RE: [cc2-dev-l] Re: My First XP Tutorial

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 21, 2005
      I'll post this to the CC2 L list now.

      From: cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto:cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of saul012000
      Sent: 21 November 2005 14:39
      To: cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [cc2-dev-l] Re: My First XP Tutorial

      Simon,

      Thats what I get for posting at midnight. It was less than a minute fix.

      Lee

      --- In cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Rogers" <simonwork@p...>
      wrote:

      > There are a bunch of dead image links on tutorial1.html. I bet
      they look OK
      > on your system. file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/L.%20Lee%
      >
      > As soon as you have fixed this up, I'll post it to the main list,
      as I am
      > sure there are many would-be developers there.
      >
      > --
      > Simon

      On Behalf
      > Of L. Lee Saunders
      > Sent: 21 November 2005 04:43
      > To: cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [cc2-dev-l] My First XP Tutorial
      >
      > >The absolute basics of getting a project up and running using the
      > >latest free download Visual Studio Express C++ and C# would be
      extremely
      > helpful.
      > >Simon
      >
      > Your wish is my command!
      >
      > My first tutorial is now up on my webpage at:
      > http://home.alltel.net/ls15426/
      >
      > This first tutorial is sets up the free version of C++, the
      Express Edition.

      > The next tutorial will create a pure C++ XP.
      >
      > From there we will get into C# <> C++ interactions and more deep
      stuff.

      > I'd appreciate emails pointing out any errors or miss-spellings.
      Any
      > problems solved on this list will hopefully make it to the
      appropriate
      > tutorials 'What went wrong' section.
      >
      > Any and all feedback is welcome and encouraged!
      >
      > L. Lee Saunders, CC2 Master Mapper

      ~--> AIDS
      > in India: A "lurking bomb." Click and help stop AIDS now.
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/f.ewlB/TM

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/f.ewlB/TM
    • Charles Sykora
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 28, 2005
        Lee, so far so good (downloading the Platform SDK), but a couple of
        feedbacks:
        1) On the Platform SDK, there are 3 different versions of the download
        (x86,ia64, and amd64). A word about which would be best might be
        appropriate. Also, there is a lot of discussion about Windows XP
        Server that might scare off those that aren't running the server
        version of the OS that might be worth a mention.
        2) Just a note to accept the default install locations would comfort
        users that they are putting them in the right place.

        --Dale--

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 28, 2005
          The tutorial has been updated.  Thanks Dale.

          Lee

          Lee, so far so good (downloading the Platform SDK), but a couple of
          feedbacks:
          1) On the Platform SDK, there are 3 different versions of the download
          (x86,ia64, and amd64).  A word about which would be best might be
          appropriate.  Also, there is a lot of discussion about Windows XP
          Server that might scare off those that aren't running the server
          version of the OS that might be worth a mention.
          2) Just a note to accept the default install locations would comfort
          users that they are putting them in the right place.

          --Dale--
          On Nov 20, 2005, at 11:43 PM, L. Lee Saunders wrote:

          >> The absolute basics of getting a project up and
          running using the
          >> latest
          >> free download Visual Studio
          Express C++ and C# would be extremely
          >> helpful.

          Simon

          > Your wish is my command!
          >
          > My first tutorial
          is now up on my webpage at:

          href="http://home.alltel.net/ls15426/">http://home.alltel.net/ls15426/

          This first tutorial is sets up the free version of C++, the Express

          Edition.

          > The next tutorial will create a pure C++
          XP.

          > From there we will get into C# <> C++ interactions and
          more deep stuff.

          > I'd appreciate emails pointing out any errors
          or miss-spellings.  Any
          > problems solved on this list will hopefully
          make it to the appropriate
          > tutorials 'What went wrong'
          section.

          > Any and all feedback is welcome and
          encouraged!

          > L. Lee Saunders, CC2 Master
          Mapper

          it to:   cc2-dev-l@...
          > To Unsubscribe, send a blank
          message to:
          > Yahoo! Groups
          Links

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 28, 2005
            Everyone,

            I now have three tutorials introducing CC2 XP development using the free Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.

            Tutorial #1: Setting Up the environment.
            Tutorial #2: Producing your first Win32 CC2 XP.
            Tutorial #3: Writing your first .Net Framework CC2 XP.

            Hopefully by next weekend I will have Tutorial #4 written.  #4 introduces the ability to call C# from C++!

            Lee
          • Charles Sykora
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 28, 2005
              Everyone should try these. I've been through the first tutorial, and
              it works great. We need XP developers, and it's not that hard (okay,
              Lee helped me work my first one over a year ago). Go ahead, give it a
              shot! I'm a Mac guy, so if I can do Windows development, anyone can.
              --Dale--

              On Nov 28, 2005, at 5:14 PM, L. Lee Saunders wrote:

              > Everyone,
              >
              > I now have three tutorials introducing CC2 XP development using the
              > free Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.
              >
              > Tutorial #1: Setting Up the environment.
              > Tutorial #2: Producing your first Win32 CC2 XP.
              > Tutorial #3: Writing your first .Net Framework CC2 XP.
              >
              > Hopefully by next weekend I will have Tutorial #4 written.  #4
              > introduces the ability to call C# from C++!
              >
              > Lee

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > ▪  Visit your group "cc2-dev-l" on the web.

              > Service.

            • amdobritt
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 5, 2005
                Lee, I'm willing to change the tutorials into a single pdf and put it
                up in the files section, then add to it as more tutorials are
                available.

                Anna M. Dobritt
                Cartography Unlimited for RPGs
                http://www.rpgcartography.com
                The Explorers' Guild
                http://www.theexplorersguild.net

                --- In cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com, "L. Lee Saunders" <saunderl@h...>

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 5, 2005

                  Anna,

                  Any way to get the “word” out would be greatly appreciated.  Have your tried one yet?

                  Lee

                  wrote:

                  > Everyone,

                  > I now have three tutorials introducing CC2 XP development using the
                  free
                  > Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.

                  > Tutorial #1: Setting Up the environment.
                  > Tutorial #2: Producing your first Win32 CC2 XP.
                  > Tutorial #3: Writing your first .Net Framework CC2 XP.

                  > Hopefully by next weekend I will have Tutorial #4 written.  #4
                  introduces
                  > the ability to call C# from C++!

                  > Lee

                • amdobritt
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 6, 2005
                    I'll be trying out one this weekend. Have some work I have to finish
                    up first.

                    What I could do is create the pdf then host the download from my site
                    and put out an announcement on the list. I'd set up a separate page
                    with a link to your site as well. This way everyone would be able to
                    download it and give it a try.

                    Having screenshots is excellent since it allows a person to see what
                    needs to be done and how it should look.

                    wrote:

                    > Anna,
                    >

                    > Any way to get the "word" out would be greatly appreciated. Have
                    your tried
                    > one yet?
                    >

                    > Lee
                    >

                    > _____

                    t=ms&k=Cc2&w1=Cc2&w2=Campaign+cartographer&c=2
                    > &s=36&.sig=JVTcMD6lCGqshgOYmByfvg>
                    >
                    > Campaign
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Campaign+cartographer&w1=Cc2&w2=Campaig

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 6, 2005
                      Anna,

                      Great!  I'm thinking that another download that might help would be if someone would zip up the project files and source code for each tutorial. Anyone want to have their project files zipped up for others to learn from?

                      Lee

                      wrote:

                      > Anna,
                      >

                      > Any
                      way to get the "word" out would be greatly appreciated.  Have
                      your tried
                      > one yet?
                      >

                      > Lee
                      >

                      >   _____
                      >
                      > From:
                      cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto:cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com]
                      On Behalf
                      > Of amdobritt
                      > Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 3:42
                      PM
                      > To: cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: [cc2-dev-l] Re: 3 XP
                      Tutorials Now Available

                      > Lee, I'm
                      willing to change the tutorials into a single pdf and put
                      it
                      > up in
                      the files section, then add to it as more tutorials are

                      available.

                      > Anna M. Dobritt
                      > Cartography Unlimited for
                      RPGs

                      href="http://www.rpgcartography.com">http://www.rpgcartography.com

                      The Explorers' Guild

                      href="http://www.theexplorersguild.net">http://www.theexplorersguild.net

                      > --- In cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com, "L. Lee Saunders"
                      <saunderl@h...>
                      > wrote:

                      Everyone,

                      > > I now have three tutorials
                      introducing CC2 XP development using
                      the
                      > free
                      > > Visual
                      C++ 2005 Express Edition.

                      > > Tutorial #1: Setting
                      Up the environment.
                      > > Tutorial #2: Producing your first Win32 CC2
                      XP.
                      > > Tutorial #3: Writing your first .Net Framework CC2 XP.
                      > >
                      > > Hopefully by next weekend I will have Tutorial #4
                      written.  #4
                      > introduces
                      > > the ability to call C# from
                      C++!

                      cc2-dev-l@e...

                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Cc2&w1=Cc2&w2=Campaign+cartographer&c=2

                      &s=36&.sig=JVTcMD6lCGqshgOYmByfvg>

                      Campaign
                      > <
                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Campaign+cartographer&w1=Cc2&w2=Campaig

                      n+cartographer&c=2&s=36&.sig=vD8eoLNOebG8jJOM5T6XGw>  cartographer

                      >   _____
                      >
                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      *      Visit your group "cc2-dev-l
                      > <
                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cc2-dev-l">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cc2-dev-l> " on the web.

                      unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                      > *      Your use of Yahoo!
                      Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                      href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 6, 2005
                        Peter,

                        I have an XP that calls SetVar. My simple macro looks like this

                        MACRO MYMACRO
                        MYXPCOMMAND;letter
                        TEXTM letter
                        ENDM

                        This works great but I want to be able to end the macro or effect the flow of the macro from the XP.  I've tried this:

                        MACRO MYMACRO
                        MYXPCOMMAND;letter
                        IFDEF letter J_GOOD
                        GOTO J_BAD
                        :J_GOOD
                        TEXM letter
                        :j_BAD
                        ENDM

                        I would think that this would work but it doesn't.  What am I missing?

                        Lee
                      • Charles Sykora
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 6, 2005
                          Lee, as you know, I've done each one of them and would be happy to zip
                          my project files. Just tell me where to send them.
                          --Dale--

                        • saul012000
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 6, 2005
                            Dale,

                            How about if you put them in this goups "files" section?

                            Lee

                            --- In cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com, Charles Sykora
                            <charlesdsykora@m...> wrote:

                            > Lee, as you know, I've done each one of them and would be happy to
                            zip
                            > my project files. Just tell me where to send them.
                            > --Dale--
                            >
                            > On Dec 6, 2005, at 11:33 AM, L. Lee Saunders wrote:
                            >
                            > > Anna,
                            > >
                            > > Great!  I'm thinking that another download that might help
                            would be if
                            > > someone would zip up the project files and source code for each
                            > > tutorial. Anyone want to have their project files zipped up for
                            others
                            > > to learn from?
                            > >
                            > > Lee

                            subject=Unsubscribe>

                            > > > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                            > > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.
                            > > >

                            > > >   _____

                            > > Cc2
                            > > Campaign cartographer
                            > >
                            > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            > >
                            > > ▪  Visit your group "cc2-dev-l" on the web.
                            > >
                            > > ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                            > >
                            > > ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                            Terms of

                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 7, 2005
                              What does MYXPCOMMAND do?
                              Simon

                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 7, 2005

                                I have never used IFDEF so I’m not sure how it is supposed to work. From the help file it looks like your code should have worked…

                                I usually set the macro error flag and use IFERR to jump.

                                To set the error flag in your XP:

                                DWORD *pMacroErrFlag=GetErrFlagAdr();

                                *pMacroErrFlag = TRUE;

                                *pMacroErrFlag = FALSE;

                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 7, 2005
                                  Sorry, I was trying to be generic.

                                  The real code is:
                                  MACRO RNAME
                                  RANDNAME;letter
                                  TEXTM letter
                                  ENDM

                                  It takes in a name of a variable and sets the value of that variable
                                  with a string.

                                  If I use IFZ and only return numbers I have no problem, but of
                                  course nobody wants to name there towns with random number.

                                  I've tried not setting the value of the variable at all and I've
                                  tried setting it to an empty string '\0'.

                                  Either way I get various errors.

                                  (If I could get ExecScriptStg to work, this may be moot, peter?)

                                  Lee

                                  > What does MYXPCOMMAND do?
                                  > Simon
                                  >
                                  > _____

                                  Service

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 7, 2005
                                    > (If I could get ExecScriptStg to work, this may be moot, peter?)

                                    I prefer ExecScriptCopy since it makes its own copy of the string and
                                    doesn't require the memory to be available after your function exists.

                                    For ExecScriptStg ist is ok to do:

                                    ExecScriptStg("PATH;");

                                    But not:

                                    char Cmd[]="PATH;";
                                    ExecScriptStr(Cmd);

                                    ExecScriptCopy works for both cases above.

                                    It is also important to include the ending semi-colon.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 8, 2005
                                      Do either of the macros work with GL in place of RANDNAME?

                                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/f.ewlB/TM
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 8, 2005
                                        I never tried GL, I did try GW though and when I use IFDEF no matter what value or no value I gave when requested, it was always defined.  If I used IFZ then if I typed in a number it worked otherwise it kinda blew up.  Too bad that there does not seem to be a branch statement for strings.

                                        Be that as it may, Peter got the ExecScriptCopy working for me so I no longer need to interact with a macro.

                                        Thanks, Lee

                                        Do either of the macros work with GL in place of RANDNAME?

                                        It takes in a name of a variable and sets the value of that variable with a
                                        string.

                                        If I use IFZ and only return numbers I have no problem, but of course nobody
                                        wants to name there towns with random number.

                                        I've tried not setting the value of the variable at all and I've tried
                                        setting it to an empty string '\0'.

                                        Either way I get various errors.

                                        (If I could get ExecScriptStg to work, this may be moot, peter?)

                                        Lee

                                        > What does MYXPCOMMAND do?

                                        Simon

                                        To: cc2-dev-l@yahoogroups.com
                                        > Subject: [cc2-dev-l] Macro XP ineraction
                                        question

                                        > Peter,

                                        > I have an XP
                                        that calls SetVar. My simple macro looks like this

                                        > MACRO
                                        MYMACRO
                                        > MYXPCOMMAND;letter
                                        > TEXTM letter

                                        ENDM

                                        > This works great but I want to be able to end the
                                        macro or effect
                                        the flow
                                        > of the macro from the XP.  I've tried
                                        this:

                                        > MACRO MYMACRO
                                        > MYXPCOMMAND;letter

                                        IFDEF letter J_GOOD
                                        > GOTO J_BAD
                                        > :J_GOOD
                                        > TEXM
                                        letter
                                        > :j_BAD
                                        > ENDM

                                        > I would think that
                                        this would work but it doesn't.  What am I
                                        missing?

                                        > Lee

                                        to:   cc2-dev-l@e...
                                        cc2-dev-l-