Updater

  • Ken Snellings
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hi folks.

      The Harn atlas product, built with CC2 has been released.  I'm hoping to be able to offer updates to the product, speciffically new maps and new hyperlinks.  Can anyone think of a way that I can update an end-user's map with new hotspots, and NOT wipe out any changes he or she might have made themselves?  Ideally I'd like to do this from script running outside of CC2.

      Thanks,

      Ken

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
        I'm not sure we are the right people to ask about installations at the moment!

        Simon Rogers
        http://www.profantasy.com
        Livejournal - http://sjrlj.notlong.com

        The Harn atlas product, built with CC2 has been released.  I'm hoping to be able to offer updates to the product, speciffically new maps and new hyperlinks.  Can anyone think of a way that I can update an end-user's map with new hotspots, and NOT wipe out any changes he or she might have made themselves?  Ideally I'd like to do this from script running outside of CC2.

        Thanks,

        Ken

      • waldronate
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
          --- In cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Snellings" <ken@...> wrote:

          > Hi folks.
          >
          > The Harn atlas product, built with CC2 has been released. I'm
          hoping to be able to offer updates to the product, speciffically new
          maps and new hyperlinks. Can anyone think of a way that I can update
          an end-user's map with new hotspots, and NOT wipe out any changes he
          or she might have made themselves? Ideally I'd like to do this from
          script running outside of CC2.

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Ken

          If you can isolate just the raw binary entities of interest (the
          hotspot entities, for example) from a data file then it should just
          be a simple matter of appending the raw binary data to the new map
          file. However, there is the problem of entity number to contend with,
          as having two entities with the same ID is considered bad. It's not
          fatal, though.
          The "easy" way to do this is to start with a map, save a copy, then
          make the hotspot modifications that you want in CC2 and save the
          file. The difference between the two files is then the entities of
          interest. They should be at the end of the file. I say should, but no
          guarantees.
          Once you have the two files, pull off the extra stuff from the end
          of the modified file and that's the patch to be appended to the new
          files. The operation may require a bit of software to be written, but
          it is pretty straightforward software.

          Joe Slayton
        • Ken Snellings
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
            lol.  I sent this request before I even realised there was a problem going on. I guess I'm a lucky one that hadn't updated with the patch yet. :)

            Basically what I'm hoping for is a way to open a named map, draw a new hotspot at given coordinates on the a named layer, and then save the map.  All without actually loading up CC2.  Something that would work on it's own, even if the end user only has the CC2 viewer.

            Something like this would allow us to create an atlas and then keep updating it as new material comes available.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
              > If you can isolate just the raw binary entities of interest (the
              > hotspot entities, for example) from a data file then it should just
              > be a simple matter of appending the raw binary data to the new map
              > file.

              If the files are compressed it will be tricky to modify them from the
              outside. If they are in uncompressed mode it is possible.

              Are you using sheets? If you are new entities will be appended in the middle
              of the file. Otherwise you should be able to just insert your entities
              before the end-of-file marker.

              > Something that would work on it's own, even if the end user only has
              > the CC2 viewer.

              Can you use a script running in the Viewer?
              The needed commands (ACTION and SAVE) are available in the CC3 viewer.

              You can also do this from a plug-in XP. It will require a discussion with
              ProFantasy on licensing as you are not allowed to add draw and edit commands
              to the viewer.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007

                At one time Mike Riddle had a DLL (or was it a LIB) that was the core database.  You could read files, append files in the code and then save the changed files.  The renderer was what was not included.  Would it still work with the changes made in CC3?

                L. Lee Saunders

                To: cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com
                From: peter@...
                Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 19:59:50 +0200
                Subject: RE: [cc2-dev-l] Re: Updater

                > If you can isolate just the raw binary entities of interest (the
                > hotspot entities, for example) from a data file then it should just
                > be a simple matter of appending the raw binary data to the new map
                > file.

                If the files are compressed it will be tricky to modify them from the
                outside. If they are in uncompressed mode it is possible.

                Are you using sheets? If you are new entities will be appended in the middle
                of the file. Otherwise you should be able to just insert your entities
                before the end-of-file marker.

                > Something that would work on it's own, even if the end user only has
                > the CC2 viewer.

                Can you use a script running in the Viewer?
                The needed commands (ACTION and SAVE) are available in the CC3 viewer.

                You can also do this from a plug-in XP. It will require a discussion with
                ProFantasy on licensing as you are not allowed to add draw and edit commands
                to the viewer.

                Peter

                Don't get caught with egg on your face.    Play Chicktionary!
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2007
                  > At one time Mike Riddle had a DLL (or was it a LIB) that was the
                  > core database.  You could read files, append files in the code and
                  > then save the changed files.  The renderer was what was not
                  > included.  Would it still work with the changes made in CC3?

                  It should. Do you still have that external toolkit?
                  I remember that tool, but I can't find a copy of it anymore.