FCW->SVG XP Alpha 1 Release

  • BC Holmes
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14 8:11 PM
      Hi,

      Per my previous email, I finally got my XP working. It certainly
      doesn't handle everything correctly, but I'd consider it an unstable
      alpha version.

      Here are some of the things that it doesn't yet support:

      1. Raster images of any kind
      2. Fill styles, other than standard solid fills
      3. Text placement is a little bit off, and no real Font support
      4. Special effects like shadows or glows
      5. Limited support for sheets and no support for layers
      6. Line styles (e.g. dashed lines)

      I think it does a pretty good job of:

      1. Symbols and symbol usage
      2. Most items you'd expect to see in a vector diagram
      3. Multipolys and Splines

      In general, it supports CC2 diagrams better than CC3 diagrams -- I've
      certainly had a lot more examples to test with that were created with CC2.

      I'd certainly welcome an alpha tester or two who was interested in
      giving the first version a whirl. Obviously, at this point, I can't
      promise that it'll produce good results. I'm 90% sure that it won't
      crash your system, but obviously that's not 100%.

      If you're interested, I've uploaded the XP DLL to my web site, here:

      http://bcholmes.org/FcwToSvg/Fcw2Svg-alpha1.zip

      This zip file contains a DLL that you can drop into your ProFantasy/CC3
      directory. (AFTER YOU RUN A VIRUS SCAN ON IT BECAUSE, HEY, YOU DON'T
      KNOW ME FROM ADAM!)

      The plugin can be activated by running SAVEAS from the CC3 command
      prompt -- sadly, it does not appear to be available if you use the File
      menu's "Save As..." option. The save dialog should have an SVG option.
      On the machine I was testing with, the save seemed to take about 4
      seconds for the diagrams I tested.

      I should have some more features added in in a few days.

      BCing you
      --
      B.C. Holmes \u2625 http://www.bcholmes.org/
      "All my life I've wanted to be somebody; I guess I should've been
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 15 4:37 AM
        I gave this a quick test, and it produced some nice results.
        Obviously, it has the issues you already mentioned, but I noticed a
        few things:

        1. Size: Stuff that aren't village sized or larger comes out
        ridiculously small. Even with the max zoom in firefox, I was barely
        able to make out the features. IE allowed me to zoom a bit more

        2. Aligned hatch fills. I did a few tests with perspectives drawings,
        and while the hatch fills that lays flat (on the ground and top of
        walls) worked perfectly fine, the same fill styles when angled to fit
        the walls did not. (See http://home.broadpark.no/~cc3/inn.SVG [35MB]
        (Remember to zoom in) - PNG from original map:
        http://home.broadpark.no/~cc3/inn.PNG )
        Note that the server does not serve the correct content type for svg
        files, so you might need to download it rather than view it directly
        in your browser from the site.

        > The plugin can be activated by running SAVEAS from the CC3 command
        > prompt -- sadly, it does not appear to be available if you use the File
        > menu's "Save As..." option. The save dialog should have an SVG option.
        I believe that this is because the Save As command from the menu isn't
        really the save as dialog at all, it is the export dialog, and it has
        it's own list of file type filters.

        --
        Remy Monsen

        On 15 April 2012 05:11, BC Holmes <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Per my previous email, I finally got my XP working.  It certainly
        > doesn't handle everything correctly, but I'd consider it an unstable
        > alpha version.
        >
        > Here are some of the things that it doesn't yet support:
        >
        > 1. Raster images of any kind
        > 2. Fill styles, other than standard solid fills
        > 3. Text placement is a little bit off, and no real Font support
        > 4. Special effects like shadows or glows
        > 5. Limited support for sheets and no support for layers
        > 6. Line styles (e.g. dashed lines)
        >
        > I think it does a pretty good job of:
        >
        > 1. Symbols and symbol usage
        > 2. Most items you'd expect to see in a vector diagram
        > 3. Multipolys and Splines
        >
        > In general, it supports CC2 diagrams better than CC3 diagrams -- I've
        > certainly had a lot more examples to test with that were created with CC2.
        >

        > I'd certainly welcome an alpha tester or two who was interested in
        > giving the first version a whirl.  Obviously, at this point, I can't
        > promise that it'll produce good results.  I'm 90% sure that it won't
        > crash your system, but obviously that's not 100%.
        >
        > If you're interested, I've uploaded the XP DLL to my web site, here:
        >
        > http://bcholmes.org/FcwToSvg/Fcw2Svg-alpha1.zip
        >
        > This zip file contains a DLL that you can drop into your ProFantasy/CC3
        > directory.  (AFTER YOU RUN A VIRUS SCAN ON IT BECAUSE, HEY, YOU DON'T
        > KNOW ME FROM ADAM!)
        >
        > The plugin can be activated by running SAVEAS from the CC3 command
        > prompt -- sadly, it does not appear to be available if you use the File
        > menu's "Save As..." option.  The save dialog should have an SVG option.
        >  On the machine I was testing with, the save seemed to take about 4
        > seconds for the diagrams I tested.
        >
        > I should have some more features added in in a few days.
        >
        > BCing you
        > --
        > B.C. Holmes             \u2625                http://www.bcholmes.org/
        > "All my life I've wanted to be somebody; I guess I should've been
        >  more specific." -- Lily Tomlin

      • BC Holmes
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 15 5:49 AM
          On 12-04-15 7:37 AM, Remy Monsen wrote:
          > I gave this a quick test, and it produced some nice results.
          > Obviously, it has the issues you already mentioned, but I noticed a
          > few things:

          Hey, thanks for the fast feed-back!

          > 1. Size: Stuff that aren't village sized or larger comes out
          > ridiculously small. Even with the max zoom in firefox, I was barely
          > able to make out the features. IE allowed me to zoom a bit more

          A good point. I've certainly had a number of diagrams that I've zoomed
          in on a lot in Inkscape. But if you want to easily host a diagram on a
          web site, it'd be good to have a more accessible size.

          > 2. Aligned hatch fills. I did a few tests with perspectives drawings,
          > and while the hatch fills that lays flat (on the ground and top of
          > walls) worked perfectly fine, the same fill styles when angled to fit
          > the walls did not.

          I'll look in to it.

          BCing you
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 16 6:02 AM
            Hi, BC,

            Whenever you are ready, I can put this out to the beta list for wider
            testing.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 16 3:04 PM
              On 12-04-16 9:02 AM, Simon Rogers wrote:

              > Whenever you are ready, I can put this out to the beta list for wider
              > testing.

              Thanks, Simon. That's a great offer. But I think I'll try one or two
              more alpha versions (I think I can have some new features in a coupl'a
              days).

              Once I have something that I think is ready for beta testing, I'll label
              the file "beta".

              BCing you