Custom Entity Question

  • bidmaron
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 25, 2005
      I want to store some information in a map file. What is to keep me from defining a custom
      entity that would never draw anything but could be obtained by an XP to recover that
      information? Is there anything wrong with doing this? I could make thee Get Info request
      return the stored info in a text manner.
      --Dale--
    • jslayton@ridgenet.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 25, 2005
        Doesn't the note entity (ID 129 or 0x81/81h as defined in the header if
        I recall) do this for you? It lets you store text information in the
        file and also allows users to edit this information via the notes
        facility in CC2. You'd have to parse the text info and users could screw
        things up, but it does make it a little easier in many cases. Plus, it's
        already a defined type and has a built-in editor.

        Joe Slayton

        > I want to store some information in a map file. What is to keep me from
        > defining a custom
        > entity that would never draw anything but could be obtained by an XP to
        > recover that
        > information? Is there anything wrong with doing this? I could make thee
        > Get Info request
        > return the stored info in a text manner.
        > --Dale--
      • Charles Sykora
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 26, 2005
          Okay, Joe. That's a good point, and it is certainly a way to get a
          quicker start. I guess my dialog box to obtain and generate the items
          could build a note item pretty easily. Thanks, Joe
          --Dale--

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 27, 2005
            Forwarded from Mike Riddle:

            There is no problem with making a custom entity that never draws, except:
            You will need to provide your own way to create, access, and delete such records, as the only other way to delete it would be to delete all Type=XP entity entities (you could also use layer or color etc to modify the selection for the delete). If you do this, I would recommend putting all such entities on a specific layer devoted to them. Notes are simpler, but as jslaton points out, they allow you less control over how the user works with them.

            Okay, Joe. That's a good point, and it is certainly a way to get a quicker start. I guess my dialog box to obtain and generate the items could build a note item pretty easily. Thanks, Joe
            --Dale--
            On Jun 26, 2005, at 12:13 AM, jslayton@... wrote:

            Doesn't the note entity (ID 129 or 0x81/81h as defined in the header if
            I recall) do this for you? It lets you store text information in the
            file and also allows users to edit this information via the notes
            facility in CC2. You'd have to parse the text info and users could screw
            things up, but it does make it a little easier in many cases. Plus, it's
            already a defined type and has a built-in editor.

            Joe Slayton

            > I want to store some information in a map file. What is to keep me from
            > defining a custom
            > entity that would never draw anything but could be obtained by an XP to
            > recover that
            > information? Is there anything wrong with doing this? I could make thee
            > Get Info request
            > return the stored info in a text manner.
            > --Dale--

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            ? Visit your group "cc2-dev-l" on the web.

            ? To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

            ? Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 27, 2005
              I have sample code to create a no-draw custom entity if you decide to go for
              the XP entity solution.

            • Charles Sykora
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 27, 2005
                Peter, I'm still learning XP's, so any sample code available is very
                valuable to me. I'd love to see it. For right now, I think I'm going
                to use Joe's idea. This gives me a visible way to use the interface to
                see what my program is doing and to bypass my dialog box if I want to.
                Later, I'd like to do the custom entity thing, and I think I'll use the
                Layer idea. The other possibility might be to put them on a sheet by
                themselves that doesn't draw, but the layer is probably the best
                option. I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions!
                --Dale--
                On Jun 27, 2005, at 5:09 AM, Peter Olsson wrote:

                > I have sample code to create a no-draw custom entity if you decide to
                > go for
                > the XP entity solution.
                >
                > Peter

              • Linda Kekumu
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 30, 2005
                  Hi :)

                  I've just run into a situation where I need to delete the Notes from about 300 maps, so I am looking for an easy way to do this. Can I do it via a script file? If so, what would the parameters look like? I really don't want to have to open every map up, delete the Note, Save & repeat :)

                  Thanks in advance for any hints on this!

                  Linda
                • GoodNight
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 30, 2005
                    I thought there was one written for the FR Atlas Project. I will look
                    through my notes to see if I can find it. (The one where we had to add that
                    little Copyright Note to the Notes (I think it was the TSR/WOTC Copyright
                    Statement)

                    John

                    > I've just run into a situation where I need to delete the Notes from about
                    > 300 maps, so I am looking for an easy way to do this. Can I do it via a
                    > script file? If so, what would the parameters look like? I really don't
                    > want to have to open every map up, delete the Note, Save & repeat :)
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance for any hints on this!
                    >
                    > Linda

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    > --

                  • Linda Kekumu
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                      Hi John,

                      Adding them isn't the problem :) Getting rid of them is. I'll have a look through my FR Atlas stuff as well. Thanks for the idea!

                      Linda

                      > I've just run into a situation where I need to delete the Notes from about
                      > 300 maps, so I am looking for an easy way to do this. Can I do it via a
                      > script file? If so, what would the parameters look like? I really don't
                      > want to have to open every map up, delete the Note, Save & repeat :)
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance for any hints on this!
                      >
                      > Linda

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >

                      > --

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                        Hi Linda,

                        If you don't mind compiling the command yourself you can try the stuff
                        below. I haven't tested it, but it should work anyway.

                        DWORD XPCALL DeleteNotesScan(hDLIST hDList, pENTREC pEntRec, PARM parm1,
                        PARM parm2)
                        {
                        if(pEntRec->CStuff.EType==ET_NOTE)
                        DLErase(pEntRec);
                        return 0;
                        }

                        void XPCALL DeleteNotesCmd(void)
                        {
                        ClearSel();
                        MarkUndo();
                        DLScan(NULL, DeleteNotesScan, DLS_Std, 0, 0);
                        CmdEnd();