RE: [cc2-dev-l] Multipolys and order

  • John
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2012
      I suspect both are leaking Multipoly, meaning you have some error in your
      construction.

      No reason to use Multipoly for the back ground, I would kill that and use a
      Square/Rectangle

      For the Cartouche is definitely a leaking Polygon... You have double
      entities somewhere or double points. Generally, the error points to where
      the problem is.

      This is a bit old and not updated, but comes from old Command of the Week
      series. You may find it helpful. I need to update it, but most everything
      still applies.

      Command of the Week, Multi-poly

      First Rule: Always make sure all the Entities that you are going to
      Multipoly are on the same Layer and on the Layer on which you want the Final
      Entity.

      Second Rule: Never Copy a Multipoly. You can have 100 Copies of the
      Multipoly, but if you explode them all you will end up with 100 duplicate
      Entities that made up the original Multipoly. Talk about editing Nightmares.
      Take from me who has experienced this problem, you do not want to have to
      deal with this!

      Third Rule: Multipoly Copies of the original Entities on a new Layer instead
      of Copying the Multipoly itself. This is due to the problem that can result
      from Copies of a Multipoly. Always leave the Coastlines as the Original
      Entities and Copy those Original Entities to a new Layers before applying
      the Multipoly Command. This maintains the Original Entities as a references,
      should you have a problem down the road. The only exception to this rule is
      if you know you are not going to need more than one entity. This is a rare
      situation, since most times you need an Outline.

      Forth Rule: Do NOT use Outline Command on a Multipoly. It will work, but I
      find it gets in the way if you have to edit the Multipoly. It is better to
      have Copies of the Entities that make up the Multipoly on a different Layer
      for use as the Outline.

      Fifth Rule: Learn to use the Back and Front Commands. Copies of Entities
      always are in front of the Original. When you make Copies of several
      Entities to a New Layer they will be in Front of all other Entities at that
      time. If you want the Original to be in Front you will have to Front by
      using the Layer Option to bring the Original to the Front.

      Sixth Rule: NEVER try to Multipoly Smoothed Entities that have been trimmed.
      This will guarantee you a leaking Multipoly. Instead of Trims try using the
      Node Editing Tools (Move, Delete, Add). If you must Trim use Edit to make
      the Entities have No Smoothing, Trim these and then turn Smoothing back on
      before applying Multipoly to all the parts.

      A few traits of the Multipoly Tool and a completed Multipoly.

      1: The current Color, Fill Style, Line Style, Line Width, etc.. will be the
      Color, Fill, Line, etc... of the Multipoly regardless what Color, Fill,
      Line, etc... the Entities were when you started.

      2: If you want a Multipoly Hollow Fill, you need to have the outline Box
      checked in the Fill Style Dialog for the Multipoly to be visible.

      3: All Entities will revert to the Color, Fill, Line, etc... when the
      Multipoly is Exploded, regardless what changes were made to the Multipoly
      after it was created. (This is part of the reason you do not want to Move a
      Multipoly to different Layers.)

      Multipoly is a Powerful Tool and can make quick work of many complex shapes.
      There are other ways to get many different Entities to become a fillable
      Poly, but only Multipoly allows you the ability to make a Fill treat two or
      more unconnected Entities as one. (Square Fill for Dungeon Floors and Land
      and offshore islands are the most common Examples.)

      John

      http://www.nightsaroundthetable.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2012
        On 12-03-06 3:22 PM, Peter Olsson wrote:

        > You are not missing anything in the file format. The entities are in any
        > order.

        Thanks for the confirmation, even if it's the sad-making answer :)

        BCing you
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2012
          Oh, hey, this is strange. This email only just got delivered to me
          today, even though it's dated last Tuesday.

          On 12-03-06 7:43 AM, John wrote:
          > I suspect both are leaking Multipoly, meaning you have some error in your
          > construction.

          Oh, I wouldn't put it past me! But, conveniently, once I put in an
          algorithm to match end points, I got much better results.

          > No reason to use Multipoly for the back ground, I would kill that and use a
          > Square/Rectangle

          I hear what you're saying, but this is a case where I'm trying to
          process the file format as-is, rather than change the original source.
          The original file used a multipoly for the background -- I'm just trying
          to correctly interpret it.

          > This is a bit old and not updated, but comes from old Command of the Week
          > series. You may find it helpful. I need to update it, but most everything
          > still applies.

          It was tremendously helpful! Thanks a lot!

          BCing you
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 15, 2012
            If you want to send me the file, you can

            (Web Master link at Nightsaroundthetable.com)

            I am pretty good at finding them and I will give you step by step on how I
            found them and show you where they are so you can find them on your own in
            the future.

            The message was delayed, because I have not posted in over a year... I do
            not get to map in CC that much anymore and time seems short for following up
            on mail lists and forums