CC2 Interactive Map Idea

  • Paris
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2003
      Hello, CC2 Developers!

      I'm very new to this group, but I've been around the CC2-L group for
      a few years.

      I discussed this idea with a fellow mapper and she suggested that I
      submit my idea to the creative people here. (Thanks, Anna!)

      General Concept:
      Use CC2 to create an interactive map for RPGs.

      Specifics:
      1. CC2Pro (and also CD & DD) could be used to create the maps that
      will be used as backgrounds.
      2. The same programs, plus CA, could be used to create the
      characters (I like to call them "virmin"--virtual minis) and set
      pieces as symbols.
      3. The software could look for a CC2 map to place in the background
      and provide the appropriate grid/snaps for movement based on the
      scale chosen by the user.
      4. Then the creator could choose from a list of symbols as the minis
      and set pieces.
      5. Ideally, the software would allow for multiple users to access
      the same map via a network or the internet (similar to Shockwave's
      multiplayer games) and manipulate the pieces as necessary.
      Essentially, you'd have an online battle arena.

      This idea would enable a wide variety of miniatures-based or
      miniatures-oriented games to benefit directly from the use of CC2,
      rather than having to go through a third-party program.
      Additionally, as it was explained to me by a computer programmer
      friend, since CC2 uses a vector graphic format, such a software
      package could take advantage of the great zoom capability in CC2
      without sacrificing image clarity as would happen with a JPEGs or
      GIFs.

      Perhaps later versions could include text or voice chat or even some
      aspects of an online RPG interface, but the basic battle arena tool
      would be the keystone of such a package. No other utility out there
      has the ability to create detailed, well-scaled combat maps with the
      unlimited zoom capability of CC2's maps.

      I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this idea. Since I'm not a
      computer programmer, I can't develop this myself. I was hoping
      someone might consider the idea good enough to actually produce.
      I'd be happy to be part of the design team, of course, but I could
      only provide ideas and feedback.

      Thanks!
      Paris Crenshaw
    • Ken Snellings
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2003
        That is in fact what I was hoping Skirmish was going to be.