CC2 SDK

  • Mert Vuraldi
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 27, 2004
      Hi,

      could somebody tell me, where to find files/environment and
      perhaps documentation in order to write CC2 extensions ?

      Regarding the CC2 / Scripting Engine topic:
      I would be glad with just a DLL making CC2 core functions public.
      It might be easier to wrap a COM layer around a DLL e.g. in VB
      than doing that directly in CC2 c-environment.
      Once at a COM level quite a few scripting languages would be able
      to use that.

      Regarding the "IE/VB-Script unity"
      AFAIK once upon a time WSH was shipped with IE5.0.
      So many magazins stated:
      "if you want to use scripting facilities, you have to install
      IE5.0"....

      Regards,

      Mert
    • Bruce A. Carson
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 28, 2004
        I'm surprised that someone more knowledgeable hasn't answered
        already...perhaps they're on vacation? Anyway, your CC2 installation has
        the development files (and even a bit of documentation!) in subdirectory
        called Notes/Developers.

        InterCOM is a utility available in that "Notes/Developers" subdirectory that
        allows you to send commands to CC2 via a disk file. There has been prior
        talk of a COM wrapper for CC2, but the trick would be to make CC2 act as a
        COM server. CC2 has the capability of doing add-ins, but is not architected
        to allow other programs to "drive" it (easily).

        As to WSH, forget about it. MS has dropped that like a red-headed
        stepchild. It allowed way too much abuse from virus writers, so it is now
        not installed by default. I'm sure they'll rename it soon to remove the
        last bit of stigma from it ;^)

        Bruce
        could somebody tell me, where to find files/environment and
        perhaps documentation in order to write CC2 extensions ?

        Regarding the CC2 / Scripting Engine topic:
        I would be glad with just a DLL making CC2 core functions public.
        It might be easier to wrap a COM layer around a DLL e.g. in VB
        than doing that directly in CC2 c-environment.
        Once at a COM level quite a few scripting languages would be able
        to use that.

        Regarding the "IE/VB-Script unity"
        AFAIK once upon a time WSH was shipped with IE5.0.
        So many magazins stated:
        "if you want to use scripting facilities, you have to install
        IE5.0"....

        Regards,

        Mert

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Mert Vuraldi
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 29, 2004
          Hi Bruce,

          thanks for this hint.
          Perhaps I should have made a deeper look at the installation....:)
          I will do now...

          Until now I just motivated CC2 to do things from the outside by
          Sendmessage commands...

          So, as you mentioned, there is no DLL that is exporting CC2 functions
          to the outside :(
          Thats sad.

          Best regards,

          Mert

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 29, 2004
            I believe that there is a visual basic dll in the Files directory of this
            group. L. Lee Saunders wrote it. From an earlier post:
            <<
            Hello Everyone!

            Sorry to be so tardy for uploading this project in response to Chris
            Williams' request. The zip file is in the files directory of this group.
            The zip file consists of two zipped files - one of them is the VB project
            and the other is the VC++ project.

            This project adds a random name generator to CC2. Now with each click of
            the mouse you can name a different village. Change the .dat file and you
            can now generate Orc village names ...

            Inside the VB project is a sub-folder that holds the install script that
            will install the compiled project(s) to your computer. To get it to work
            you will need to install it into your CC2 directory.

            There is a text file that is included that also shows the macro that you
            need to add as well.

            The VB folder also contains a test VB project that can also access the VB
            dll. So, if you develop in a mixed VB/VC++ environment then you can expose
            your VB functionality to other programs as well as to CC2.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 29, 2004
              Thanks Simon,

              I will check this, too :)

              Regards,

              Mert

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 29, 2004
                Hi,

                I took a look at the VBXP stuff.
                In order to ensure, that I understand how it works:

                - Lee created a VB COM object, which is able to generate random names
                - and after that he wrote an C++ XP "wrapper" which enables CC2 to use
                the COM objects random command...

                Lee ?
                Is this correct ?

                Regards,

                Mert

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 29, 2004
                  Intercom uses a memory-mapped file for command interchange, and is much
                  faster
                  than COM. No disk file is involved.
                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 30, 2004
                    Hi Mert,

                    >I took a look at the VBXP stuff.
                    >In order to ensure, that I understand how it works:
                    >
                    >- Lee created a VB COM object, which is able to generate random names
                    >- and after that he wrote an C++ XP "wrapper" which enables CC2 to use
                    > the COM objects random command...
                    >
                    >Lee ?
                    >Is this correct ?

                    Yes sir it is.

                    With this setup you can use the XP dll as a pass-through object to enable
                    interations between CC2 and a VB COM dll. Right now all that can pass
                    between VB and CC2 are standard COM variables but with some work you may be
                    able to pass CC2 data structures.

                    One of the best ideas I've seen for this is interconnecting CC2 entities
                    (using the tag ID) and an Access database. With this you could store extra
                    data about the object ...

                    Another use which if I had the time would be to interconnect multiple CC2's
                    over the internet via VB dlls that communicate over IP. The HOW is not very
                    hard to do. There are tons of examples of VB chat code on the net
                    (www.vbip.com) so the main part of this is writing WHAT will be shared
                    between CC2 instances.

                    Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!
                  • Ken Snellings
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 30, 2004
                      two things immediately spring to mind about the what. (not having a real
                      idea if its even possible of course)

                      1. The hidden/frozen status of layers. (controled from one location (GM) )
                      2. Virtual Miniatures/Markers. (Location, and various attributes (via a
                      database)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 31, 2004
                        Hi,

                        could this work ?
                        Create an XP :
                        - which starts a TCP listerner port
                        - other applications send basic drawing commands to the port
                        - the XP parses the command and executes appropriate CC2 drawing commands
                        - XP quits on special keystroke or quit command

                        Goal would be, to enable other programs to perform CC2 actions/scripting.

                        Question still would be, how to enable this CC2 listening mode from the
                        outside ?

                        Regards,

                        Mert

                        > >In order to ensure, that I understand how it works:
                        > >
                        > >- Lee created a VB COM object, which is able to generate random names
                        > >- and after that he wrote an C++ XP "wrapper" which enables CC2 to use
                        > > the COM objects random command...
                        > >
                        > >Lee ?
                        > >Is this correct ?
                        >
                        > Yes sir it is.
                        >
                        > With this setup you can use the XP dll as a pass-through object to enable
                        > interations between CC2 and a VB COM dll. Right now all that can pass
                        > between VB and CC2 are standard COM variables but with some work you may
                        be
                        > able to pass CC2 data structures.
                        >
                        > One of the best ideas I've seen for this is interconnecting CC2 entities
                        > (using the tag ID) and an Access database. With this you could store
                        extra
                        > data about the object ...
                        >
                        > Another use which if I had the time would be to interconnect multiple
                        CC2's
                        > over the internet via VB dlls that communicate over IP. The HOW is not
                        very
                        > hard to do. There are tons of examples of VB chat code on the net
                        > (www.vbip.com) so the main part of this is writing WHAT will be shared
                        > between CC2 instances.
                        >
                        > Lee

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • saul012000
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 31, 2004
                          Actually Intercom works very much like that right now. To me the
                          main use for TCP would be across the network/internet. When you are
                          on the same box, Intercom already fits the bill.

                          I've got an intercom example that sends macro commands to CC2 from a
                          VB6 app. CC2 then runs the macro.

                          Lee

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 31, 2004
                            Hi Lee,

                            so I could just create the macro dynamically in a VB program
                            and let CC2 execute it afterwards ?
                            Great !

                            How do You trigger CC2 to start this macro ?

                            Regards,

                            Mert

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 26, 2004
                              We are looking for someone who is familiar with the eTools/PCGen's XMS/XML
                              inner workings for some advice. If you are such a person, please can you
                              contact me off list.
                              --
                              Simon Rogers