Re: [cc2-dev-l] Updater

  • Ken Snellings
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
      lol.  I sent this request before I even realised there was a problem going on. I guess I'm a lucky one that hadn't updated with the patch yet. :)

      Basically what I'm hoping for is a way to open a named map, draw a new hotspot at given coordinates on the a named layer, and then save the map.  All without actually loading up CC2.  Something that would work on it's own, even if the end user only has the CC2 viewer.

      Something like this would allow us to create an atlas and then keep updating it as new material comes available.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
        > If you can isolate just the raw binary entities of interest (the
        > hotspot entities, for example) from a data file then it should just
        > be a simple matter of appending the raw binary data to the new map
        > file.

        If the files are compressed it will be tricky to modify them from the
        outside. If they are in uncompressed mode it is possible.

        Are you using sheets? If you are new entities will be appended in the middle
        of the file. Otherwise you should be able to just insert your entities
        before the end-of-file marker.

        > Something that would work on it's own, even if the end user only has
        > the CC2 viewer.

        Can you use a script running in the Viewer?
        The needed commands (ACTION and SAVE) are available in the CC3 viewer.

        You can also do this from a plug-in XP. It will require a discussion with
        ProFantasy on licensing as you are not allowed to add draw and edit commands
        to the viewer.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007

          At one time Mike Riddle had a DLL (or was it a LIB) that was the core database.  You could read files, append files in the code and then save the changed files.  The renderer was what was not included.  Would it still work with the changes made in CC3?

          L. Lee Saunders

          To: cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com
          From: peter@...
          Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 19:59:50 +0200
          Subject: RE: [cc2-dev-l] Re: Updater

          > If you can isolate just the raw binary entities of interest (the
          > hotspot entities, for example) from a data file then it should just
          > be a simple matter of appending the raw binary data to the new map
          > file.

          If the files are compressed it will be tricky to modify them from the
          outside. If they are in uncompressed mode it is possible.

          Are you using sheets? If you are new entities will be appended in the middle
          of the file. Otherwise you should be able to just insert your entities
          before the end-of-file marker.

          > Something that would work on it's own, even if the end user only has
          > the CC2 viewer.

          Can you use a script running in the Viewer?
          The needed commands (ACTION and SAVE) are available in the CC3 viewer.

          You can also do this from a plug-in XP. It will require a discussion with
          ProFantasy on licensing as you are not allowed to add draw and edit commands
          to the viewer.

          Peter

          Don't get caught with egg on your face.    Play Chicktionary!
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2007
            > At one time Mike Riddle had a DLL (or was it a LIB) that was the
            > core database.  You could read files, append files in the code and
            > then save the changed files.  The renderer was what was not
            > included.  Would it still work with the changes made in CC3?

            It should. Do you still have that external toolkit?
            I remember that tool, but I can't find a copy of it anymore.