to speak to the Director of the National Library of Medicine and to the head of the Medical Subject Headings at the NLM, about our concerns that the Cataloging subject headings do not meet the needs of Oriental Medicine topics.

      They are willing and interested in looking at our needs.  Dr. Stuart Nelson (MeSH) suggested we consider the Thesaurus of Chinese Medicine.  Dr Lindberg, Dir NLM, said if we organize and forward our needs they would be willing to look at incorporating these terms in the MeSH vocabulary.  This is a wonderful opportunity for us to make some progress with the National Library of Medicine.  I know that many of us use LC for cataloging, but we also add the MeSH terms in the bibliographic record.

      Dr. Nelson is going to send me the ISBN for the Thesaurus, so I can take a look at it.  I also ordered a copy of the International Nomenclature book.
       Of course,if anything is doen, it would not happen overnite, it would be incrementally handled.

      Another knowledgeable person I spoke to is Dr Kent Spackman,Director of Terminology for the International Health Terminology Standards Development Organization database.  When he was in China last year he became familiar with the issue we face.

      Everyone agreed that it is best to incorporate the terms into an existing national system rather than consider building our own. A national system such as the NLM MeSH would be maintained, and we, as a small group of librarians, do not have the resources or staff to do this. With NLM involved we would also have a chance to get cooperation or collaboration from the Library of Congress too.

      Let me know if I should continue to pursue this on behalf ot the LCAOM librarians.

      On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 8:47 PM, jimemdy <jimemdy@...> wrote:
      Here are the minutes of the October 21st 2009 meeting of LCAOM in Idaho.

      1. Discussion of subject headings relevant to OM which are not systematically or consistently covered in standard cataloging sources. Examples: five elements; Medicine, Chinese-Tibet OR Medicine, Tibetan.

      Action: reminder of a file for LCAOM users in the group under "headings"

      Action: further survey of cataloging librarians to explore establishing recommended subject headings for unique OM topics.

      2. Library role in institutional literature competency.  General feeling that libaries are central to overall goals of the institutions and without robust libraries the DAOM will not be possible.  Libraries should be regarded and supported for a variety of learning, teachng and research capabilities beyond maintaining a valid collection of materials. Perhaps libraries should be termed " Learning Centers" or something like that.  Libraries should be integrated into the development of curriculum decisions and research needs in an organic way.  Currently there are serious problems in communication between libraries and academic and administrative entities.

      Action: Active recruitment of a subcommittee to work on these issues.

      3. Discussion of forming a library consortium.  General feeling that libraries must work together, particularly in times of tight budgets.  Some information on possible consortium services is found in the files section of this yahoo usergroup.

      Action: Active recruitment of a subcommittee to seriously work on formation of a cooperative consortium.

      The chair of the committee will serve on these committees and is willing to coordinate group efforts. Ter Powers at AIMC is already on board for the consortium subcommittee.

      There was consensus that it is time for libraries to become a more active part of the overall AOM mission and it is hoped that vigorous efforts by the group and subcommittees in cooperation with other elements of the teaching institutions will yield results.

      4. It has been the case for some time that a majority of library personnel cannot make it to the semiannual meetings, due primarily to coast considerations.  Some kind of conference call meeting or skype connection should be explored.

      Action: It was decided to develop some kind of conference call meeting to get wider participation regarding the pressing issues of OM instruction in these days.  The conference would be held at a time which would not discourage individuals from attending semiannual meetings in person.

      Submitted 10/22/2009
      Jim Emdy
      Chair