RE: [cc2-dev-l] XP comands

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
      No, we haven't found one yet. Perhaps it was my imagination.
      Simon

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 2, 2005
        Hi Simon,

        I don't think there's a command that does this in & of itself. When I have
        needed this information I open up the template or map & place an entity on
        each layer & then do LIST & save the file. From the saved text file you can
        extract the layer names in Word pretty quickly if you do a Text to Table
        thing.

        Linda

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005

          Everyone,

          I’ve just completed my Fourth tutorial on XP development.  This time we start to play with C#!  Come on over and take a look at it.  I think you will be surprised at how easy it is to integrate C# with C++.

          http://home.alltel.net/ls15426

          Once again, if you find any issues with any tutorials, just send and email to the list.

          L. Lee Saunders

        • Charles Sykora
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005
            Lee, a couple of feedback items:
            1) On the first code extract, you have entered about 4 lines of code,
            but nowhere do you tell the viewer that he must enter those lines of
            code.
            2) When you are changing the form properties, I recommend you tell the
            viewer to right-click on the form and select properties to bring up the
            property edit palette.
            3) When you are telling the location of the C# dll, you say it should
            be in the debug directory. My debug directory is empty. Maybe I did
            something wrong.
            4) When you say to move it to the directory with the cpp file, a newbie
            isn't going to know what a cpp file is maybe, and since it's dang near
            impossible to get windows to list extensions these days, you probably
            should be more explicit here.
            5) When I compile the CPP file, it says that iLength is undeclared. I
            looked at the code and cannot find the variable defined.

            I was unable to proceed past #5.
            --Dale--

            On Dec 4, 2005, at 12:46 PM, L. Lee Saunders wrote:

            > Everyone,
            >
            > I’ve just completed my Fourth tutorial on XP development.  This time
            > we start to play with C#!  Come on over and take a look at it.  I
            > think you will be surprised at how easy it is to integrate C# with
            > C++.
            >
            > http://home.alltel.net/ls15426
            >
            > Once again, if you find any issues with any tutorials, just send and
            > email to the list.
            >
            > L. Lee Saunders

            > Cc2
            > Campaign cartographer
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > ▪  Visit your group "cc2-dev-l" on the web.

            > Service.

          • Charles Sykora
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005
              I looked ahead at your code explanation and found the problem. The
              earlier text box has iLength where it should say i<s->Length.
              It works once I do this. By the way, I'm probably a rock, but I don't
              understand your use of the 'managed' and 'unmanaged' code references.

              Once you get these errors fixed, I'll post to the dev list that I
              successfully completed your tutorial. I want to see if I can there and
              on the main list encourage others to do this.

              I'm eagerly awaiting your next lesson!

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005

                Dale,

                I’ve made some changes.  Tell me what you think.

                Lee

[...]

                ?  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                ?  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .

              • Charles Sykora
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 5, 2005
                  Lee, your host must have eaten the changes. It looks the same to me.
                  --Dale--

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 5, 2005
                    Dale,

                    No, I just checked.  The changes are out there.  You may need to F5 (Refresh) the page to get the new stuff.

                    Lee

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 5, 2005
                      Lee, I am sorry but I must have failed to communicate what I thought
                      were the issues. You fixed the code problem but not the other issues.
                      Maybe you decided that my other issues don't need to be addressed, and
                      that's okay. But, just in case, here they are again if you missed
                      them:
                      1) On the second code extract (MyDialog.cs), you have entered some
                      lines of code, but nowhere do you tell the viewer that he must enter
                      those lines of code. The lines that are not in the program until you
                      insert them are the following:
                      public string InString = string.Empty;
                      public int InInt;

                      public string OutString = "Hello from C#";
                      public int OutInt = 42;

                      label1.Text = "The number from CC2: " + InInt.ToString();
                      label2.Text = "The string from CC2: " + InString;

                      2) When you are changing the form properties, I recommend you tell the
                      viewer to right-click on the form and select properties to bring up the
                      property edit palette.
                      3) When you are telling the location of the C# dll, you say it should
                      be in the debug directory. My debug directory is empty, and the dll is
                      in the level right above the directory. Maybe I did something wrong,
                      but mine works in the end.
                      4) When you say to move it to the directory with the cpp file, a newbie
                      might not know what a cpp file is, and since it's dang near impossible
                      to get windows to list file extensions these days, you probably should
                      be more explicit here.

                      --Dale--
                      P.S. Lee, I personally am deeply appreciative of your tutorials, and I
                      think it's great now that the kit for CC3 has also been partially
                      released. Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you beyond
                      testing out your tutorials.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 5, 2005

                        Dale,

                        Guess I just focused on a few of your issues.  BTW, did the description of Managed vs Unmanaged make any sense?

                        1)       I’ll describe this in the morning.

                        2)       I’ll add this as well.

                        3)       That was a copy from a previous tutorial.  I’ll explain how to determine which directory.

                        4)       I’ll elaborate on this as well.

                        Thanks Dale, as I go along, the code is getting thicker and the tutorials are getting longer.  It’s good to have you looking over my shoulder.

                        BTW, I’d also like an overall review on the tutorials in general if you could.  You know, are they too in depth, am I including too many screen shots am I taking to big of steps or to small of steps. Etc.

                        Thanks, Lee

                        Lee, I am sorry but I must have failed to communicate what I thought were the issues. You fixed the code problem but not the other issues. Maybe you decided that my other issues don't need to be addressed, and that's okay. But, just in case, here they are again if you missed them:
                        1) On the second code extract (MyDialog.cs), you have entered some lines of code, but nowhere do you tell the viewer that he must enter those lines of code. The lines that are not in the program until you insert them are the following:
                        public string InString = string.Empty;
                        public int InInt;

                        public string OutString = "Hello from C#";
                        public int OutInt = 42;

                        label1.Text = "The number from CC2: " + InInt.ToString();
                        label2.Text = "The string from CC2: " + InString;

                        2) When you are changing the form properties, I recommend you tell the viewer to right-click on the form and select properties to bring up the property edit palette.
                        3) When you are telling the location of the C# dll, you say it should be in the debug directory. My debug directory is empty, and the dll is in the level right above the directory. Maybe I did something wrong, but mine works in the end.
                        4) When you say to move it to the directory with the cpp file, a newbie might not know what a cpp file is, and since it's dang near impossible to get windows to list file extensions these days, you probably should be more explicit here.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 6, 2005
                          Lee, your explanation was superb. I think your balance of screen shots
                          and technicality is right on target. I don't know exactly where you're
                          headed, but I'd like to see a tutorial on the new materials for CC3, a
                          tutorial showing how to use a 'managed' dialog box to obtain data for a
                          real-world XP example, and a tutorial showing how to walk through the
                          drawing and do something useful with a subset of items. Another
                          imminently practical XP that wouldn't be too hard, I'd think is an XP
                          that detects when you have more than one object selected and asks you
                          to pick which one you meant. There are many occassions when, in a
                          macro, you want to ensure only one entity is selected, and there's no
                          way to know how many you have. This would be at least an example of a
                          dialog in action.
                          --Dale--

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 6, 2005

                            Thanks Dale,

                            I wish I knew where I was headed as well. ;-)

                            I thought I’d go through my Random Name Generator.  It’s a mix of C++, C# and a macro.  After that I thought I’d alternate between an XP C++ feature like the DL (Drawing List) and C# stuff. I know that Simon has asked about a command that exports the sheets in a map.  Since sheets are entities in the drawing list we should be able to knock off a real quick XP that walks through the DL, adds each sheet to an ArrayList (A .Net entity) and then pass the ArrayList to a C# DialogBox.  We could then display the data and allow it to be saved to a textfile.  What do you think.

                            BTW, I’ve made some (I hope I got them all) changes to tutorial #4.  Take a look and tell me what you think.

                            Lee

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 6, 2005
                              Those all sound like good ideas, Lee. I like your changes, and I like
                              the idea of covering debug mode. I used a little of your tutorial
                              format in the project some of us are working on that will describe how
                              to convert hand-drawn maps to 3d terrain. You can see one of the
                              tutorials here:
                              http://www.geocities.com/Bidmaron/Continental_Shelf_Tutorial/
                              ContinentalShelfTutorial.html
                              --Dale--