RE: [cc2-dev-l] CC2 and PHP??!

  • Sam Robinson
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 16, 2003
      In my opinion, if we have an automation interface, then any of the mentioned
      choices is fine. I suggested Javascript 'way back in the beginning of this
      discussion. I've been thinking about the uses of scripting, and am fairly
      excited about the possibilities.

      My feeling is that many of the mentioned choices are a bit obscure.
      Javascript and VB Script are fairly common in the windows world, and java
      script is common everywhere. It makes a compelling case for javascript in my
      mind.

      In other words, yes javascript is a fine first choice.

      Sam Robinson

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 16, 2003
        I disagree. JavaScript is a HORRIBLE language. It is not strongly typed so
        every function call that you try to integrate with would have to attempt to
        convert variable types both on the way into the function and on the way out.
        The syntax is unclear and the implementations that I have seen the compilers
        can't seem to determine where errors lie in the code.

        Java is a better choice, but I don't think that it is any easier to learn
        than C++. One of the targets in the original e-mail was to open up the
        programming to less experienced coders and Java just won't do that.

        Bruce

        > In my opinion, if we have an automation interface, then any of the
        mentioned
        > choices is fine. I suggested Javascript 'way back in the beginning of this
        > discussion. I've been thinking about the uses of scripting, and am fairly
        > excited about the possibilities.
        >
        > My feeling is that many of the mentioned choices are a bit obscure.
        > Javascript and VB Script are fairly common in the windows world, and java
        > script is common everywhere. It makes a compelling case for javascript in
        my
        > mind.
        >
        > In other words, yes javascript is a fine first choice.
        >
        > Sam Robinson

      • Sam
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 16, 2003
          Most scripting languages are pretty horrible, from a language purist's viewpoint. First, they are typically interpreted, rather than compiled. You are correct, they tend to have weak typing (because the user community for them prefers ease of coding to ease of maintenance) I'm curious about your experience with Javascript compilers, as this is not a thing I've ever seen. I certainly would expect this particular version to be an interpreted script engine, rather than a JIT engine.

          Having said that, this is the reason that I want an automation interface. If you prefer <language of your choice here> I would like for you to be able to implement it and give it to the rest of us. If it's truely that much better, then none of use would _want_ to use anything else.

          But as a company, I suspect that Profantasy, or any other company, would prefer to implement a standard widely recognised language, something that most of the potential buyers would know about, even if they didn't know it personally.

          Given that many of us are using C, C++, or assembler to do XPs I think that your comments about horrible languages might need to be reconsidered. Have you seen the kind of havoc that a bug in an assmbley level dll can cause? Any scripting language is safer than that!

          I'm not looking for perfect here, just good enough.

          Sam Robinson

          > I disagree. JavaScript is a HORRIBLE language. It is not strongly typed so
          > every function call that you try to integrate with would have to attempt to
          > convert variable types both on the way into the function and on the way out.
          > The syntax is unclear and the implementations that I have seen the compilers
          > can't seem to determine where errors lie in the code.
          >
          > Java is a better choice, but I don't think that it is any easier to learn
          > than C++. One of the targets in the original e-mail was to open up the
          > programming to less experienced coders and Java just won't do that.
          >
          > Bruce

        • Gregory Simkins
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 19, 2003
            > What about JavaScript/Java? That's free, cross platform and reasonably
            well
            > known
            > Simon

            JavaScript doesn't seem robust enough to handle the job, also it lacks some
            basic scripting needs such as being embeddable and creation of gui elements
            in all os environments - there are platform specific libraries that
            'supposedly' handle this, but I've seen very limited success on this in
            anything but X Window systems - and there it uses a tcl/Tk extension to do
            the work.

            Java, while certainly robust enough, isn't really a scripting language.
            Also as languages go, it isn't really any easier to teach or learn than
            C/C++.

            Side note:
            Just happened across this between classes today (amazing what you can do
            with a minute of searching while kids change classes :)

            http://www.tcl.tk/advocacy/ <- it is unfortunately a biased page, but does
            have a fairly accurate comparison chart of features (of course like all
            'advocacy' charts they only list features inherit to tcl/Tk)

            -Greg, greg@... - http://www.fwpro.org
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 22, 2003
              Whatever programming language we use, the FastCAD core will be doing the GUI
              work. Almost all code will be function calls to FastCAD.
              Simon

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 23, 2003
                Mike? Peter? What do you think? Which language appeals?