Re: [cc2-dev-l] CC2 and VBA - yeah!

  • Bruce A. Carson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
      With great power comes great responsibility...Yes you are vulnerable to
      script attacks with ANY scripting language included in a product. But you
      don't want to handicap the capabilities just because someone might create a
      trojan-bearing map. For example: Word now contains (and is set by default)
      a setting that allows you to disable macros by default. A similar
      capability would ensure that scripts are not executed "unaware".

      As far as costs go, VBA is licensed through Summit software. I have no idea
      what the cost is, but I do believe it is based on expected units sold (e.g.
      not a flat fee).

      IE does NOT have to be installed to use VBA. I don't know where that idea
      came from? IE can use VBScript so IE needs VBA engine loaded if you use
      that, but not the other way 'round. Those rabid anit-MS people on the CC2
      list will have to learn to just get along !

      Bruce

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
        I was figuring that VBA used the standard Windows HTML help engine for
        its help system (assuming it provides one accessible from the user level)
        and that that would, in turn, use IE as its HTML renderer. The old brain
        may be fried.
        Once upon a time, the old VBScript engine was available free of charge
        from Microsoft. Not great, but usable. I don't know what it's doing these
        days, though. It was easy to use but you had to provide COM wrappers for
        all functions that you wanted to call from your scripts. An automation
        interface for CC2 would be a thing of great use to many people from all
        sorts of languages. Who wants to write one?
        Joe Slayton

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
          Some of us anti-Microsoft people, such as myself (the core code author)
          started off very pro-Microsoft, and got burned repeatedly, so we wish to avoid any
          more Redmond control than necessary. I would still consider it if it
          were not for the costs - when there are several no-cost, widely used
          choices available.

          Mike Riddle

          From: "Peter Olsson" <peter@...>

          Hi!

          Any opinions on using PHP as a script language to CC2?
          My idea was to use CC2 as a server much like the PHP <-> MySQL
          interface works.

          Are there better alternatives?
          Anyone with experience from writing extensions to PHP?

          Would a PHP interface be used?
          What are the advantages compared with a regular macro/script?
          For what kind of applications would this be used?

          KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B technology solutions. The most comprehensive IT buyers' information available. Research, compare, decide. E-Commerce | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare | Project Mgt | Sales-Marketing | More
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/cIoLAA/f.ewlB/TM