Iron python as a scripting language??

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5 10:59 AM
      A long time ago (2003) there was a HUGE conversation about adding a new scripting language to CC3 (then it was CC2).

      Here is a link:

      Even though I am up to my neck working on the "Map Invoker" project, I thought I would brink this up to the list. Awhile ago, I took some time off of "Map Invoker" and worked up a demo/test project to see if I could integrate one of Microsoft's new scripting languages (IronPython) with CC3.

      Well, my little test worked. I got just enough done to be able to get data requests that return a point and to be able to dynamically add paths. Much more work needs to be done, but if completed, users would be able to write using notepad simple python script text files that can do nearly anything that normally needs to be written in a C/C++ XP addon.

      So, is anyone interested in helping with this project? (develop or test)

      All the dlls go in the root cc3 folder and the python scripts go in a "scripts" folder. I will warn you though, the cc3xp dll will pop up a console window as well (a debugging tool) to get rid of it, just delete the cc3xp.dll file when you are done trying this out.
    • Remy Monsen
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5 11:31 AM
        On 5 May 2011 19:59, Larry <saunderl@...> wrote:

        > So, is anyone interested in helping with this project? (develop or test)

        Sounds interesting. I'll be happy to help out with testing. I don't
        have enough time right now to get involved in development
        unfortunately.
      • Larry
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5 4:19 PM
          This is sad. I cannot compose a simple email without leaving info out.

          These are the included example scripts:
          bluepoly - select a polygon and it turns it blue
          box - select a point and it draws a green box
          diamond - select a point and it draws a diamond in the current color

          Here is what you need to do to run the three included scripts:
          First, you type in PYTHON. It then asks what script you want to run. If you type in "BOX" it will go to the CC3/scripts directory and look for the file box.py. If it finds it, it will run the python code inside it.
        • Remy Monsen
          Message 4 of 14 , May 6 2:23 AM
            When I try starting CC3 after copying the files i get an error message:

            Error 0000036B1 loading XP module:
                cc3xp.dll

            Initially, the error message read 00000007E, and popped up for every single of your .dll files, but after installing the .net framwork 4, those went away, and I now only get the single error message above. Obviously the python command doesn't work since it couldn't load the XP .dll

            Message 5 of 14 , May 6 3:08 AM
              For testing, feel free to use the Raster list, too.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 6 3:43 PM

                Hey Remmy,

                That is weird.  This was completely written using the 3.5 .net framework.  So, the error is probably now saying its the wrong framework version.

                L. Lee Saunders

                "It was only a partial solution, of course, as solutions usually are, and addressed only one specific problem, as solutions usually do. But, as was often also true, it opened the door—if only a crack—for the multitude of solutions to follow."
                1632 - Eric Flint

                my blog: http://oldschooldotnet.blogspot.com
                Taking Dot Net "Old School" - Playing with old ideas/concepts using the newest tools!

                To: cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 14 , May 6 4:42 PM
                  Installing the 3.5 framework didn't help. That was actually one of the first thing I did. First, I got the 7E message on each and every file, then i installed .net 4, which removed the errors on all the files, except for cc3xp.dll, which threw the 36B1 error message. I then tried installing .net 3.5, but that didn't change the (or remove) the error message.
                  Looking at add/remove programs, I seem to have almost about every .net framework installed (2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1, 4.0 Extended & Client Profile)

                  Note that I am testing it on a rather clean WinXP computer, so if there are any other prerequisites other than what CC3 (with the latest update) requires, I probably don't have them.

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 6 4:52 PM
                    Ok. I tried the script on my development setup instead, which is set up to develop XP's, and there it ran just fine. Getting late here now, so I didn't have time to do anything besides testing that your 3 example scripts work (Which they did).

                    I am still trying to find out why it wouldn't run on my clean setup though. As far as I can see, I have all the .net frameworks (but not much else, besides CC3)

                    Also, for now, I am only testing it on a basic WinXP install. I am still waiting for my new HD controller before I can bring my main system properly back, bring my resources online and restore all my data (If anyone figured having 2 drives in a raid 5 go corrupt at the same time would be fun, I recommend you reconsider). Once everything is back up, I'll be able to test it under more environments.

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 8 5:07 PM
                            Hi Remmy,

                            Yep, this is definitely in Release mode (once burned on that, forever shy!)

                            This was the exact zip file that I sent to both Simon and Ralph months ago.

                            Oh, well ... we'll figure it out.

                            The big question is ... did you take a look at the script files?  If you looked, did the the python code look simpler that a standard XP?

                            BTW, sometime this week I'll be uploading the source code for this.

                            To: cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 11 2:32 PM

                                I’m glad you and I are on the same page with this.

                                Unfortunately I am at my day job putting in 70+ hours a week plus the Farm plus trying to get some headway on Map Invoker.

                                When I get time, I will upload the source code.

                                Here at work, we go into hardening (a step in our development cycle) in four weeks, and then I will have some extra time.