Multipolys and order

  • BC Holmes
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012
      Hey folks!

      I continue to have a lot of success making sense of the FCW file format.
      Last night, I was working on multipolys. A lot has come together, but
      a few things still need work. Here's an example of some multipolys that
      aren't quite behaving:

      PNG -> http://bcholmes.org/maps/Laxton%20Abbey.png

      SVG -> http://bcholmes.org/maps/Laxton%20Abbey.svg

      Based on this map, here:

      http://www.profantasy.com/library/default.asp?Keyword=laxton&PP=9&Start=1&Image=0&OrderBy=

      There are two badly-formatted items, here. First, the green background
      doesn't completely fill in (it ends up looking like a green triangle).
      Second, the cartouche in the lower right hand corner isn't filled.

      I think both problems relate to building the multipoly path. Currently,
      I somewhat simplisticly attach each new path element in the order in
      which I find it. In the case of the green background, the end result
      should be a rectangle, but the line segments aren't in the best order.

      In essence, my converter draws the bottom of the rectange, left to
      right, then moves to the top line, right to left then down, then finally
      moves to the right-most line and draws it upward.

      I'm sure that I can figure out an algorithm to find the best order for
      the path parts, but I was wondering if there's any clues in the file
      format that I haven't yet noticed.

      One of the other things I sometimes see is that line segments are
      described "backwards" -- that is, for the purposes of finding the best
      "join", it would be a lot easier if the line were described in the
      opposite direction. Again, not an insurmountable problem.

      BCing you
      --
      B.C. Holmes \u2625 http://www.bcholmes.org/
      "All my life I've wanted to be somebody; I guess I should've been
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2012
        I suspect both are leaking Multipoly, meaning you have some error in your
        construction.

        No reason to use Multipoly for the back ground, I would kill that and use a
        Square/Rectangle

        For the Cartouche is definitely a leaking Polygon... You have double
        entities somewhere or double points. Generally, the error points to where
        the problem is.

        This is a bit old and not updated, but comes from old Command of the Week
        series. You may find it helpful. I need to update it, but most everything
        still applies.

        Command of the Week, Multi-poly

        First Rule: Always make sure all the Entities that you are going to
        Multipoly are on the same Layer and on the Layer on which you want the Final
        Entity.

        Second Rule: Never Copy a Multipoly. You can have 100 Copies of the
        Multipoly, but if you explode them all you will end up with 100 duplicate
        Entities that made up the original Multipoly. Talk about editing Nightmares.
        Take from me who has experienced this problem, you do not want to have to
        deal with this!

        Third Rule: Multipoly Copies of the original Entities on a new Layer instead
        of Copying the Multipoly itself. This is due to the problem that can result
        from Copies of a Multipoly. Always leave the Coastlines as the Original
        Entities and Copy those Original Entities to a new Layers before applying
        the Multipoly Command. This maintains the Original Entities as a references,
        should you have a problem down the road. The only exception to this rule is
        if you know you are not going to need more than one entity. This is a rare
        situation, since most times you need an Outline.

        Forth Rule: Do NOT use Outline Command on a Multipoly. It will work, but I
        find it gets in the way if you have to edit the Multipoly. It is better to
        have Copies of the Entities that make up the Multipoly on a different Layer
        for use as the Outline.

        Fifth Rule: Learn to use the Back and Front Commands. Copies of Entities
        always are in front of the Original. When you make Copies of several
        Entities to a New Layer they will be in Front of all other Entities at that
        time. If you want the Original to be in Front you will have to Front by
        using the Layer Option to bring the Original to the Front.

        Sixth Rule: NEVER try to Multipoly Smoothed Entities that have been trimmed.
        This will guarantee you a leaking Multipoly. Instead of Trims try using the
        Node Editing Tools (Move, Delete, Add). If you must Trim use Edit to make
        the Entities have No Smoothing, Trim these and then turn Smoothing back on
        before applying Multipoly to all the parts.

        A few traits of the Multipoly Tool and a completed Multipoly.

        1: The current Color, Fill Style, Line Style, Line Width, etc.. will be the
        Color, Fill, Line, etc... of the Multipoly regardless what Color, Fill,
        Line, etc... the Entities were when you started.

        2: If you want a Multipoly Hollow Fill, you need to have the outline Box
        checked in the Fill Style Dialog for the Multipoly to be visible.

        3: All Entities will revert to the Color, Fill, Line, etc... when the
        Multipoly is Exploded, regardless what changes were made to the Multipoly
        after it was created. (This is part of the reason you do not want to Move a
        Multipoly to different Layers.)

        Multipoly is a Powerful Tool and can make quick work of many complex shapes.
        There are other ways to get many different Entities to become a fillable
        Poly, but only Multipoly allows you the ability to make a Fill treat two or
        more unconnected Entities as one. (Square Fill for Dungeon Floors and Land
        and offshore islands are the most common Examples.)

        John

        http://www.nightsaroundthetable.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6, 2012

          Hi

          I have never tried to duplicate the multipoly algorithm. I know Mike Riddle once said that it was some really clever logic behind multipolys that allowed it to be in any order and still draw fast.

          You are not missing anything in the file format. The entities are in any order.

          Peter

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2012
            On 12-03-06 3:22 PM, Peter Olsson wrote:

            > You are not missing anything in the file format. The entities are in any
            > order.

            Thanks for the confirmation, even if it's the sad-making answer :)

            BCing you
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11, 2012
              Oh, hey, this is strange. This email only just got delivered to me
              today, even though it's dated last Tuesday.

              On 12-03-06 7:43 AM, John wrote:
              > I suspect both are leaking Multipoly, meaning you have some error in your
              > construction.

              Oh, I wouldn't put it past me! But, conveniently, once I put in an
              algorithm to match end points, I got much better results.

              > No reason to use Multipoly for the back ground, I would kill that and use a
              > Square/Rectangle

              I hear what you're saying, but this is a case where I'm trying to
              process the file format as-is, rather than change the original source.
              The original file used a multipoly for the background -- I'm just trying
              to correctly interpret it.

              > This is a bit old and not updated, but comes from old Command of the Week
              > series. You may find it helpful. I need to update it, but most everything
              > still applies.

              It was tremendously helpful! Thanks a lot!

              BCing you
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 15, 2012
                If you want to send me the file, you can

                (Web Master link at Nightsaroundthetable.com)

                I am pretty good at finding them and I will give you step by step on how I
                found them and show you where they are so you can find them on your own in
                the future.

                The message was delayed, because I have not posted in over a year... I do
                not get to map in CC that much anymore and time seems short for following up
                on mail lists and forums