Re: New XP Programming Tutorial - #4

  • dalton_spence
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
      On Sun Dec 4, 2005 6:05 pm in the cc2-l list, "L. Lee Saunders"
      <saunderl@...> wrote:
      > Everyone,

      > I've just completed my Fourth tutorial on XP development. This
      time we
      > start to play with C#! Come on over and take a look at it. I think
      you
      > will be surprised at how easy it is to integrate C# with C++.

      > http://home.alltel.net/ls15426

      > Once again, if you find any issues with any of the tutorials, just
      send and
      > email to the cc2 dev list.

      > Enjoy,
      > L. Lee Saunders

      Well, I just finished it (after completing the first three the day
      before) and thought I had a problem, but it turned out I hadn't read
      the instructions carefully enough. It worked, but one thing puzzled
      me; the C# .dll ended up in the "Release" folder and not the "Debug"
      one as predicted. Didn't seem to affect anything, but I'm curious as
      to why this happened. I'm new to Visual C++ and C# 2005 Express, and
      am unsure about things like changing the default output directory
      (which you have mentioned several times in the tutorials, making me
      wonder if there is any reason I should want to `;) ).

      I would like to make one small suggestion about tutorial one. Please
      make it a bit more clear about how big a task it is to download and
      install *all* the software needed for XP development. While it's not
      very complicated (I learned to like Wizards), it *is* time consuming
      and took me most of the day to complete. (I did other things too,
      but still wasted a lot of time watching that stupid slider creep
      slowly forward with no clear idea how long it was going to take.)
      Aside from that, I've found the tutorials clearly written and easy
      to understand, and look forward to seeing the next one.

      --

      Dalton "hoping the CC3 XP interface isn't too different" Spence
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2005
        > Dalton "hoping the CC3 XP interface isn't too different" Spence

        The CC3 interface is exactly the same. For some XP's you will need to add
        ShowChanges() in order for stuff to be displayed before ending the command.

        It is not very common. The add-ons for CC3 has a total of 44 calls to
        ShowChanges() and that is a lot of commands (some quite advanced).

        CC3 also get some new functionality with bitmaps, filters etc. See previous
        posts.

        Peter
      • Dalton Spence
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2005

          >> Dalton "hoping the CC3 XP interface isn't too different" Spence
          >
          >The CC3 interface is exactly the same. For some XP's you will need to add
          >ShowChanges() in order for stuff to be displayed before ending the command.

          >It is not very common. The add-ons for CC3 has a total of 44 calls to
          >ShowChanges() and that is a lot of commands (some quite advanced).
          >
          >CC3 also get some new functionality with bitmaps, filters etc. See previous

          >posts.
          >
          >Peter

          You don't know how relieved that makes me. I'm just getting into XP writing,
          and it's good to know the existing reference material isn't going to be obsolete
          before I get up to speed. Speaking of which, is there an XP Toolkit update a
          bit more recent than 11/21/2001?

          --

          Dalton "who used to be a pretty good programmer" Spence
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
            > Speaking of which, is there an XP Toolkit update
            > a bit more recent than 11/21/2001?

            As long as you do normal stuff with CC2 you will be ok with this toolkit.
            You have to dwell really deep before you need anything newer for CC2.

            For CC3 you will need to update even though you can do a lot of basic stuff
            with the old toolkit.