[cc2-dev-l] Re: XP toolkit: char input when requesting a 2D point

  • Christopher Golden
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2000
      Peter Olsson wrote:

      > Your right that didn't work. It looks like it returns an adress
      > to a pointer. I got this line to display what I typed on the
      > command prompt:
      >
      > InfoBox(*(char **)RscAdr(RSC(3652)));

      Hmm, I should've thought of trying to dereference what I got
      back. This works perfectly.

      > Hope that helps,

      Very much, thanks! This is what I needed in order to tie the
      bits of my XP together.

      On a more general note: I've been wondering something this
      morning about the custom XP DLLs we write and re-entrant code.
      It occurred to me that I don't really know how CC2 loads the
      DLLs that hold XPs. What if you have two or more CC2s running
      simultaneously -- does each one load its own copy of each DLL?
      Or more specifically, does each CC2 have its own copy of the
      data variables residing within a DLL?

      I'm asking because if all concurrently-running instances of CC2
      share the same global variables (or static local variables,
      etc.) of a DLL, then some serious problems could crop up when a
      user starts using an XP-provided command in one CC2, then
      switches to another CC2 and starts doing the same thing -- any
      variables that maintain state for the XP are going to be used
      semi-simultaneously by both CC2s, with potentially disastrous
      results.

      I've attempted to see if this is indeed a problem, and my tests
      so far indicate that it is not, that is, each CC2 seems to be
      using a copy of the DLL's variables, and the CC2s are not step-
      ping on one another's toes. But I wanted to check with those
      who might know for certain before I write more code that is not
      re-entrant. :-)

      Take care,
      Chris G.
      golden@...