Symbol Reference questions

  • Jereme Kuperman
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2003
      I'm working on the SVG export project, and am having some problems
      with symbol references. Specifically, I'm trying to understand the
      role of the extents, when it is used, and how it interacts with
      scale. For example, if I create a new map and plop down a couple of
      symbols, the extents are not set. If some of those symbols are
      scaled, I can get the correct scale from the matrix. This works ok,
      up to the point where I try some of the other maps (SS3 symbol demo,
      for one). on these maps, the scaling is set to one, but the extents
      lead me to believe otherwise.

      Any ideas?

      It could be an error in how I am handling the original symbols, but
      that didn't appear to be the case prior to my working with scaling
      and rotation.
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2003
        The symbol extents is not always correctly updated in the symbol
        reference. If you need correct extent values you are better of
        calculating it manually.

        Try:

        GLINE3 Ext

        BgnPExtents();
        EXCheck(pSymRef);
        EndPExtents(&Ext);;

        Transformation properties like rotation and scale for a symbol should
        not be calculated from extents. You have to use the TMat structure
        and extract the values manually or by using CTMSPC2.

        Try:

        TSPEC2 *pSpec;

        LDSymTM(&pEntRec->SymRef.TMat);
        pSpec=CTMSPC2();

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2003
          The extents are for internal use only, and are not always valid. When
          creating
          a symbol def, set the extents valid flag to 0 so the code will know to
          recalc them when it needs to.

          Mike

          Jereme Kuperman wrote:

          >I'm working on the SVG export project, and am having some problems
          >with symbol references. Specifically, I'm trying to understand the
          >role of the extents, when it is used, and how it interacts with
          >scale. For example, if I create a new map and plop down a couple of
          >symbols, the extents are not set. If some of those symbols are
          >scaled, I can get the correct scale from the matrix. This works ok,
          >up to the point where I try some of the other maps (SS3 symbol demo,
          >for one). on these maps, the scaling is set to one, but the extents
          >lead me to believe otherwise.
          >
          >Any ideas?
          >
          >It could be an error in how I am handling the original symbols, but
          >that didn't appear to be the case prior to my working with scaling
          >and rotation.

        • Jereme Kuperman
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2003
            LOL. I figured that there was an easier way. I reverse engineered the matrix
            to get scale and rotation. Should have asked earlier.

            Thanks.

            --- Peter Olsson <peter@...> wrote:

            > The symbol extents is not always correctly updated in the symbol
            > reference. If you need correct extent values you are better of
            > calculating it manually.
            >
            > Try:
            >
            > GLINE3 Ext
            >
            > BgnPExtents();
            > EXCheck(pSymRef);
            > EndPExtents(&Ext);;
            >
            > Transformation properties like rotation and scale for a symbol should
            > not be calculated from extents. You have to use the TMat structure
            > and extract the values manually or by using CTMSPC2.
            >
            > Try:
            >
            > TSPEC2 *pSpec;
            >
            > LDSymTM(&pEntRec->SymRef.TMat);
            > pSpec=CTMSPC2();
            >
            > Peter

          • Linda Kekumu
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
              Hi :)

              I've searched & searched for this but I can't find it. I need to define zoom
              out = shift-z for one of our customers who uses Cadence Virtuoso all the
              time & is used to having Shift + z = Zoom out.

              I know I can use Shift in conjunction with the function keys & we use the
              Carret ^ for CTRL, but I can't find anything on what character we use for
              Shift. I am praying that there's a way to do this! Please, please don't tell
              me it isn't possible to use Shift with a key combo!

              Thanks!

              Linda
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
                It isn't possible with the current code. That is simple an upper-case Z,
                and since the code
                is designed to be case-insensitive, 'z' and 'Z' are the same character.
                Sorry.

                Mike